What age to start the young

hello, my younger sons friend has a 6 year old lad, well into the out doors camping/canoe, walking/making camps/ wants to learn to use a small air rifle, i was thinking a HW 25 ? I always wonder going from air rifle to shotgun as i did you need to discipline in two styles of shooting, i was the only one in my family that did any shooting, my two sons now mid 40s were never interested,  

Hes into fishing, as such. Still a bit jumpy of live fish, which hopefully I always put back alive anyway. 

I don't intend him handling guns for many years, nor let him witness me gutting a rabbit just yet. I'll play this next year out, just short fishing trips, and see how next winter plays if he's calm enough for a short walk out with dad on the airgun. 

Thanks all 

20 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

I've a 3 1/2 yo boy who's dying to come out with dad. What age did anybody on here take their kids out with them? 

Im more worried about the safety aspects, not the facts of life, he's used to seeing dead birds ect

Matt

It's about mental age and physical ability in my book.  Safety shouldn't be an issue if you are mindful of that and exercise proper control.

My lad was about 5 when he first let go an air rifle.

:good:

No reason why you can't take out a youngster. I was in a hide with my Dad before my 4th birthday.

However, young children tend to get bored and restless at that kind of age. I reckon short sessions in the field would be the way to go.

Had my lad out at 4 fishing on a tiny whip, similar age he had an hour out watching mine and friends terriers work. He would play with my ferrets on his trampoline. He was in his first year at school when I took him out lamping with a lurcher and proudly carried the rabbit back to the car. 

Sadly the modern Internet age has got to him and he is at Preston University studying sports journalism, he will stand up for fields sports and hunting etc as ice seen him involved in arguments on Facebook etc with lads of his age that aren't willing to know the facts 

XvncDN3.jpgThe boredom thing is real.  I had a deer blind in the woods.  He would come set with me.  He would pretend to be shooting Germans from a bunker.  I would always end up directing cross fire to stop the invisible German advance.  We built a crew serve.  The kid screaming BAM BAM BAM!   Kills all chance of seeing dear.  It’s a old telescope tripod with  a piece of wood and pipe.  The barrel is conduit and yes it has a red dot sight. c4ct1fZ.jpg

Edited by NoBodyImportant

Took my daughter, 3, beating the first time last season and she has held a brace of pheasants etc. Safety wise was no problem as my wife was with her and she listens to instructions. The only thing to bear in mind is that whilst kids seem to generally run round all day, beating is quite tiring and she only really did 1 or 2 drives max. 

She loved it, particularly all the dogs and the food in the shoot room! 

57 minutes ago, simonm said:

Took my daughter, 3, beating the first time last season and she has held a brace of pheasants etc. Safety wise was no problem as my wife was with her and she listens to instructions. The only thing to bear in mind is that whilst kids seem to generally run round all day, beating is quite tiring and she only really did 1 or 2 drives max. 

She loved it, particularly all the dogs and the food in the shoot room! 

Cant say ive ever looked but do they do 'junior' ear defenders? 

Started my lad when he was 9 with a .410 on clays and the odd mooch about the permission with me.  He's now nearly 13 and has his own 20 bore and competes in various junior competitions.  He has no desire to shoot anything other than clays now but has reached a very good level.  Youngest son (now 11) isnt so interested but has inherited his brothers .410 for when he fancies a go.

I think 8 or 9 is about right for shotgun depending on the kids build.