Sect 1 air rifle

john m

My question would be  "Why?"   your putting in for a 22RF. A standard 12ft lb rifle would fill the slot just below that nicely.  If you had put in for a 17|HMR then yes I might believe an FAC air rifle would be useful.  I have a deadly accurate .22 AA S200 air rifle which if I do my job will head shoot any squirrel or bunny out to 25yrds.  I have a 22RF mit silencer which I use for anyhting out to 50-60yrds when I want absolute silence and the 17HMR does the rest.   I did look at an FAC air rifle some time back but came to my senses and stayed with what I have.

Dont listen to the neysayers If you have a great gun .thats accurate and suits u then much more than likely it will still be accurate at fac with the same pellet .

Go a head and put it it ticket .least you know the gun .an off the shelf ready made one might be a bag of spanners and u wont know till you have bought it and filled your slot .

Then if you want to reject it then its a pain .

Also the idea that fac gun are worth less may be true .but if your gonna keep it what does that matter.

Ps ive had converted  2 

Oh and i find that a fac air can fill a gap nicely between sub 12 and .22 lr .

If you have a fac 177 its nearer the sub 12. 

If you have a .25 fac its nearer the .22lr .

The .22fac air will sit in the middle .

You could always go .30 cal fac air 

And put the .22lr to shame 

27 minutes ago, john m said:

Thanks for the advice gents i might explore the conversion route 

any good gunsmiths who can carry this out?

Put it on ticket do the work your self. 

What cal is your hw100 and is it carbine or full length ? 

Im not aufait with the inner working of hw pcps .but im sure its possible .

Edited by Ultrastu

For affordability,, quality,, value for money,, and being very easy to work on without needing qualifications,, RAPID,,RAPID,,RAPID,, you can't go wrong,, THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION!.

I've had my .25 rapid for 16 years now and I wouldn't change it for anything, it's putting out 37ft/lb, extremely accurate, fill before outing and I have never had to worry about shot count even on a nights lamping, it is very reliable and if I ever do need any parts they are easily sourced and won't break the bank.

Edited by rapid .25

Have to admit  ive also heard that hw 100 s arent particularly great in fac form .not sure why .? 

And that fx really are great as fac guns (i have one also ) 

So next question is .in which cal u thinking ? And for what quarry in which type of circumstances ? 

Im a fan of .177 .22 and .25 in fac air 

They all have their uses .

Its knowing how and for what you are going to be using it. As to which cal is the most suitable .

As far as trajectory. Basically .you would normally set the velocity of any pellet in the 870 - 900 fps range .irrespective of cal .so the trajectory of all three would be very similar .with possibly the .25 cal having slightly the flattest trajetory due to the higher bc value . (But it is slight).If your going for rats and squirrels then the .177 would probaly be the best cal of the 3 .with the .25 being the worst . (Not cos you couldnt hit and kill a rat etc with a 50 fpe .25 .but its fallout risk could be too much /difficult to manage .

The. 22 would sit in the middle .but still be a bit much for rats and high tree squirrels 

Also the good thing about a .177 fac the ideal power is about 16 fpe .with 8.4 grn pellets or 18 fpe with 10.4 grn heavies . (I prefer the 16 fpe 8.4s ) .

This means that you use less air than a .22set at around 28 fpe .and much less than a .25 cal 40 -50 fpe. .

So you can get away with a smaller lighter gun in .177 than the others .

Obviously bullpups are great for high energy and large shot count .but if your gonna target relatively close rats then the high scope mount of a pup .can be a disadvantage and make missing what should be an east 15 yd shot all to possible ..

A  standard rifle set up might be better ?? 

Im thinking fx streamline in .177 set at 16 fpe with exacts .its light has a longish barrel (good for energy ) should get 50 ish shots and has a high capacity mag for those rats.  (And they arent too expensive either). 

On 13/06/2019 at 20:15, john m said:

Probably .177 for it's flat trajectory small vermin rats, squirrels ect and occasional target shooting for zeroing and practice 

happy to take advice on calibre and make of weapon thanks.

Advice from a proper air gun repairer, don't go for a regulated one? Make of that what you will?

On 13/06/2019 at 20:15, john m said:

Probably .177 for it's flat trajectory small vermin rats, squirrels ect and occasional target shooting for zeroing and practice 

happy to take advice on calibre and make of weapon thanks.

hello, if i was going FAC air it would be 22 either a rapid or a BSA R10, a friend has a super 10 in 22 going 30 ish ft llb an awesome rifle, a bit OTT for rats but rabbits to 80 yards with a decent scope,  squirrels in high tree tops !!!! both should do 100 plus shots per charge 

Just now, Mice! said:

Well that seems very strange?? I'd have thought a reg'd gun would be better in FAC for shot consistency 

Me too .

Mine isnt regged .but thats more cos i cant be bothered and it does what i need it to do without one .

Sounds more like some one doesnt like regged guns (which i understand as im not keen either ) but i accept for long range accuracy velocity consistency from a reg is key .