The BBC Scraping The Free Over 75 License ???

marsh man

20 minutes ago, Duckandswing said:

Agree. The vast majority of pensioners have likely paid into the state for years. Let them have a little something back for once.

Thats a vote for Corbyn. Nothing is free. 🙂

Edited by oowee

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Wrong, we have to pay a ‘Contribution AudioVisual’ for our place in France- can’t comment on other countries but like many things reported, get the facts right ( not intended as a personal insult, more a statement of false info that is always being taken as gospel these days) 

I was using a little poetic licence in order to make a point. Ask an American for their opinion on TV licencing!

I don't object to paying for content that I choose to watch but I do object to being legally forced to pay for content which is mostly aimed at others in society. It's certainly not aimed at me, since - with one or two exceptions - I find most BBC output to be utterly missable junk television.

53 minutes ago, wymberley said:

True enough, we have. Thank you very much. If you could find a way for us to stop paying tax on our pensions, having already paid tax on the income which went towards funding said pensions, that would also be appreciated. 

Another thing that could be sorted out is dental treatment for us o a ps , yesterday I went for a check up and it cost me just over £20 , now some of my teeth are getting loose I have got to go every four months instead of six , it seemed to me I was the only one paying out of the 4 / 5 in front of me , most of these who just signed a form were youngsters with a foreign accent .:no:

19 minutes ago, Jega said:

This time last week they were parading out the lads and lasses who were present at d-day ,five days later they take the t.v. licence perk off them.

Superb!

A poster with the pensioners and a comment, " you think you've paid enough? Not yet you haven't"  would win an election outright.

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Another thing that could be sorted out is dental treatment for us o a ps , yesterday I went for a check up and it cost me just over £20 , now some of my teeth are getting loose I have got to go every four months instead of six , it seemed to me I was the only one paying out of the 4 / 5 in front of me , most of these who just signed a form were youngsters with a foreign accent .:no:

I've got a spare set if it's any help.:innocent:

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, another nail in the coffin for those who have worked hard since the end off WW2 and not been able to get a full pension, i would get rid of all those over paid BBC presenters :good: then a few of the top brass who came up with this idea, :shoot:

Lay the blame @ the door of HMG, they off-loaded tv licence funding to the over 75s onto the bbc. This is yet another stealth tax by HMG

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

True enough, we have. Thank you very much. If you could find a way for us to stop paying tax on our pensions, having already paid tax on the income which went towards funding said pensions, that would also be appreciated. :whistling::innocent:

It really is ridiculous to be fair. 

44 minutes ago, Westward said:

I don't object to paying for content that I choose to watch but I do object to being legally forced to pay for content which is mostly aimed at others i

n society. It's certainly not aimed at me, since - with one or two exceptions - I find most BBC output to be utterly missable junk television.

👍

Well I have just spent a most interesting and enjoyable day watching Antiques Roadshow being recorded. Close enough to see every wrinkle on Fiona Bruce's face.

the number of production crew etc was something to behold....I was walking around thinking "I'm paying your wages!....do more'

4 hours ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

Lay the blame @ the door of HMG, they off-loaded tv licence funding to the over 75s onto the bbc. This is yet another stealth tax by HMG

I'm  a little confused here (and with other references to the same thing)...

What is the cost of "funding free tv for over 75s"? 

They don't give them money, they just don't take it from them. Possibly something in admin but that's only the same as if they were charging so it's not a cost to the BBC, it's just less income and they get more than enough of that as it is.

I don't watch much tv at all and would happily never watch anything BBC again if it meant that the tax forced upon everyone could be scrapped.

Edd

8 hours ago, Capt Christopher Jones said:

HMG used to fund the free licence until the Boy George put that burden onto the BBC 

How is the free license funded?!?!

There is no outlay!

It's just a reduced income. It's not as thought there is a set cost to making the stuff that the BBC do, there is a continuous supply of cash robbed from every household in the UK  and they waste (spend?) It however they like. 

I am a firm believer that the license should be scrapped completely, nevermind just for the over 70s.

It's simple blackmail- want to own a tv? Either pay a tax for something you don't necessarily want or face a load of hassle while proving that you don't watch BBC.

If I had more free time to argue it I would not pay the extortionists and would carry on watching other streamed stuff.

Edd

33 minutes ago, eddoakley said:

face a load of hassle while proving that you don't watch BBC.

You don’t have to prove a negative.

Just cancel your direct debit.  Important point is that you do not then tell them you don’t need a TV licence (as you don’t watch live TV as it is broadcast or use Iplayer).  Frankly they don’t believe you, and it just puts you on their list of people to visit.  Remember, these people have no powers of entry, and only secure prosecutions by coercing people to sign statements incriminating themselves.  Tell all family members to immediately close the door on anyone claiming to be from TV licencing, as you would any stranger who turns up on your door.  They are not the police, they do not have powers of entry. In the unlikely event the persist (they won’t, easier targets to pick off), call the police.  Simples.