Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
moxey

Bsa ultra

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Evening all. Can you fit a new presure gauge yourself on a bsa ultra or is it a job for a gunsmith cheers neil

Edited by moxey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, moxey said:

Evening all. Can you fit a new presure gauge yourself on a bsa ultra or is it a job for a gunsmith cheers neil

Easy enough to do yourself.

Gauges on eBay or lots of online retailers.

 

Edd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

im sure it would be fine..........have used it before on higfh pressure gauges before.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So questions first .

Which bsa ultra ? Older mmc or newer se version .

On the older mmc. There was no factory gauge.but i know xtx and others did a gauge to fit on the end of the air tube .

It was a direct replacement for the standard fill valve .but it extended the airtube around 25 mm this could mean depending on exactly which model the extension would foul and silencer you may want to fit . (This was very true for the scorpion t10 carbine ) and a 30mm barrel extension was available to solve the issue. 

The standard ultra se has a gauge fitted to the underside of the airtube .depending on the stock type .wood or syth the banjo that holds the gauge is different lengths .

There were some single shot ultras (with a bolt ,but without a gauge - or hole in the stock ) these would be tricky to fit without changing the stock for one with a hole or drilling one in your original. 

As far as just changing over a faulty or different colour gauge then shoot all  the air out the gun and unscrew the gauge with your fingers (its on an oring ) the reverse the process .never tighten it up too much (ie with a spanner ) it will crush the oring and make it leak.

Very easy to do .

Ps dont  use ptfe tape to seal on the threads .if its leaking then the oring is squashed or you just need another 1/4 turn .

Ptfe is a bodge and there should be no bodges where 250 bar is concerned.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

didnt know it was seated on an "O" ring....:crazy:..........i shall just dissapear off into the sunset...

 

i was going to suggest a bit of boss white and a few strands of hemp...(im sure they use that at NASA for a few things)

Edited by ditchman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

So questions first .

Which bsa ultra ? Older mmc or newer se version .

On the older mmc. There was no factory gauge.but i know xtx and others did a gauge to fit on the end of the air tube .

It was a direct replacement for the standard fill valve .but it extended the airtube around 25 mm this could mean depending on exactly which model the extension would foul and silencer you may want to fit . (This was very true for the scorpion t10 carbine ) and a 30mm barrel extension was available to solve the issue. 

The standard ultra se has a gauge fitted to the underside of the airtube .depending on the stock type .wood or syth the banjo that holds the gauge is different lengths .

There were some single shot ultras (with a bolt ,but without a gauge - or hole in the stock ) these would be tricky to fit without changing the stock for one with a hole or drilling one in your original. 

As far as just changing over a faulty or different colour gauge then shoot all  the air out the gun and unscrew the gauge with your fingers (its on an oring ) the reverse the process .never tighten it up too much (ie with a spanner ) it will crush the oring and make it leak.

Very easy to do .

Ps dont  use ptfe tape to seal on the threads .if its leaking then the oring is squashed or you just need another 1/4 turn .

Ptfe is a bodge and there should be no bodges where 250 bar is concerned.

 

 

Yes it's just a standard ultra se. gauge under stock cheers neil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, ditchman said:

didnt know it was seated on an "O" ring..............i shall just dissapear off into the sunset...

 

i was going to suggest a bit of boss white and a few strands of hemp...(im sure they use that at NASA for a few things)

Ditchy that is still the best thread sealant for hot water heating pipes.  All the new fangled stuff don't work as good. Lasts many decades too.

 

Edited by figgy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

hello, after years on the Water Board using PTFE tape which i have never thought better than Boss White, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

So questions first .

Which bsa ultra ? Older mmc or newer se version .

On the older mmc. There was no factory gauge.but i know xtx and others did a gauge to fit on the end of the air tube .

It was a direct replacement for the standard fill valve .but it extended the airtube around 25 mm this could mean depending on exactly which model the extension would foul and silencer you may want to fit . (This was very true for the scorpion t10 carbine ) and a 30mm barrel extension was available to solve the issue. 

The standard ultra se has a gauge fitted to the underside of the airtube .depending on the stock type .wood or syth the banjo that holds the gauge is different lengths .

There were some single shot ultras (with a bolt ,but without a gauge - or hole in the stock ) these would be tricky to fit without changing the stock for one with a hole or drilling one in your original. 

As far as just changing over a faulty or different colour gauge then shoot all  the air out the gun and unscrew the gauge with your fingers (its on an oring ) the reverse the process .never tighten it up too much (ie with a spanner ) it will crush the oring and make it leak.

Very easy to do .

Ps dont  use ptfe tape to seal on the threads .if its leaking then the oring is squashed or you just need another 1/4 turn .

Ptfe is a bodge and there should be no bodges where 250 bar is concerned.

 

 

im clearly out of my league when it comes to precharged weapons...i wouldnt know where to start....they are just a totally different ball game to me .............:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im clearly out of my league when it comes to precharged weapons...i wouldnt know where to start....they are just a totally different ball game to me .............:good:

hello, i am sure you would have no problem on PCPs Simon, its a pretty basic concept in design, check out some strip down guides, replacing the O rings is what most needs doing and a good cleaning of parts,    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would be more akin to using a liquid lock or thread sealer, it would cure and fill the voids better, PTFE is good, after all it is the base for Gor-Tex but I would not feel its as capable as a lot of very well designed liquid solutions considering the pressure involved.

Edited by Chaz25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/06/2019 at 23:02, ditchman said:

didnt know it was seated on an "O" ring..............i shall just dissapear off into the sunset...

 

i was going to suggest a bit of boss white and a few strands of hemp...(im sure they use that at NASA for a few things)

Proper job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe the boss white an hemp is not such a bad idea? as I recall NASA and the use of "o" rings did not go to well........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunno how many injectors in cars I've seen with ptfe hanging out the side. They run between 3000-20000 psi (crazy pressures I never knew) 

Yes ptfe is a bodge but it's also grip where it might need to be released when next serviced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of PTFE tapes out there that will handle pressures well in excess of that found in a puff gun - PTFE tape is also good to prevent the seizure of threaded components.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am i the only one who always puts ptfe tape on the wrong way! And too much so it has to come off and start again 😯 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2019 at 17:57, Chaz25 said:

maybe the boss white an hemp is not such a bad idea? as I recall NASA and the use of "o" rings did not go to well........

Hhahaha............when norfolk sent their rocket to the moon....just before take off some little scroat wanged a stone on the pilots window and bust it....so using gud ole norfolk know how sum ole boy went up the ladder with sum gaffer tape and a bin bag and mended it....job was a gooden...and good value for money...:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ditchman said:

Hhahaha............when norfolk sent their rocket to the moon....just before take off some little scroat wanged a stone on the pilots window and bust it....so using gud ole norfolk know how sum ole boy went up the ladder with sum gaffer tape and a bin bag and mended it....job was a gooden...and good value for money...:good:

I heard that when Norfolkstan were going to sent a rocket to the sun, someone queried whether it would be too hot, they replied -:

"We`ve already thought of that, we`re going at night`.

OB

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...