Question for a decorator

30-6

Can I use a paint pad on lining paper ?

We've had lining paper on a rough plastered landing / stairs for several years. We want to go from a terracotta to white. Cut in with a brush and finished with a roller.  I knew I would need two coats, but after the second coat, the old colour has gone but the finish is patchy, the brush / roller seems to be putting on different amounts of paint.

Will a pad even it up for me if I go all over again ? The paint is valspar matt emulsion, dries quick so it is like trying to put on tarmac.

Used to work for Dulux not a qualified decorator but picked up a few tips from the trade, On a colour such as Terracotta a high opacity emulsion should be used such as Supermat or similar. 50/50 vinyl matt will also work, but may need a couple of coats this will stop the original colour "grinning" through.

We stocked those pads fo a while but they are a bit of a gimmick most professional decorators swear by a brush and roller.. Sounds like your using the wrong roller, 

If the wall is a tad rough then use either a long haired synthetic roller or if your going to keep it a proper long pile sheepskin roller. And sounds like you may want to water down the paint to say 70-30 if its going on like tarmac.Or go out and buy another brand of pain, Crown or Permoglaze are very good.

I always buy our paint from a local decorators supply shop.The paint is far superior in quality than b &q the difference is immediately noticeable.I too have painted over terracotta with no problems.

Good quality rollers certainly help and I find a paint scuttle better than a tray.You can load the roller better

A good quality trade paint such as Dulux white emulsion ( you can get it in 7.5 lt tubs for only 27 quid! ) or Armstead ( Glidden ). Trade paints have great opacity and can obliterate strong undercoats completely. Valspar from B&Q is very good paint, but avoid their own brands. 

We had a large deep red chalk based painted wall in our cottage living room. 

I started with a white emulsion as a cover coat but as you said it went on patchy and was taking ages. 

On advice I bought 5l of dulux colour match (as the other walls are some sort of country cream) and 40 mins later it was done - unbelievably in 1 coat. If I’m being picky I can see a slight pink tinge on the cutting in ceiling join but I think that’s where they started with a brush so it was a lot thicker. 

It definatley pays to buy decent paint. 

In our other house it’s all brilliant white and we can seem to get away with buying cheap 10l tubs for a go over as it all blends in. 

Edited by ph5172

Just use Dulux Trade paint and cut the first coat with 20% water. It's worth the extra cost in the amount of time saved and the especially the quality of the finished job. I prefer almost any other make to the Dulux they sell in DIY shops but IMO their trade emulsion is superb.

just paint it again, those pads aren't worth buying, the industry standard is a mist coat plus two full coats, darker colours can take an extra coat to obliterate entirely, if the darker colour is bleeding through then use something to seal it, either a stabilizing solution or an oil based undercoat to form a barrier