Whats your status. In life?

clay shooter

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do we have to define our status by our jobs and income? Because if not, my status is that I'm effectively exiled from my own country. To get back I have to give up my job and income in Saudi and make myself unemployed. Then, if I put up 63000 quid as a bond, they'll let me and the family back in.  To be fair the kids and I can come anytime but unless we're going to leave their mother behind and leave me as a singe parent we are, as a family , basically barred from the country.  I don't really care for myself but I feel bad for the boys. For example, the youngest has a natural inclination towards sports. This evening we were messing about with a cricket bat and ball on the grass (there's probably not another cricket bat within 200kms of here in Thailand), and I couldn't help but notice that without any kind of formal instruction he  instinctively keeps a straight bat and times it on the button. Would he be competitive at a later age? No idea, but the thing is, we're never going to find out. And I'd like to teach them how to set a snare, and shoot,  and train a working dog. But none of it's  going to happen and that kind of makes me sad. To be honest, I feel a bit betrayed  by own country and that's not a great place to be.  So my status? Exile.

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

To be fair the kids and I can come anytime but unless we're going to leave their mother behind and leave me as a singe parent we are, as a family , basically barred from the country.

Sneak her in like everyone else does, Im not even joking !

9 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Do we have to define our status by our jobs and income? Because if not, my status is that I'm effectively exiled from my own country. To get back I have to give up my job and income in Saudi and make myself unemployed. Then, if I put up 63000 quid as a bond, they'll let me and the family back in.  To be fair the kids and I can come anytime but unless we're going to leave their mother behind and leave me as a singe parent we are, as a family , basically barred from the country.  I don't really care for myself but I feel bad for the boys. For example, the youngest has a natural inclination towards sports. This evening we were messing about with a cricket bat and ball on the grass (there's probably not another cricket bat within 200kms of here in Thailand), and I couldn't help but notice that without any kind of formal instruction he  instinctively keeps a straight bat and times it on the button. Would he be competitive at a later age? No idea, but the thing is, we're never going to find out. And I'd like to teach them how to set a snare, and shoot,  and train a working dog. But none of it's  going to happen and that kind of makes me sad. To be honest, I feel a bit betrayed  by own country and that's not a great place to be.  So my status? Exile.

Theres a woman near me, British with a thriving business, but her ghanaian husband cant come and live with her [I dont know the ins and outs]

My niece married with a child, but her Jordanian husband cant work here 

Painter & decorator. But wanted to be keeper, conservationist or artist when i left school in 81. Ended up doing old school  3yr city and guilds apprenticeship. Got made redundant twice after. Self employed at 21. Sub contracting, contracting now mainly domestics. Working mainly on/restoring/looking after period properties. Varied jobs from. Churches to  new builds, boats, Mansions, living wagons, museums and get to do a few murals. Get to combine work with shooting, fishing and conservation on some of the big properties. Hard work! But ya get out what ya put in.  NB

Developing Engineer says my job sheet. I just do what I'm told and hope no one notices I make it up as I go along mostly.

Formerly in the Newsprint industry but that is dying faster than the Tory party so i got out 11 years ago.

Edited by arm3000gt

🤐When I started this thread I thought I would get some various answers to my question and so I have looking at them. Shows that even the down trodden  proud man can join in and shoot. Well as you all can see.. WE ARE NOT the idle upper class super rich. TOFFS who have money enough to stand in the wind and rain on a shooting peg and happily bang away.. OR spend hours sat after woodpigeon crow etc  in out luxury  made ready hides with a hot toddy and cucumber sandwich at hand then when had enough its...  into the Range Rover and home to our hot tubs in our large homes.  NO.... WE ARE ORDINARY  men (and ladies) who just do the farming community a service and help  to save crops.  Working class/middle class  Ordinary men (and ladies) YES WE ARE...  By gum that's a bloody relief..😂🤐

Edited by clay shooter

14 hours ago, Retsdon said:

hello, am i right in saying you work in Saudi but your wife and family live in Thailand, ? 

53 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, am i right in saying you work in Saudi but your wife and family live in Thailand, ? 

We were all in Saudi until last year, but the school fees were becoming impossible so the wife and kids moved to Thailand where we have a house and I stayed working in Saudi. I'd have liked to have moved them to the UK, a) because I'm not really happy about having my children grow up under a military dictatorship and b) the education system is appalling here (I'm in Thailand at the moment). But I couldn't get the missus in unless I chucked the job in Saudi, put up the 63,000 quid bond and moved with her and that would be one hell of a gamble because if I couldn't have secured a 20,000 a year job, they'd have booted her out.

What irks me is that when the law was introduced it wasn't confined to future spouses. It also included people like ourselves who were already married and who had made life-decisions like starting a family on the basis of long-standing international norms of residence requirements. And lots of my colleagues were blind-sided by it. Last year one was forced to sell the house he owned in his home village in Scotland and move to Malawi for his retirement, his British teenage son having to go with him. My non-British colleagues just shake their heads in disbelief. Americans, Canadians, Kiwis, Irish, Australians, and of course the citizens of every other country in Europe and probably pretty much every other country in the world can all live in the land of their birth with their own children and the children's mother.

Just the UK....

27 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

We were all in Saudi until last year, but the school fees were becoming impossible so the wife and kids moved to Thailand where we have a house and I stayed working in Saudi. I'd have liked to have moved them to the UK, a) because I'm not really happy about having my children grow up under a military dictatorship and b) the education system is appalling here (I'm in Thailand at the moment). But I couldn't get the missus in unless I chucked the job in Saudi, put up the 63,000 quid bond and moved with her and that would be one hell of a gamble because if I couldn't have secured a 20,000 a year job, they'd have booted her out.

What irks me is that when the law was introduced it wasn't confined to future spouses. It also included people like ourselves who were already married and who had made life-decisions like starting a family on the basis of long-standing international norms of residence requirements. And lots of my colleagues were blind-sided by it. Last year one was forced to sell the house he owned in his home village in Scotland and move to Malawi for his retirement, his British teenage son having to go with him. My non-British colleagues just shake their heads in disbelief. Americans, Canadians, Kiwis, Irish, Australians, and of course the citizens of every other country in Europe and probably pretty much every other country in the world can all live in the land of their birth with their own children and the children's mother.

Just the UK....

hello, i can understand how you feel, i have been to Thailand quite a few times and met English men with a Thai wife and family if that is your situation, in fact i often went to visit them and they wanted to return but this system you mentioned stop them from a life in UK, some of these men had retired from the Armed Forces or had a business that went bust as you mentioned from the new regulations put in force by the military dictators, yet in general i found the Thais such good hard working people and always welcomed you to their home, i can only wish you and your family well, cheers   

55 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

But I couldn't get the missus in unless I chucked the job in Saudi, put up the 63,000 quid bond and moved with her and that would be one hell of a gamble because if I couldn't have secured a 20,000 a year job, they'd have booted her out.

Don't take this the wrong way, but if your working in Saudi and probably earning very good money then your qualified and good at something, so getting a job paying £20k is going to be Childs play.

Realise you don't want to pay the bond but would it not be better to sell up in Saudi and Thailand and bite the bullet?

Civil Servant working in the community development sector. I've fished and shot all my life, but its worth noting that my sport has been at the cheaper end of the scale, fishing is on Association water, my shooting has been predominantly rough shooting and I'm a member of a wildfowling club.....although I do save and head out for more expensive trips from time to time.  

Cheers

Aled

31, fathers an arable farmer on 450 acres. I work as a mechanical service engineer for a big UK equipment company on a gov contract. I would like to work on the farm but 450 acres isn’t enough to supply two wages. I help out when needed, and possibly one day step into his boots, that’s if the Labour Party doesn’t get in! 

From 16-20, I worked in a foundry, behind the bar at my local and on Saturdays in shooting season, I was a beater, went into furniture making while still doing bar work. Got laid off from the furniture place, so went into full time bar work. Had a big motorbike accident, so no work for two years and was limited to what I could do. Got into computing and did several courses, which led to me working in road haulage, becoming the transport manager from 1990 to mid 2010.  Had another life changing accident on February 29th 2008 (yes, Leap Year Day), the day my working world ended forever. I got back to work for a little while, then my employer went bust, leaving me with very little in the way of options, the injuries I suffered took their toll and I was no longer able to work, now, I'm medically not allowed to work, I'm in the support group within the DWP and it cheeses me off that I cannot work, both mentally and physically. For a guy who was working full time and more, to a full stop was a huge loss in my life, I loved working and being busy all the time.  Now, the pains, stiffness and recently diagnosed Fibromyalgia, control every aspect of my life and I can tell you, it's not pleasant.

Enjoy what you have, while you can, one day, it could change in an instant, then the regrets can bear down on you, heavier than you could ever believe.

Live for today.

Alan.

2 hours ago, kernel gadaffi said:

From 16-20, I worked in a foundry, behind the bar at my local and on Saturdays in shooting season, I was a beater, went into furniture making while still doing bar work. Got laid off from the furniture place, so went into full time bar work. Had a big motorbike accident, so no work for two years and was limited to what I could do. Got into computing and did several courses, which led to me working in road haulage, becoming the transport manager from 1990 to mid 2010.  Had another life changing accident on February 29th 2008 (yes, Leap Year Day), the day my working world ended forever. I got back to work for a little while, then my employer went bust, leaving me with very little in the way of options, the injuries I suffered took their toll and I was no longer able to work, now, I'm medically not allowed to work, I'm in the support group within the DWP and it cheeses me off that I cannot work, both mentally and physically. For a guy who was working full time and more, to a full stop was a huge loss in my life, I loved working and being busy all the time.  Now, the pains, stiffness and recently diagnosed Fibromyalgia, control every aspect of my life and I can tell you, it's not pleasant.

Enjoy what you have, while you can, one day, it could change in an instant, then the regrets can bear down on you, heavier than you could ever believe.

Live for today.

Alan.

Really sorry to hear of your life changing accidents Alan . All the very best for the future .

Left school in 76 and straight in to a railway apprenceship as a signalling technician, loved the job outside fault finding, using your brain. Job restructured so end up being a glorified cleaner oiling, greasing and dusting, I was in charge of 30 miles of railway track with huge responsibility for safety on £100 a week at 27 years old. I left and got a job with BT, great job fixing telephone lines, up poles and down holes. Sadly I to had a big motorbike crash smashing my leg, left on medical redundancy. Started buying and selling antiques and collectables with my own shop, sell online all over the world now. Can come and go as I please,sell when I want and go shooting when I want, some weeks earn nothing other weeks earn a few hundred quid, but I love being self employed and having the freedom to do as I choose. Got to say though couldn't do this if I didn't have a lovely wife who paid the mortgage.