Curious aerial photo

John_R

I was just checking one of my shoot locations on Google Earth, and once I had the info I required I got curious to look at the older historical pictures they offer on the time-line.

On a nearby group of fields, to which I have no access, there was a curious arrangement of patterns of which I grabbed a screen shot:

https://gyazo.com/4829014698442f0c1e4f9d853664ee6d

Might this be an archeological dig as opposed to any farming practice? I have not seen anything quite like it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, John_R said:

I was just checking one of my shoot locations on Google Earth, and once I had the info I required I got curious to look at the older historical pictures they offer on the time-line.

On a nearby group of fields, to which I have no access, there was a curious arrangement of patterns of which I grabbed a screen shot:

https://gyazo.com/4829014698442f0c1e4f9d853664ee6d

Might this be an archeological dig as opposed to any farming practice? I have not seen anything quite like it.

hello, was there a date on the pictures ? on a dig i do not think you would get that pattern effect like you normally get with back fill, very interesting and i would do some more research, cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 minute ago, John_R said:

The google timeline was at 2005. I have searched to see if there is anything online for the area and date, to no avail.

hello, you could print off  a copy and ask the landowner where you shoot if they had a dig in the adjoining farm, the patterns look quite fresh, i do some research for metal detecting on google earth and old maps books and that is very interesting John,   

4 minutes ago, islandgun said:

very odd, looks like vehicle access to each grouping. i could put the pic up on a farming forum i go on if you like

It would appear that the vehicle tracks line up with possible loads of soil or feed dropped, one hell of a soil improvement plan going on in those fields!

hello, it is amazing what you can see and find on google mapping, even drones with high power cameras can reveal land information never seen before,   i have just looked on a local  farm with google earth that has a pig production system but do not quite match those shown on Johns photo, still all very interesting,  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I shoot on a huge free range chicken and turkey farm, the sheds for the turkeys are long sheds that can be split and moved and along each side they have half a dozen hatches they open up in the morning to let the turkeys out, they tend to stay in the sheds or very near the hatches, i am guessing that when they move the sheds to new fields this is how the ground would look after from the air.

1 minute ago, welsh1 said:

I shoot on a huge free range chicken and turkey farm, the sheds for the turkeys are long sheds that can be split and moved and along each side they have half a dozen hatches they open up in the morning to let the turkeys out, they tend to stay in the sheds or very near the hatches, i am guessing that when they move the sheds to new fields this is how the ground would look after from the air.

Where do they sell these huge free range chickens?:whistling:

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Where do they sell these huge free range chickens?:whistling:

Lol, they sell them to marks and spencer, the turkeys are those really expensive ones you see, and get very large in size and price.

Here is a pic of the chicken sheds , these sheds were due rotation and have now moved from these fields, the turkey sheds are at least 3 times longer, unfortunatly i can't find an aerial pic taken in the winter when the turkey sheds are up.

chickens.PNG

13 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, it is amazing what you can see and find on google mapping, even drones with high power cameras can reveal land information never seen before,   i have just looked on a local  farm with google earth that has a pig production system but do not quite match those shown on Johns photo, still all very interesting,  

Yes curious indeed. Those features are not raised above ground level - vehicle track marks can be seen traversing at least one of them and in another part a cow appears to be lying on one.

My suggestion is that those marks have been left on the grass by whatever it was being stored there. What that could be in those configurations is beyond my imagination.