Aberdeenshire bucks

Nmb

I have shot 6 Bucks so far but I’m going to start my write ups on a Buck I shot on the 9th of May which was only 2 days before my wedding. Getting out into the countryside for a few hours seemed like  the perfect tonic to a stressful week!

i headed out for first light which was about 04:15. The wind was favourable and it was quite biting given it was only 3 degrees.

I started off by heading along the edge of the barley fields which hug the farm yard. I was in no hurry and enjoyed watching a hare going about it’s business and a couple of does grazing in the grass park next door.

After a few minutes I started to walk up the big hill towards the top farm and I knew there were bucks in the area so I was on full alert. Today however they must have been elsewhere as only a young roe doe was to be seen suddenly springing up from the long grass and the stare off commenced! I slowly raised my glasses and watched it pad the grass slightly whilst raising its nose and sniffing the air to see whether I was a threat. The wind being favourable was welcome as this animal loves to bark and I was relieved to see it trot through a hole in the deer fence and into the plantation. Just as i readied myself to leave, the all to familiar “bark” shattered the peace and quiet and the young doe had yet again lived upto its reputation!

From here I headed towards the bracken clad hill where I had been trying to catch up with a nice buck I had been watching for over a year. It was probably a couple of hundred yards before the foot of the hill that I spotted him browsing a gorse bank. I edged around to make sure the hill was acting as a backstop but had unfortunately lost site of the animal.

i set up the rifle on a perfectly placed tree branch and waited patiently for it to reappear. I was rewarded after a few minutes when he started heading in my direction. A short whistle and he presented the perfect shot which was duly delivered from my tikka m55 243. A nice engine room shot and another great morning! 

055-A5-DD3-9513-4-CAC-AF58-B46-E19-EDA71

Edited by Nmb

Thanks!

We are blessed with a huge amount of Roe in my area so usually aim to get about 50-60 Roe per year.(3500 acres combined)

He was a bit scruffy and just over 16 kg so about average for the area. Interesting thing about him was the way one antler had a slight curve in it. Biggest beast Iv had off this area was 21Kg which was an absolute nightmare to carry off the hill to the nearest track! 

Edited by Nmb

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

Went out stalking last Wednesday and despite struggling to get out of my bed at 02:30 after a coffee and a couple of pancakes I was raring to go.

I don’t know whether I’m the only one but I have several parks that I like to check out for deer on the drive to our ground however with the drizzle starting to turn to rain and nothing to be seen in the usual haunts my decision to leave the house seemed a bad one!

Upon arrival I got all my kit sorted and set off on my usual route but unfortunately the wind had changed so I headed back to the car and set off for the other side of the ground where I could use the breeze to my benefit. It was on this journey that I spotted 3 Roe at the base of a grass park which had a large barley clad hill behind it and the castle plantation at its side.

In these situations i tend not to halt in the car and check them with the glasses and instead carry on to a safe parking space. This seemed to be a wise decision as the animals were still in a similar position as I cautiously approached. One of the 3 was a decent buck so I set the rifle upon a fence post and waited for a shot to present itself.

Eventually it turned broadside and I let off the shot. I didn’t hear a thump and all I could see were Roe jumping the fence into the wood. Even when I miss I still check out the area just incase so I walked over to the spot where the buck had stood. It quickly became apparent that my shot had been good and after tracking the blood through the barley the animal was lying some 25 yards away from where it had been hit. 

I usually take photos but the rain was so bad I just did the carcass prep as quickly as possible.

i do have a picture of the skull however so I’ll post it up. The buck was just under 19kg and a very healthy animal so a great morning despite the elements trying to put me off! 

70-EDCF97-057-B-4-E6-B-8534-BFC775-EDD72

Edited by Nmb

• 2 weeks later...

3-EEDC58-D-8-C98-4-DFB-B16-C-4-D5-C27-F5

Managed to Get this nice buck this morning so thought I’d put up a picture. Will put up a account of the day tomorrow. 

Also had this wee chap on the way back!

C2-BE7542-8-CDC-4993-BA36-D41-DA6-C07-DA

had another later on but was getting eaten alive by midges so it never got a photo!

Edited by Nmb

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone been a busy spell getting pheasant pens ready so haven’t been out so much.

i did however go for a look about on Friday morning and as the sun has started to rise later it was nice to get a little longer in bed than I had been allowed previously!

The crops and grass being at their peak means it is difficult spotting deer and almost impossible to shoot however some of the grass parks which had recently been cut looked pretty promising.

It was a lovely morning bright and warm  with little wind which always makes it a little more difficult given the small acreage and layout of this particular area.

i set off from my usual spot pausing to observe a red squirrel darting around the forest  floor before disappearing from view.

Pigeons were plentiful and looked to be heading for their first feed off the day lazily gliding into the almost ripe winter barley parks.

My intended quarry were proving illusive although I would be surprised if I hadn’t passed a few tucked into the long grass or tangle of ferns that seemed to dominate my intended route. 

I spotted a doe and kid on the edge of a big wood plantation and waited to see whether a buck was nearby but there was no sign so I headed back to the car for a well earned coffee and rest before heading to the pheasant shoot to feed the birds.

i picked a nice spot overlooking the castle and next to a fresh cut grass park which rose gently into a wood in the background.

just as I was away to put the flask away a buck shot across the track infront of me and made its way up the slop towards the trees. I grabbed my rifle and shouted at the buck which stopped to have a look back. It was odd shooting a Roe in this way but it was a safe shot and the 223 55grain home load grassed it effortlessly. 

A very much unexpected end to an enjoyable morning!

9-C8-E7-C4-B-6664-43-A9-9757-CD0-EA97-C4This is the Buck. It is a shame it hasn’t got a nice 6th point as it’s a heavy head and would have been a possible bronze medal but still worthy of a nice mount! 

Also thought I’d put up a picture of my first ever medal buck which I shot at the end of April didn’t expect it to make the grade especially seeing some of the huge heads on show but made my day! 

5-FCBEE02-675-E-4-B61-855-A-E5683-B6-D59

A bronze which will be getting mounted at hung in the dining room! 

Edited by Nmb

• 5 weeks later...