New Boat Rod Suggestions

DrBlox

I used to go with my Dad but with increasing boat costs and decreasing time (and fish stocks) I gave it up. But I've been invited for a week on a boat sailing Scotland's West coast at the end of the month. Normally for new gear, my first port of call was http://www.totalfishinggear.co.uk as I liked their cost/quality ratio but I've noticed they've really cut back on the amount of sea stuff they do (no own brand boat rods).

Something that caught my eye was the Shimano TLD A Stand Up, 5.50 Feet, 20 80 lbs, 1 Section, Offshore Boat Fishing Rod with Roller Guides (I'm a braid convert) it's a nice looking rod but as it comes in just under £100 I'm concerned that it's very pricey for what might be just a weeks fishing.

Also some of the Fladen stuff I've bought in the past has been 'alright' - their Fladen Fishing 30lb Euro Gold Full Roller looks 'alright' but, ideally I'd like a pair but I'm only able to source one.

Anyone got any other suggestions. I've got my heart set on a full roller as I'm getting on and my Dad always said that they are the best rods for boat work.

Any other opinions/advice?

I was in an angling club for years,mainly sea angling,i left last year for the same reason,getting too expensive,anything from 15-20 plus  trips per year at an average of £100 per trip all-in soon adds up!,why are you looking at a 30-80 class rod,are you planning targeting skate?,a 20-30 class is plenty for the usual species in the waters around here,even moreso if using braid,much more sensitivity,i'd also be very wary about using braid on a roller eyed rod,even though it may be designed for braid,i've seen it causing problems,the club i was in had a good few very experienced & competitive anglers & not one of them would even consider using roller eyed rods.

Edited by Zedthou

Depending on the type of fishing and depth of water...most fishing here is baited feathers in upto 50m depth so a nice action 20/30lb class with say 25lb braid and 4-5 oz lead depending on tide, would do, If fishing in 150m with a coalie as bait for Common Skate then your first choice [80lb class]. Most of my fishing is done in about 20m of water,  lure fishing for Pollack and i use 15lb braid and a spinning rod

Depends what you fish for, all I've used off the N/E coast is a Shakespeare Ugly Stik 20lb boat rod, never had any problem with the fish I caught.

I have to say it's  an excellent choice, not what I thought at the time though.

If your fishing for Pollack/Bass a decent spinning rod will do, maybe give a Flyrod ago which to me would be a must.

16 hours ago, Zedthou said:

I was in an angling club for years,mainly sea angling,i left last year for the same reason,getting too expensive,anything from 15-20 plus  trips per year at an average of £100 per trip all-in soon adds up!,why are you looking at a 30-80 class rod,are you planning targeting skate?,a 20-30 class is plenty for the usual species in the waters around here,even moreso if using braid,much more sensitivity,i'd also be very wary about using braid on a roller eyed rod,even though it may be designed for braid,i've seen it causing problems,the club i was in had a good few very experienced & competitive anglers & not one of them would even consider using roller eyed rods.

I was looking at a 30lb plus rod because I mainly fish in/off Kent. If I were to buy a decent rod it would give me a kick up the backside to start boat angling again (kerchinggg!!!!!) from Kent where quite a few rays/skate are caught and decent sized huss/smoothhounds.

Your comment on the braid/roller eyes caught my eye because - I've only ever seen a single roller rod in action - it would have been in the late 70's and was used with a reel loaded with wire (shows how long ago!) - a skipper used to it show just how much "give" there was with nylon lines.

Thanks for your suggestions.

14 hours ago, islandgun said:

Depending on the type of fishing and depth of water...most fishing here is baited feathers in upto 50m depth so a nice action 20/30lb class with say 25lb braid and 4-5 oz lead depending on tide, would do, If fishing in 150m with a coalie as bait for Common Skate then your first choice [80lb class]. Most of my fishing is done in about 20m of water,  lure fishing for Pollack and i use 15lb braid and a spinning rod

14 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Depends what you fish for, all I've used off the N/E coast is a Shakespeare Ugly Stik 20lb boat rod, never had any problem with the fish I caught.

I have to say it's  an excellent choice, not what I thought at the time though.

If your fishing for Pollack/Bass a decent spinning rod will do, maybe give a Flyrod ago which to me would be a must.

It's good to have local knowledge!

So it looks like my pair of crappy travel gear (telescopic sea set-up originally from Lidl but rods replaced with Ron Thompson's, ahem, finest) will get yet another holiday outing...

I'll have a look at the Ugly Stiks again.

Thanks again for you input.

I suppose my fascination with the roller rod is analagous the my growing collection of Parkside electric tools from Lidl - all the professional builders I've spoken to have said that they're "...alright..." but I've never seen one owned by a proper builder...

I have 3 Ugly stick GX2 rods 6-12, 12-20, and 20-30 for kayak fishing but mainly fish the east coast of Scotland. The lightest is good for Pollock up to double figures with single lures, the heaviest will tackle similar fish with multiple lures or heavier lures/leads. Nice action and solid glass tip coupled with braid gives good sensitivity.

I use a fixed spool on the lightest rod up to a 7000 or 15 TLD on the heaviest. Have fun and post a report and pictures when you get back

IMG_20190515_114259757~2.jpg

Edited by henry d
Added photo