First Signs Of Laid Barley

marsh man

Yesterday we had a fair bit of rain with a strong wind , a miserable day for some but for a pigeon shooter it was an ideal combination to knock a bit of Winter Barley about, so it didn't come a surprise when we went out today and saw several patches that have gone down , the first thing I noticed was pigeons sitting on telegraph wires , not many as it have only been less than a day and it will take a few days before they will start dropping in .

With a Yellow weather warning for heavy rain around these parts tomorrow and again on Tuesday there will certainly be more going down , so keep your eyes peeled and I don't think it will be to long before the first reports come in about shooting over barley .

I was thinking exactly the same when I saw the forecast this evening. Having shot a lot of pigeons on laid barley over the years, I know for certain that gas guns and flags etc will do very little to deter pigeons and crows/rooks once they get a taste for it.

10 minutes ago, aga man said:

I was thinking exactly the same when I saw the forecast this evening. Having shot a lot of pigeons on laid barley over the years, I know for certain that gas guns and flags etc will do very little to deter pigeons and crows/rooks once they get a taste for it.

From a farmers point of view it is nigh on impossible to keep pigeons off with the amount grown in the area , also it never ceases to amaze me how many can drop into a small patch and I have had many nice bits of sport by walking down the tramlines towards a small patch where I have seen a few drop in and have a couple of going away shots when they jump up , if your eye is in you can get get a nice little bag and the dog get some nice retrieves , although some people are not to keen in letting there dog anywhere near barley , touch wood I have never had any problems .

I'm from vale area and theres a lot of barley around here this year its all starting lay now but still not seeing much feeding on it but a few starting to fly over now and then, the next 2-3 weeks it will hopefully be worth ago as I haven't been out now for 9 weeks been building scarecrows, not

Edited by Shotguneddy

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2019 at 17:09, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, looks like fields have started turning to in the vale and the rain might flatten some areas, all we have to do is convince our selves we have tried to scare off any hungry pesty pigeons

hello, spoke to soon, looks like on many fields the pigeon and blackies are back in good numbers, sunday looks a good day for around the Vale, not to hot and breezy, i checked a field out yesterday thats just going milky and a very good number shown interest, good luck to anyone out the weekend, cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper