What’s taking so long

Hi all  just wondering what is taking so long to get this mess sorted out as it didn’t take long to ban it And it really is dragging on now  has anyone got any information or know what is going on and what the next step is to get this sorted out   I have read a few of you have got  individual licenses   Are they needed for pigeon shooting  as I haven’t applied for any licenses as I was just waiting to see what was going to happen but it’s taking so long   Any information would be great cheers  

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Paul123 said:

Are they needed for pigeon shooting

General Licence(GL)31 has already been issued covering shooting of Pigeon to prevent crop damage.  Gove is too busy promoting himself as our next PM to worry about all the outstanding licence`s.

11 hours ago, Paul123 said:

Hi all  just wondering what is taking so long to get this mess sorted out as it didn’t take long to ban it And it really is dragging on now  has anyone got any information or know what is going on and what the next step is to get this sorted out   I have read a few of you have got  individual licenses   Are they needed for pigeon shooting  as I haven’t applied for any licenses as I was just waiting to see what was going to happen but it’s taking so long   Any information would be great cheers  

As JJsDad has said, GL31 has been issued to cover pigeon shooting. If you download it, read it and comply with it it's current form (hopefully to be amended in a more 'fit for purpose' format) then you can carry out crop protection within the terms of the general licence and do not have to apply for an individual licence.

You've only to read on here the extensive coverage and then make your own mind up how you wish to proceed. 

OB

1 minute ago, JJsDad said:

I would have thought that most of the higher management of Natural England & Defra would need to reach for the dictionary in order to understand the term "rush it" !

I don't think so, they know how to "rush it" when it suits their agenda as we have already seen:mad:

Well .before  a crop ripens it will have no pigeon intrest .over it .then it matures and the birds take an interest. (2 days ?) Then they hit it on mass for a few days  (Doing  massive amounts of damage ) before they move on .

So you have about a week (a bit longer )if your lucky,that the birds are on a crop. (Im thinking barely and wheat ) 

So there is no point it scaring birds 3 weeks before the crop has matured .And  if in that critical week  your scaring techniques dont work then the damage will have been done . (No thanks from the farmer ) 

So inreality  id say try scaring for an hour. If it doesnt work .shoot em .

Thats my opinion. Other people are welcome to their own .

Edited by Ultrastu

That's my point,it does not mention how long you should try the "Non Lethel"  methods in GL31,So what happens if some anti films you on his phone then goes to the Police because he suspects that you did not  try ALL the "Non Lethal" methods long enough to deter the Pigeons and it goes to court.

I am not going to risk my SGC and FAC until the current GL31 has been amended and is hopefully easier to comply with and fit for purpose.

What I can see for the GL licence it looks  that there is no hurry  if not at all , they have thrown two individual sweetener's one for crows and one for pigeons to keep the shooting organisations off their back. I also noticed that the shooting organisation's have had not much to say  in the last  one and a half weeks  

Feltwad 

1 hour ago, Lucky Shot 1958 said:

That's my point,it does not mention how long you should try the "Non Lethel"  methods in GL31,So what happens if some anti films you on his phone then goes to the Police because he suspects that you did not  try ALL the "Non Lethal" methods long enough to deter the Pigeons and it goes to court.

I am not going to risk my SGC and FAC until the current GL31 has been amended and is hopefully easier to comply with and fit for purpose.

We were told by our wildfowling club to get back out on the Peas and start shooting the pigeons again , this was well over a week ago .

I have been on my own perms a good few times since we were given the go ahead , the days I don't shoot I walk around our Pea fields and if any are on there then I walk them off , if I shoot on the next day then by walking to my place where I intend to put a hide any pigeons that are on there will fly off .

I have now done my bit and if any come back I will do my best to kill them , no if and butts , I am not a human scare crow when I have got my gun and to be honest I cannot see anyone bothering to film  my actions , if they did it wouldn't bother me one bit as I honestly believe I am not doing anything wrong and complying with the requirements , and the estate will happily back me up on this .

What are you worried about ? as I am a bit confused why people are failing to go now a general license have been issued .

On 05/06/2019 at 21:12, JJsDad said:

General Licence(GL)31 has already been issued covering shooting of Pigeon to prevent crop damage.  Gove is too busy promoting himself as our next PM to worry about all the outstanding licence`s.

will it still be valid do we reckon? as DEFRA now have taken over

7 minutes ago, marsh man said:

We were told by our wildfowling club to get back out on the Peas and start shooting the pigeons again , this was well over a week ago .

I have been on my own perms a good few times since we were given the go ahead , the days I don't shoot I walk around our Pea fields and if any are on there then I walk them off , if I shoot on the next day then by walking to my place where I intend to put a hide any pigeons that are on there will fly off .

I have now done my bit and if any come back I will do my best to kill them , no if and butts , I am not a human scare crow when I have got my gun and to be honest I cannot see anyone bothering to film  my actions , if they did it wouldn't bother me one bit as I honestly believe I am not doing anything wrong and complying with the requirements , and the estate will happily back me up on this .

What are you worried about ? as I am a bit confused why people are failing to go now a general license have been issued .

i am in Norfolk

any chance of me geting to shoot over the peas

43 minutes ago, ghostrider6630 said:

will it still be valid do we reckon?

GL31 has been issued and remains valid until 31st Dec 2019 unless it is revised / amended before the due expiry date.

Edited by JJsDad

3 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

They would have to prove that you werent there on other days .

So did they film you on Thursday when u tried flags .and friday when u tried scare crows .and Saturday  when  etc etc ..

You record your efforts as per gl31.

There is no requirement to record scaring efforts.

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I have also been out shooting. I have shot over clover, rape and peas in the last few weeks. I am anticipating some shooting in standing/laid cereals in the next few weeks. The interesting part will come when people want to shoot the stubbles.

6 hours ago, motty said:

I have also been out shooting. I have shot over clover, rape and peas in the last few weeks. I am anticipating some shooting in standing/laid cereals in the next few weeks. The interesting part will come when people want to shoot the stubbles.

Hi Motty,

As I posted the other day, Caroline Cotterell a director of Natural England, confirmed that it is OK to shoot pigeons on stubbles if you are protecting an adjacent or future crop. That's good enough for me and I will continue to do so at harvest and like Marshman, have the backing of my farmer friends. This could also be extrapolated to shooting a flightline.

OB

8 hours ago, motty said:

Maybe it's the way I am but the N E general license fiasco is now just a distant memory and to be honest while I am shooting I no longer give it a thought , I no longer waste my cartridges on Crows , Rooks ect so what you should or shouldn't do concerning shooting them is no concern to me .

Our first stubble will be Pea stubble , the Peas are now in flower so I expect they will be cut in four to five weeks , the Peas are surrounded by Wheat and Barley fields that will still be standing so I will be shooting the Pea stubble to protect the fields on the other side of the hedge , if the conditions are roughly the same as last year the harvest started on July 11th and I will be doing the same on the Barley stubble as I would have done on the Pea stubble .

So yes I will be shooting over stubble and I guess along with many other pigeon shooters , I think the interesting bit will be roost shooting rather than shooting over stubble , although by next February we should know if we can , or cant . GOOD LUCK in the weeks ahead .