The 1980's

ditchman

i spend a bit of my own time now and again...watching the music channels...................i think "right...i will just have 5 mins on my own watching and listening to stuff"..............HUH............50mins later im still there................

what gets me is the artisic quality of the video's..mixed with the music.....some are really awesome.............but my god some are also dire..........

was going to ask what was/is your fav vid from the 80's......................i have so many.............

the one that stands out for me has got to be "the wall"........Floyd............there is just so many of them

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

80s.....so much good music across such a wide spectrum.......but generally........

For quality of production, any of the videos by Ultravox.

For quality of showing off, Duran Duran.

For quality of great music (and still doing it nearly 40.  years later), Depeche Mode !

Favourite individual tracks from the 80s ? I'd be listing them for days !

Voice - Tony Hadley, Alison Moyet, George Michael

Great music for the time - Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, Tears for Fears, Spandau, New Order (just the one track)

Queen, Dire Straits and INXS don't really count as they started in the 70's.

Meh, I prefered the late 70`s lots of exciting stuff going on, juggernaut rock bands starting to get bloaty, prog rock dying out, punk starting off other stuff like the normal, delta 5... which I suppose influenced some of the 80`s stuff. I was away a lot in the early/mid 80`s so I missed a lot of musical stuff, but I have to say I am really enjoying 6 music since I found it 6-7 months ago.

2 hours ago, yates said:

Musically I’d have to go for Big Country or U2. In terms of the videos I’m sure that there a comedy show at the time did a sketch called ‘nice video, shame about the song’ implying that the video was better than the music

"Not the nine o'clock news" crew ? Rowan Atkinson, Mel Smith et Al ?

54 minutes ago, martinj said:

U2 Bad, it doesn't get any better than this musically, not so sure about a sweaty Bono. Edge at his best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2puvI4IfG0

U2 Rattle and Hum full length vid is also worth watching

Much prefer them from the Joshua Tree days, saw them at Wembley and they peeked at that point in 1987!

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Correction

Too many to choose from but from a personal perspective "take on me" is the song from the 80s that we still sing in the car with the "kids" on road-trips.

In terms of voices: female I'd say Annie Lennox or Alison Moyet, male: George Michael

From a purely video production perspective, surely Thriller is the no.1 video of that decade if not all time...

28 minutes ago, Scully said:

70’s teenager here, but I thought the best voices of the 80’s belonged to Annie Lennox and  Alison Moyet.

No videos spring to mind.

Kim Basinger dancing..:eh:  to to the Eurythmics ,"This city never sleeps"  in the film 91/2 weeks,  might qualify...... [ steady chaps]

nineweeks58.jpg.3a7b16d4a076bfddb6934416b4eac218.jpg

Edited by islandgun

Best music video of the 80's??? Now thats a question.

Either Micheal Jackson's Thriller (full version) Scariest mouse I've ever seen, 

or Duran Duran Wild boys.

And worth a mention is Bronski Beat Small Town Boy. Before anyone asks No I'm NOT . but the video tells the story better than the song.

Edited by fatchap

1 minute ago, fatchap said:

Best music video of the 80's??? Now thats a question.

Either Micheal Jackson's Thriller (full version)

or Duran Duran Wild boys.

And worth a mention is Bronski Beat Small Town Boy. Before anyone asks No I'm NOT . but the video tells the story better than the song.

:lol: But you would consider it!:shout:

12 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Kim Basinger dancing..:eh:  to to the Eurythmics ,"This city never sleeps"  in the film 91/2 weeks,  might qualify...... [ steady chaps]

nineweeks58.jpg.3a7b16d4a076bfddb6934416b4eac218.jpg

Was she wearing her BALLET kit?