Bogus letters from the police

We have been made aware of bogus police letters being sent to some of our members. This could potentially affect anyone owning firearms, so please stay vigilant and inform others.

The letters inform the addressees of a recent armed trespass and ask for a considerable fee to be paid within two months. Only a mobile phone number is provided, which is what raised the initial suspicion.

Please under no circumstances make the payment
Contact your local police department immediately if you receive such a letter. You can also contact BASC firearms department if you have any further questions.

BASC firearms department: 01244 573 010, firearms@basc.org.uk

An example of the letter is on our Facebook page

Some clever folk at the Met. That article is over 2 years old. They're going to investigate but release nowt until the investigation is complete. Yep, sit tight and do nothing and should anybody ask, the investigation is ongoing. Then, given time, it'll eventually all be forgotten about. Yep, clever folk. The real question is, just like everything else, are we going to let them get away with it - or more to the point, perhaps, can we actually do anything about it?

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

Some clever folk at the Met. That article is over 2 years old. They're going to investigate but release nowt until the investigation is complete. Yep, sit tight and do nothing and should anybody ask, the investigation is ongoing. Then, given time, it'll eventually all be forgotten about. Yep, clever folk. The real question is, just like everything else, are we going to let them get away with it - or more to the point, perhaps, can we actually do anything about it?

This. 

I'd just like to add, that if anyone is stupid enough to be taken in by the scam that is the topic of this thread, and respond to it without making in depth enquiries of their own police force, then perhaps they deserve to be conned. 

6 minutes ago, Scully said:

This. 

I'd just like to add, that if anyone is stupid enough to be taken in by the scam that is the topic of this thread, and respond to it without making in depth enquiries of their own police force, then perhaps they deserve to be conned. 

:good:

34 minutes ago, andrewluke said:

:good:

For all intents and purposes my local constituency, known until recently as 'Honiton', is, in effect, a sinicure. Once you're in you're in for life - in my time there has been just 4 Mps all cons. However, as we know they're in trouble and we have a tasty (in political terms, sadly, also possibly, an anti),  younger lady waiting and ready to pounce. An Independet and thrashed the cons county councillor she recently went up against. Hugo might just need some of us on his side shortly so a surgery meeting about this topic will be arranged ASAP.

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

....and we were told back in 1974 that fast track promotion for Uni Graduates would transform the police service. Believe me that is where it all stems from.  Over Educated Idiots in charge.

I witnessed it go downhill from that point onwards.

This came to mind when I read your post. I had to white one word to obey the forum rules.

Very true words.

Studio_20190606_164024.jpg.6a0c8da388a5fec193e1ad00b6088449.jpg

On 06/06/2019 at 10:01, mick miller said:

Not surprising with the harvesting of data by non governmental bodies and the outsourcing of some licensing bodies.

My thoughts exactly and my fear with the use of data supplied by the most law abiding section of society for the 'individual' General Licence🙄