What age to start the young

On 09/06/2019 at 20:33, strimmer_13 said:

I've a 3 1/2 yo boy who's dying to come out with dad. What age did anybody on here take their kids out with them? 

Im more worried about the safety aspects, not the facts of life, he's used to seeing dead birds ect

Matt

Depends on your child, how they obey you and if they are the type to rush out from behind a barrier or a hide. My girl is 4 and I will take her to clays, but I can trust her not to rush past the barrier now. I wouldn't take her at 3. My friend's  boy is happy in a pigeon hide at 2. 

Peltor ear defenders are the most comfortable for littlies we've found. Other brands are available. 

1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

Depends on your child, how they obey you and if they are the type to rush out from behind a barrier or a hide. My girl is 4 and I will take her to clays, but I can trust her not to rush past the barrier now. I wouldn't take her at 3. My friend's  boy is happy in a pigeon hide at 2. 

Peltor ear defenders are the most comfortable for littlies we've found. Other brands are available. 

Touch more heel work required, methinks   !

I did a driven day as a guest and one of the guns dragged along a young lad who didn't look five and was all drssed up in identical gear to his dad. Right from the start he was not enjoying it and as bad luck had it I was drawn on the next pegs and this poor kid just whined and cried all the time. There was little doubt it was a BIG EGO trip for dad. Fortunately he saw the response of both me and his other next door gun and made a call for someone to come collect the poor lad....THEN, I couldn't believe it he sent this kid across the field to meet whoever was picking him up, halfway through a drive.  Pathetic doesn't cover it.   I tell this story in the hope it helps you make a decision about your younster.   I was very lucky being born on a farm with a sporting grandfather and had my first air rifle on my 7th birthday and also allowed to join the shooting parties from that age carrying just a pair of old 16 gauge barrels and should I point them anywhere but super safe I got a clip from  any of the guns present.

This is the crooks of it in my opinion. As per Walkers post, there are a lot of parents who try and rush matters with their children. 

This can have the opposite desired effect ofcourse and the example cited above may put that little boy off shooting for good.

I have always introduced mine to the outdoor way of life when I felt it appropriate but shooting has never been the first outdoor pursuit I’ve introduced them to. For example with my first daughter it was mushroom hunting in the autumn. Get them outdoors as much as possible but avoid bad weather as they will never enjoy it whatever it is. 

Ive seen parents introduce their children to clay shooting too early too and also with inappropriate equipment ie getting them onto a heavier ( both in weight and recoil) gun than is suitable for their age.

If you get them into the outdoors generally you will soon find the age at which they are ready. 

I found fishing another good activity to get them started but make sure it’s somewhere where they have a decent chance of catching something.

I started bringing my son at 4 And  he’s always enjoyed it.If at any point I felt it wasn’t for him I would have stopped taking him.

Before I started letting him shoot I drilled safety into him from a very young age and he’s extremely safe now.

I started him off with an air rifle then a 410 and now shoots a 26inch 12 bore over and under.I started him with 21gram loads he’s now using 28gram and he’s a brilliant shot too.

Edited by Green hornet

Over the years I have been asked on several ocations to look after a child in the beating line. Normally when the parent has had enough of them and they think the child would be better if they are given something to do. If a parent take there son or daughter to a shoot, they should ensure they have 100%    focus on the child.

I also do not believe shoot insurance would cover a child as young as some on the forum are suggesting taking them.

Had to suspend one syndicate member because he insisted in bringing his misbehaved brat to the shoot days. The final straw was when he was running backwards and forwards infront of the line of guns during the drive picking up birds.  You would not believe the response I got.  Go find another shoot was my response and my other members where very relieved.

The problem is these situations then make it so difficult for well behaved kids.

13 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Had to suspend one syndicate member because he insisted in bringing his misbehaved brat to the shoot days. The final straw was when he was running backwards and forwards infront of the line of guns during the drive picking up birds.  You would not believe the response I got.  Go find another shoot was my response and my other members where very relieved.

The problem is these situations then make it so difficult for well behaved kids.

Have seen similar things at a couple of local clay grounds.  Most recently a camouflage clad adult with a pump action using one of the beginners stand, whilst his 2 unruly children were left to run amok around the other stands.  What clinched it for me is when they leaned over the safety barrier on a stand to remove spent cartridges from the bins for their "collection"   He seemed oblivious to the disruption they were causing and more worrying the danger they were placing themselves into.  Fortunately one of the instructors saw this and dealt with it, but I cant believe how some people can let their kids behave this way.

11 hours ago, Wingman said:

Have seen similar things at a couple of local clay grounds.  Most recently a camouflage clad adult with a pump action using one of the beginners stand, whilst his 2 unruly children were left to run amok around the other stands.  What clinched it for me is when they leaned over the safety barrier on a stand to remove spent cartridges from the bins for their "collection"   He seemed oblivious to the disruption they were causing and more worrying the danger they were placing themselves into.  Fortunately one of the instructors saw this and dealt with it, but I cant believe how some people can let their kids behave this way.

I get told off for being to strict . Shop owners and shoot owners have told me to chill but with live firing guns around it’s a safety matter.