GL26

47 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

But are WJ say they not live stock as they roam free and cannot be protected under gl26 so that surely means they are saying there wild   

But are WJ say "they not live stock as they roam free" ....but on enclosed private land...

It was just something I read where Avery said if a sheep or cattle wanders on to my land I have an idea who owns it but if a pheasant does how do I know as so it is a Wild bird or something of that description I’ll try and find where I read it 

5 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

But are WJ say "they not live stock as they roam free" ....but on enclosed private land...

I think they are released birds and not for restocking a wild population as later they will be harvested. 

[F18(6)For the purposes of this section the definition of “wild bird in section 27(1) is to be read as not including any bird which is shown to have been bred in captivity unless it has been lawfully released into the wild as part of a re-population or re-introduction programme.

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

One of the reasons for them being reclassified as wild birds once they have left the pen is the land owner is no longer responsible for any accidents caused by the released birds, as anyone who has reared pheasants will know, they will wonder, drive down any country lane near a shooting estate/farm and tell me what you see, wild birds have no owner.   

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

One of the reasons for them being reclassified as wild birds once they have left the pen is the land owner is no longer responsible for any accidents caused by the released birds, as anyone who has reared pheasants will know, they will wonder, drive down any country lane near a shooting estate/farm and tell me what you see, wild birds have no owner.   

Yes but not for the purposes of GL26 protection. 

I guess that once they have left the pen (wild birds) you could apply for one of the other licences to protect the birds from avian predation but WJ argue that its wrong to kill other birds just so shooters have some live targets to shoot at.

I think WJ are on a roll with their partial success of the GL fiasco, they are now looking for chinks in our armour to continue this attack, although I now see that DEFRA have reversed the situation, interesting times ahead me thinks.  

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

I guess that once they have left the pen (wild birds) you could apply for one of the other licences to protect the birds from avian predation but WJ argue that its wrong to kill other birds just so shooters have some live targets to shoot at.

I think WJ are on a roll with their partial success of the GL fiasco, they are now looking for chinks in our armour to continue this attack, although I now see that DEFRA have reversed the situation, interesting times ahead me thinks.  

There is no licence to protect them. I am guessing that once released they are ok on their own.