Rizzini E 12g - thoughts as a starter?

gsalmons

Hi all

My 15 year old has been wanting to dip his toe at clay's but I don't want him dropping my 725! Ideally I wasn't yet looking at a 'starter' for him but I've seen the Rizzini for sale locally for £200 with chokes. It's 27.5" and 14.25" LOP so would be ok for my lad

My budget was £150-£200 max and wanted to go 12g so we can use the same carts etc.

Any thoughts or opinions? By all accounts the bluing is fine & barrels clean.

Thanks for any pointers!

These were low cost guns from new and are similar to several other Italian guns such as older Sabatti, Bettinsoli etc. The handling and operation is reasonably good but they were aimed at the Italian hunters who go out 6 or 8 times a year and bang off 20 or 30 shells each time and are nowhere near as durable as your 725.

I wouldn't recommend one of these for extensive clay shooting having seen 2 or 3 become troublesome, but for occasional use it would probably do the job.

Sounds ideal to me. Is it a private sale or from a dealer? My local gunshop gives warranty even on cheap guns, but even if its private £200 for an over/under is a bargain. I would have thought you would get your money back at re sale. Has your lad shot very much? if not maybe a cheap Franchi semi will get him hooked without dreading recoil.

12 minutes ago, gsalmons said:

Hi all

My 15 year old has been wanting to dip his toe at clay's but I don't want him dropping my 725! Ideally I wasn't yet looking at a 'starter' for him but I've seen the Rizzini for sale locally for £200 with chokes. It's 27.5" and 14.25" LOP so would be ok for my lad

My budget was £150-£200 max and wanted to go 12g so we can use the same carts etc.

Any thoughts or opinions? By all accounts the bluing is fine & barrels clean.

Thanks for any pointers!

hello, if in good working order they are a good starter gun 

Hi this is exactly the same gun as my lad has  he’s had it for about seven years and to be fair it hasn’t missed a beat he uses it for clays pigeons and pheasant,  I think imho It’s a great gun to start with and I think there’s a few of them about so parts are good as well, any shot gun can let you down even the new ones,  I don’t know how big your lad is  but if he can manage it I would say go for it I don’t think you’ll be disappointed  and they look nice with the sideplates as well  regards  Silverfox 1  just to add it was secondhand when he bought it as well hope this helps 

Edited by silver fox 1

Hi

Just had a few pics from the seller - all looks ok except the attached which shows the screw on the sideplate slightly 'chewed'! It appears the same on both sides. I appreciate it's an old gun so expect some wear & tear etc, but is this something that rings alarm bells at all to the forum members at all?

If it's nothing to worry about I expect I'll end up getting it.....

Thanks again all!

Capture.JPG

17 minutes ago, gsalmons said:

Hi

Just had a few pics from the seller - all looks ok except the attached which shows the screw on the sideplate slightly 'chewed'! It appears the same on both sides. I appreciate it's an old gun so expect some wear & tear etc, but is this something that rings alarm bells at all to the forum members at all?

If it's nothing to worry about I expect I'll end up getting it.....

Thanks again all!

Capture.JPG

hello, if it is only to hold the side plates i would not worry, goes to show you need proper gunsmith tools, the screw heads should clean up if you decide to buy, only trying it out first and making sure its a good fit for your son would be my thought,

Chewed screws mean one of two things .

1 the screws keep coming loose and have been tightened with a badly fitting screw driver .

2 the gun has had the stock taken off many times .

I would suspect [hope ] the first option and suggest a drop of thread lock .For £00 you can not really go wrong .

Dont know how big you lad is and I dont personally  recommend anything above a 28" barrel for a starter so this should be fine .

Stick with one set of chokes and one cartridge and get him to practice his stance and mount until his arms ache .

If it fits your lad then go for it, £200 sounds about right. 21g clay loads and a bit of padding to soak up any recoil and off you go. Ask a few questions "....about these screws?..any problems you know of? etc." Offer £150 then settle in the middle somewhere. Mention the obvious visible damage  it may help to knock off a few quid? Tell him its for your lad he may throw in some extras. Buyers market at the moment. Good luck.

Edited by moor man

So - after trying to arrange a 'view to buy' the seller hasn't responded to texts etc.! I'll hang on in case he's away on holiday or something but for now I'm holding off.

In the meantime - if anyone has a decent cond 12g o/u ideally 28" for a 'starter' gun for my lad & not too far from Alfreton, Derbys I've a max £200 budget....!

Cheers

3 hours ago, gsalmons said:

So - after trying to arrange a 'view to buy' the seller hasn't responded to texts etc.! I'll hang on in case he's away on holiday or something but for now I'm holding off.

In the meantime - if anyone has a decent cond 12g o/u ideally 28" for a 'starter' gun for my lad & not too far from Alfreton, Derbys I've a max £200 budget....!

Cheers

Have you tried j.f nevilles or Melbourne gun they might have something knocking around. My local gun shop  branthwaites has a over and under skb in at £295 I know it's over budget but you might be able to do a deal 👍

Just spotted this on jack hallams website as well if it's any good to you . 

https://www.hallamsguns.co.uk/list-all-adverts///type/shotguns-6?f[0]=ftm_field_ad_priceoriginalcents:[*+TO+700]&expanded=0

Edited by Stephen-H

Maybe look at a Lincoln F.A.I.R the brother to emilio As these are still going strong in business and imported by John Rothery

Emilio married one of the Fausti sisters  if my memory serves me well As for the screws they can be replaced Probably been removed to clean But heh for £200 get the dealer to replace them prior to doing a deal and a slab of cartridges thrown in It's a buyers market just now  Good luck