The BBC Scraping The Free Over 75 License ???

marsh man

Your thoughts on the BBC doing away with free licenses for the over 75 please.

With me only three years away from the allocated age for a free T V license the news is they are now going to do away with the old system and you are going to mean tested before you will be considered for one .

In my case I wouldn't even apply as I am no where well off but I don't receive pension credit and if I am honest I can afford the £3 a week .

I would have thought a fairer way would be say reduce it by 20% from the age of 75 for the next five years so time you are 80 it then becomes free for the rest of your days .

What do you think ??

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m generally a fan of the idea that the people who use things pay for it, and as such if we are going to keep centrally funded broadcasting everyone who wants to view it should pay. 

Ultimately though I would not be upset at doing away with the licence fee and moving to advertising to support the bbc. 

Typical! Because I became eligible for this a couple of weeks back, I banged in for it. Now it looks as though I might get a year's grace before starting to pay again. However, I do share some of the views already given and would be all for the BBC selling advertising time. At least then I wouldn't be paying  Packham directly. 

However, please, nobody mention bus passes.

I saw this on the news last night, if i heard right the Gov, said the BBC had to cover the cost of free for over 75s. So the BBC said they would have to raise the cost for everyone else so did a survey, I think it was 52% said charge everyone rather than give the over 75s free TV licence.

As if the BBC won't make enough money to begin with given how much money their given to start with??

Scrap the totally biased BBC, they are so one sided on all political reporting they make me puke, they pay  themselves huge wages and bonuses, then penalise the viewers by overcharging for licences, scraping free licences for the oldies ( of which I am nearly one myself ) .

I hardly ever watch any or their programs, but have to pay full fees, Netflix, Now TV and even UTUBE have much more interesting and informative programming .

6 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I saw this on the news last night, if i heard right the Gov, said the BBC had to cover the cost of free for over 75s. So the BBC said they would have to raise the cost for everyone else so did a survey, I think it was 52% said charge everyone rather than give the over 75s free TV licence.

As if the BBC won't make enough money to begin with given how much money their given to start with??

They could cut their huge salaries but I’d hazard a guess that would get even less votes 😂

Just a reminder that you only need a TV licence to watch or record live television as it’s broadcast.  Or if you use Iplayer on any device.  Other streaming and catch up services, nope.

You do not need a licence merely because you own a television, contrary to popular belief.

I gave up on broadcast television 2 years ago, and don’t miss it.  Rather than complaining, cancel your TV licences, save £12 a month, and you get the added sense of smug satisfaction that you’re not paying Chris Packham…

Pretty much everyone I know below the age of 40 only has a TV licence because they want to watch sport.  Even then, as the Beeb has naff all, going down to the pub is probably a cheaper prospect…(assuming they can square away the child care aspects with the OH!)

Obviously, I appreciate that for the over-75s, there is a technological aspect to this, and they may wish to continue to watch Coronation Enders Farm, or whatever it’s called.  But I forsee mass cancellations and Netflix subscriptions going up.

29 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

I’m with TC

Scrap it and allow advertising, then record everything and skip through any ads.

To have a two tiered system of some Pensioners receiving a free licence and others not is not the right thing to do in my humble.

same here , best way to do it !

The Biased Broadcasting Corporation accepted they would take over funding the free TV license for over 75's off the government, on the condition they (the BBC) could increase the cost of the TV licence...….....they have increased the cost of the TV licence, every year since...…….now they have reneged on the deal! the Government need to hold them to account and stop this double dealing by the BBC!

Every other country in the world thinks it's utterly laughable that we have to pay a tax to watch TV!

Mrs W and I are actively considering scrapping our TV licence when the time comes and forgetting about the 2 BBC programs a week that we actually choose to watch. My guess is 100s of thousands of over 75s will do likewise and to hell with the consequences. They've used scare tactics for years to frighten people into paying up but in reality the only ones they catch and prosecute are living in places like student accommodation. They won't have a hope of catching half a million pensioners and even if they do there would be a storm of protest.

The upshot of this may force the BBC to operate on a proper commercial footing instead of ripping off the public.

Given the stupidly high salaries paid to the likes of Norton and Lineker etc, money does not seem in short supply. I would scrap the licence and let the BBC compete with the hundred or more other channels, who charge nothing. What do we get for the licence fee - the right to watch free channels? Once TV expanded to more than BBC, the reason for charging a fee went out of the window.

An outdated concept - just get rid.

2 hours ago, Westward said:

Every other country in the world thinks it's utterly laughable that we have to pay a tax to watch TV!

Mrs W and I are actively considering scrapping our TV licence when the time comes and forgetting about the 2 BBC programs a week that we actually choose to watch. My guess is 100s of thousands of over 75s will do likewise and to hell with the consequences. They've used scare tactics for years to frighten people into paying up but in reality the only ones they catch and prosecute are living in places like student accommodation. They won't have a hope of catching half a million pensioners and even if they do there would be a storm of protest.

The upshot of this may force the BBC to operate on a proper commercial footing instead of ripping off the public.

Wrong, we have to pay a ‘Contribution AudioVisual’ for our place in France- can’t comment on other countries but like many things reported, get the facts right ( not intended as a personal insult, more a statement of false info that is always being taken as gospel these days) 

5 hours ago, stu64 said:

If I was a pensioner I would refuse to pay it. When they put me inside for refusal to pay I would get free tv like all the other inmates.......Most of these pensioners have paid there dues and some now struggle to pay for food and heat.

Agree. The vast majority of pensioners have likely paid into the state for years. Let them have a little something back for once.

6 minutes ago, Duckandswing said:

Agree. The vast majority of pensioners have likely paid into the state for years. Let them have a little something back for once.

True enough, we have. Thank you very much. If you could find a way for us to stop paying tax on our pensions, having already paid tax on the income which went towards funding said pensions, that would also be appreciated. :whistling::innocent: