Things you find in sheds

Wiggum

I actually found similar gun in shed the old lad next door past away and is family asked me if I wanted to clear out is shed and I could keep everything I found well I found a old tin with cartridges in it got me thinking where there’s cartridges must be a gun and there in corner was a old Hessian bag all the oil had dried up on it but inside was a gun.

The action work fine but the barrels where red rusty it was a shame as I would have liked to have used it I never found who made it and this was the time before you had to register your guns and internet .

My brother in law lived in an old farmhouse which he inherited from his parents, but the far end of it was in serious need of renovation. After finding a pair of rusted beyond repair 20 bore barrels in the orchard (!)  I asked if there was anything else gun related laying about.

It turned out there was a very nice sxs 12 bore leaning up against a wall at the far end of the house, but he wouldn’t let me take it for further investigation. All that was wrong with it was a bit of corrosion at the muzzles. 

The years went by and when last I saw it, it was a lump of solid rusted metal, having been left under a hole in the roof, totally beyond repair. Great shame and a total waste. 

12 minutes ago, snow white said:

I actually found similar gun in shed the old lad next door past away and is family asked me if I wanted to clear out is shed and I could keep everything I found well I found a old tin with cartridges in it got me thinking where there’s cartridges must be a gun and there in corner was a old Hessian bag all the oil had dried up on it but inside was a gun.

The action work fine but the barrels where red rusty it was a shame as I would have liked to have used it I never found who made it and this was the time before you had to register your guns and internet .

Id love that. 

My old man found a load of old cartridges in a loft space above a piggery once, long before I was shooting/collecting and got rid of them all. 

Always wonder what else may have been up there tucked away. 

Yes mate when we get a new gun we have to notify the police so it can be put on our ticket.

I don’t know what Wiggum will do with that as it looks like it’s sell by date I think he could make it into a wall hanger you will have to ask him what he is doing with it.

31 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

another project coming on I can see

the only reason i said that was...my mate was given a very similar underlever 12 ...as a wall hangar...........he took it to Richard Gallyon and Richard said it was okay if he very slightly skimmed the barrells...cleaned the metalwork up /....it was damascus barrel....the wood was tatty but not damaged so that was cleaned and recut  all in all he spent about £1500 quid on it...and Richard proofed it for nitro.....the gun was pristene.........totally beautiful.....i did put up a few pics of it about 3 years ago.......

I was given a similar gun by my uncle when my aunt died. Was his, but had it from being a child. He was 70 and it had basically just been used and abused. To cut a long story short the barrels were too severely pitted to use it safely, the action would fall open when fired apparently too. I ended up removing the side plates, and had the rest disposed of :no: it had lovely Damascus finish too.

also when Grandad passed away, mum went through his things and found live bullets of various calibers in a leather box in the wardrobe from years in the army and shooting at bisley! 9mm, .45, 303, .22 there must have been 8 different calibers and in total around 100 rounds.

My ex wife’s dad had an old service revolver under his pillow when he passed away too. The mother in law apparently had no idea he had it? :rolleyes: 

• 2 weeks later...