D Day merged threads

TIGHTCHOKE

I am sat watching the BBC coverage of the Normandy Landings Anniversary in France.

Naga Munchetty has just interviewed Harry Billinge, he is as sharp as a knife and such a memory.

I regularly knock the BBC, but this time they got it just right.

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I am sat watching the BBC coverage of the Normandy Landings Anniversary in France.

Naga Munchetty has just interviewed Harry Billinge, he is as sharp as a knife and such a memory.

I regularly knock the BBC, but this time they got it just right.

I think all the Channels have done a tremendous job of covering the D Day commemorations,...certainly brought a tear or two to my eyes.

Been watching some of the old boys recounting how they felt 75 years today when they reached the landing beach in Normandy , one was saying how rough the crossing was and he was seasick all the way over , then the landing craft got stuck in 7 / 8ft of water , some made it and some didn't as his mate got drowned with the weight of all the gear he was carrying , and another got blown up in one of the wagons that went over a mine , he managed to get to some form of shelter and was saying when he looked round the water had turned Red with blood and body parts lying everywhere , he thought it must be the nearest place to hell .

This was only one of many accounts of young men in there late teens and early twenties who must have been terrified in what was going on around them with the noise , smell and sights .

I am not normally very emotional but the more I watched and listened to these dignified gentlemen it certainly brought a lump to my throat and we can thank people like them for the freedom we are living today.

Do you feel the same way , or can you handle your emotions differently ?. 

Edited by marsh man

Couldn't agree more Marsh Man. There's a tendency to think of these old blokes as having always been old. But they weren't. I think of my lads aged today, 30, 25 and 22. In a different time they would have been there. I can't imagine anything more terrifying than having to do what they did (and for the next year or so).

No - nothing wrong with getting emotional about this at all. Good on you for expressing your feelings.

Very very sad, that this was required of so many young people.

It should never be forgotten what these brave men and women did.

They should be remembered for their sacrifice, but mostly it should be remembered so it never happens again.

Yes it most definitely brings tears to my eyes listening to these brave people's accounts.

I totally agree MM. I'm not ashamed to say that I had tears in my eyes. I've recorded it from 09:45 as I have to go about my day, but certainly will watch it later, and, keep it for as long as possible.

'Thank You' to all who took part in the D Day landings and to those who paid the ultimate sacrifice. God Bless you all.

4 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

I saw a headline that said,  Leaders of Countries that took part in D day gather to celebrate the dead.  In the picture was a group of leaders including Angela Merkel.  I mean I guess technically Germany did take part.  

I have no problem with that. 

Watched the Portsmouth celebration and that was also very well done and to see those guys, most still ramrod straight was very humbling.

Both should be shown in our schools just to remind our mollie coddled youngsters what real men and women look like and through their heroism they are able to live as they do.

There were a lot of German soldiers who HAD to take part, no real option.

Edited by Walker570

The older I get, the more I appreciate what these people did. Totally amazing. As a child I glorified war (1980's war films etc). Now I feel so indebted to these `few`.

The Last Post gets me every time.....

My heartfelt thanks to everyone involved in such a terrible tragedy.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Watched the Portsmouth celebration and that was also very well done and to see those guys, most still ramrod straight was very humbling.

Both should be shown in our schools just to remind our mollie coddled youngsters what real men and women look like and through their heroism they are able to live as they do.

There were a lot of German soldiers who HAD to take part, no real option.

Indeed, to say nothing of the men, women and children who were killed, wounded or had their homes destroyed by allied bombing

" forty-seven immortals of Omaha "  Any one here heard of them?

I can't believe it but I only get circular references to this search and all lead back to the Marshall article in The Atlantic.  I can find many people searching for them, but no answers.

Any one here do any better,

Thanks,

RS

2 minutes ago, scutt said:

Real men ready to stand up for what they believed in.

Just  a thought do any of the TV  channels contribute towards any of the forces charities did they pay for the passage over to Normandy on the boat .

hello, the boat was chartered by the Royal British Legion

10 hours ago, hedge said:

The older I get, the more I appreciate what these people did. Totally amazing. As a child I glorified war (1980's war films etc). Now I feel so indebted to these `few`.

The Last Post gets me every time.....

My heartfelt thanks to everyone involved in such a terrible tragedy.

Probably sums me up nicely.

seen bits and pieces, watched the pipes being played this morning, set some stuff to record.

I hope they continue to remember these events, especially as each passing year we will loose more of these brave individuals.

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

Been watching some of the old boys recounting how they felt 75 years today when they reached the landing beach in Normandy , one was saying how rough the crossing was and he was seasick all the way over , then the landing craft got stuck in 7 / 8ft of water , some made it and some didn't as his mate got drowned with the weight of all the gear he was carrying , and another got blown up in one of the wagons that went over a mine , he managed to get to some form of shelter and was saying when he looked round the water had turned Red with blood and body parts lying everywhere , he thought it must be the nearest place to hell .

Have you seen "Saving private Ryan" realise it's only a film but what you've said was the opening scene. I remember they showed it to veterans who were stunned by how realistic it was, hell indeed.