72" belt grinder

Last month i went to a country show and entered a competition to win a days knife making course. I couldn't believe my luck when the following week i received the call saying id won!! i attended the course the following week and spent a day forging and grinding a great knife, i paid extra and attended the following day for tuition on handle and sheaf making. The course was brilliant and the end result was a great knife. the other thing i realised was that i definitely need a 72" belt grinder.

After scouring the internet i discovered they are pretty expensive so looked into making one. i opted for a 3hp three phase motor coupled with a VFD so i could make it variable speed. I went to a local trading estate and managed to pick up some rusty old 50x50 and 40x40  steel box section for £15. I ordered up a motor and cheapo chinese VFD as well as some aluminium wheels ( would of liked to make them myself ideally but company politics are preventing me using the equipment at work!!).

i nicked some rough designs and dimensions off of youtoob and then proceeded to chop and weld the frame.

IMG-2804.jpg

IMG-2805.jpg

I then made an idler wheel adjuster by cutting off one side of box section, drilling and making a hinge. i got a bit carried away and didnt document the different stages very well but you get the idea. this mechanism allows you to adjust the tracking of the belt.

IMG-2819.jpg

IMG-2820.jpg

IMG-2821.jpg

The 40mm box section isnt as snug a fit as id like so i cut some shims from box section offcuts and welded them to two sides of the insert.

IMG-2827.jpg

IMG-2829.jpg

Again i got a little excited and haven't photographed how i made the plattern plate, but its just a bit of angle iron with a few holes drilled. I used 12mm bolts as the axles for the rollers.

IMG-2830.jpg

I drilled 12mm holes and then welded 10mm nuts to the frame where inserts can be um ... inserted some of the photos show bolts as i was awaiting delivery of some hand wheels.

IMG-2836.jpg

Heres a quick mock up with the belt in place

IMG-2838.jpg

and here with the hand wheels attached

IMG-2850.jpg

again i havnt shown this very well but beneath the idler wheel is a large spring. the idler wheel is attached to 40mm box section inserted into the frame, the spring is under this to tension the belt. i needed some sort of lever to aid compressing the spring.

IMG-2851.jpg

IMG-2852.jpg

IMG-2855.jpg

IMG-2856.jpg

And heres a quick video right after ive wired in the VFD, i still need to adjust everything to make sure everything is aligned properly as well as set all the parameters on the VFD. i also need to make other attachments such as various contact wheels and tool rest attachments. Not bad for a few weeks work and although still quite expensive ive saved a 300 - 400 quid doing it myself.

ill do a proper video showing things in more detail and like how it all goes together and the VFD changing direction and adjusting speed.

Edited by markyboy07

On 09/06/2019 at 23:50, Gordon R said:

I'm impressed. Why does the belt need to be so long?

I think it helps with heat and means it takes longer to wear out?

On 10/06/2019 at 11:25, ditchman said:

is there a manual version of the speed controller....something with just a knob on it that you can turn.......all that electric stuff frightens me to death.......

ive seen some single phase motor versions and they have different pulley sizes attached with a belt drive, like you'd expect to see when you lift the top lid of a pillar drill

On 10/06/2019 at 12:31, fatchap said:

Are you going to have the 10" wheel for hollow grinds?

Good stuff by the way, Watch out for zirconium belts they are waaaay expensive compared to the 2x72 Ali Oxide.

I do want a larger contact wheel for hollow grinds yes, is ten inch the way to go?? i saw a good vid on you toob with travis wuertz using the plunge saw method ( i think that's what it was called) of hollow grinding, not sure if youve seen it but his technique seems to make it look very doable for a beginner.