Football

Gunman

Once again we see more violence springing up by uncontrollable "fans" in Portugal .I dont care what excuses are give , its just a small minority -they are not true fans etc et.al .Its the game itself that attracts these people aided by a media frenzy .A game that is indirectly responsible for more deaths than just about any other sport [ I use the word advisedly] ?

Just think what would be the reaction if it had been hunt supporters or followers or people who had gone to watch a shooting tournament .

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

I think the problem is alcohol. The football fans tend to get boozed up, whereas shooting / hunting fans don't feel the need to get legless and cause trouble.

Quite wrong in my view. I have been to shooting do's where the majority were legless and no trouble at all. The difference is the types of people we are talking about. I don't give a damn what the apologists say about this, they are knuckle-dragging scum, not worthy of anything, let alone a UK passport to go cause trouble abroad. I hope the Portugese police give then a bloody good kicking.

59 minutes ago, WestonSalop said:

Quite wrong in my view. I have been to shooting do's where the majority were legless and no trouble at all. The difference is the types of people we are talking about. I don't give a damn what the apologists say about this, they are knuckle-dragging scum, not worthy of anything, let alone a UK passport to go cause trouble abroad. I hope the Portugese police give then a bloody good kicking.

I assume you mean football hooligans, not football fans in general?

Just now, chrisjpainter said:

I assume you mean football hooligans, not football fans in general?

Happy to be corrected there!! Of course not all football fans are idiots. There again, I suppose it depends on which team you support (before anyone has a fit of the vapours, that was a joke).

Is it just when the fans are following England that they play up,.......the Champions league final didn,t seem to have any problems, but these were club supporters,.......and they drank the place dry according to a couple of mates that went,  70,000 seemed to have a good time (apart from the game).

15 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I think the problem is alcohol. The football fans tend to get boozed up, whereas shooting / hunting fans don't feel the need to get legless and cause trouble.

your not wrong there Gordon iv done football security for six years on several pubs, very close to grounds the one in Burnley the park view was only 200 yards from the ground, even tho the games didn't start till 3pm they wanted us there at 10 am because groups of lads would start drinking soon as they hit town, walking around with bags of booze even tho drinking in some town centres is not permitted. alot of it could of been stopped by the police but they wasn't interested you would be surprised just how many didn't even go too watch the game just there to fight 

34 minutes ago, Datum said:

Last time I replied to a thread called football the whole thread was deleted 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

That's because your thread was years old and you only replied to it because it was years old...not complicated to work out why it was deleted.

I don't think there have been any reports of violence from last night. Travel bans could be in the offing though, and rightly so.

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

That's because your thread was years old and you only replied to it because it was years old...not complicated to work out why it was deleted.

I don't think there have been any reports of violence from last night. Travel bans could be in the offing though, and rightly so.

Complicated no, strange yes. Unless there’s some limitations on thread age? Just happened to read it is all and replied to it in a humorous way in the spirit of the thread. 

As for this thread, the ‘fans’ causing trouble abroad are merely the international version of the thugs looking for a fight who only put on football shirts every week so they can be in a gang and have a ‘cause’ - the football is almost incidental. Lock them up.