Hoopoe

Davyo

3 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Just seen my 1st Hoopoe today while driving down a narrow lane in Menorca.Thought it was a Jay at 1st glance as it flew over the road about 5mtrs in front of the car.It landed on a fence and it's crest opened,WOW what a sight.

Great to see aren't they,.........the odd one or two drop into the south of England each year.

1 hour ago, Davyo said:

Just seen my 1st Hoopoe today while driving down a narrow lane in Menorca.Thought it was a Jay at 1st glance as it flew over the road about 5mtrs in front of the car.It landed on a fence and it's crest opened,WOW what a sight.

Your in Menorca and and looking at feathered birds and saying wow.  You can tell your of a certain age.

11 hours ago, figgy said:

Your in Menorca and and looking at feathered birds and saying wow.  You can tell your of a certain age.

Son Bou beach for that kind of bird watching figgy.I could watch Euopean birds all day but have to swap the bino's for Mirror Sun glasses.Stops my face connecting with the wife's hand.😇

17 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Son Bou beach for that kind of bird watching figgy.I could watch Euopean birds all day but have to swap the bino's for Mirror Sun glasses.Stops my face connecting with the wife's hand.😇

Ah, Son Bou, that brings back memories, or was that mammaries ? Also Binibeca.

But for the feathered variety, it had to be the reserve at Es Grau.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

11 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Ah, Son Bou, that brings back memories, or was that mammaries ? Also Bini Beca.

But for the feathered variety, it had to be the reserve at Es Grau.

OB

Staying in Binibeca now it's my 4th year in a row.Lovely Villa with a pool at the top of the Village.Love the peace & quiet,not a football shirt in sight.Oh and the sea food @ SA MusMusclera is to die for.

510201981453.jpg

510201981855.jpg

Edited by Davyo

2 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Staying in Binibeca now it's my 4th year in a row.Lovely Villa with a pool at the top of the Village.Love the peace & quiet,not a football shirt in sight.

I think that Binibeca has got to be the best and prettiest place on the Island. Very envious of you  Davyo.

My son lives in mainland Spain in Mijas and has hoopoes in his garden daily.

I see the odd one here in Kent most springs as they pass through. As said, lovely birds.

OB

1 minute ago, Old Boggy said:

I think that Binibeca has got to be the best and prettiest place on the Island. Very envious of you  Davyo.

My son lives in mainland Spain in Mijas and has hoopoes in his garden daily.

I see the odd one here in Kent most springs as they pass through. As said, lovely birds.

OB

Fell in love with Binibeca the 1st time & I now book up before I leave.1st time I've stopped in June.Usually go August but it's too hot on an evening.June it's still 23/25 during the day and stays around 19/20 on an evening.

51020198254.jpg

Saw one in Gosforth near Newcastle Airport in the 70's took a lot of working out what it was back then. No internet only books.

I couldn't believe it!

Neither did I believe my youngest Son when he said he had seen a pair of Bee Eaters near Newtown Aycliffe, Co. Durham   in the 90's when out shooting.

But he had, they made the BBC News, nesting in a local Quarry!

14 hours ago, twenty said:

Great to see aren't they,.........the odd one or two drop into the south of England each year.

I was lucky enough to see one in Kent last year in the spring it sat on the farm drive in front of us only about 20 yds was about for a couple of days.

1 hour ago, Davyo said:

Never move your you head only your eyes. Saves some pain.

I saw numbers of Hoopoes while catfishing on the River Ebro at Riba Rocha, every one a beauty, you could hear them calling hoo poo poo, quite magical. There were also Golden Orioles and little Bitterns, OH! and Storks! flipping amazing!!

It was just as well there were all these natural beauties all around as the Cat-fishing was very slow

9 hours ago, Sussexboy said:

I was working in Shanghai for the last two weeks. There were a lot of hoopooes in the grounds of the business park. First time I had seen them.

I did some bird watching through taxi Windows in Shanghai, saw numbers of black pigeon/dove sized birds which I took to be Mynah birds. Sadly no Hoopoes, lots of LBJs (little brown jobs)

hello, interesting the type of birds you get in hot countries compared to uk, Hong Kong city has few green spaces yet lovely trees are in abundance and always some bird song, as in south China cities where it is all high rise buildings and apartments, staying in my friends many years ago you felt like a bird it was so high up,