Sect 1 air rifle

john m

3 hours ago, Mice! said:

Well that seems very strange?? I'd have thought a reg'd gun would be better in FAC for shot consistency 

Seemingly from a pro repairers point of view too many regulators home fitted, high failure rate, botched jobs, owners not liking repair costs.

How many times in the field are high shot counts/velocities so important?

Yeah but thats not the fault of the reg per say .

A lot of aftermarket regs are very good 

Huma .lane .tench etc .

The home fitting maybe the problem if they dont live up to expectations. 

There are some main manufacturers regs that are poor (bsa regs for instance are naff ) fx are excellent.

Brocock and airarms use huma regs (so are good ) .

As far as shot counts .a reg will often increase the shot count of an unregged gun but not always the bsa se  range of pcps are an example of a reg not increasing the shot count significantly .

As for shot to shot consistency across the whole  fill range .then a reg can make a difference .thing is you need to be shooting out to significant distances to see a real point of impact change between say 760 and 780 fps (70+ yds )

I set my unregged  sub 12s up with a 0.75 fpe variation so from say 10.75 - 11.5 - 10.75 fpe .this will not show any vertical variation in poi out to 50 yds (standard max range for a sub 12 in .177 ) or 40 yds for a .22 .

Its i push my fac .177 and .22 out to 70 yds and again with velocities around the 900 fps mark my 0.75 fpe rule still works .

Its only on my .25 cal that i push to 100 yds do i "need "a reg .where a 25 fps variation would create a significant vertical poi shift .

Just now, old man said:

Seemingly from a pro repairers point of view too many regulators home fitted, high failure rate, botched jobs, owners not liking repair costs.

How many times in the field are high shot counts/velocities so important?

O dont often run out of air on a hunting trip  even with some guns only doing 30 shots per charge .But it has happened and ive had to cut good sessions short as ive run out .i remember a particularly good pige decoying sesh with a 45 shot sub 12 ..and the pige just kept dropping in .i had to give up after my 45 shots .

Fun tho .

23 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, if i was going FAC air it would be 22 either a rapid or a BSA R10, a friend has a super 10 in 22 going 30 ish ft llb an awesome rifle, a bit OTT for rats but rabbits to 80 yards with a decent scope,  squirrels in high tree tops !!!! both should do 100 plus shots per charge 

I'm very pleased with the performance of my old FAC BSA super 10 running at 29ftlb - very accurate with Bisley Magnum pellets., just about halfway between a 12ftlb air rifle and a .22lr.

35 minutes ago, 1066 said:

I'm very pleased with the performance of my old FAC BSA super 10 running at 29ftlb - very accurate with Bisley Magnum pellets., just about halfway between a 12ftlb air rifle and a .22lr.

hello, they are good FAC air rifle if some what a bit heavy compared to the new R10, they run at 28 ft llb, and 6.5llb 

On 11/06/2019 at 12:44, Walker570 said:

My question would be  "Why?"   your putting in for a 22RF. A standard 12ft lb rifle would fill the slot just below that nicely.  If you had put in for a 17|HMR then yes I might believe an FAC air rifle would be useful.  I have a deadly accurate .22 AA S200 air rifle which if I do my job will head shoot any squirrel or bunny out to 25yrds.  I have a 22RF mit silencer which I use for anyhting out to 50-60yrds when I want absolute silence and the 17HMR does the rest.   I did look at an FAC air rifle some time back but came to my senses and stayed with what I have.

I have .20 fac air & .22 LR, i can & have taken rabbit @ 70m with the air but the LR on rabbits is a game changer. I use air around buildings & where the LR is inappropriate & deadly on squirrel 

Re upping the HW 100, you will devalue it, far better sell it & get a FAC rated Rifle, preferably a Rapid. A Rapid will retain its value & easy to service & large shot count, mine is .20 Cal & laser accurate

Edited by Capt Christopher Jones

Just now, Capt Christopher Jones said:

I have .20 fac air & .22 LR, i can & have taken rabbit @ 70m with the air but the LR on rabbits is a game changer. I use air around buildings & where the LR is inappropriate & deadly on squirrel 

Yes, I use my air rifes around buildings on a very regular basis, four / five times a week, but I have never come across a situation in those conditions where I needed more than 12ft lb.

As said if I need to kill something out over 50yrds then the 17HMR comes out.  I suppose the fact you might want to eat the rabbit may dictate what you use. With me I am there to reduce the numbers and the fox and buzzard reap the rewards.  BUT whatever floats your boat and whatever you get enjoyment from, one hundred percent and a bit more if you can get it.

Today I knew I probably had a fair few tree rats to kill and the range would be out to 60yrds and needed to be silent. No question the Marlin 880SQ got an outing and did the job no problem.

I am sure you could have done the same with your FAC air rifle and had the very same satisfaction and that is what it is all about.  Have fun.

Just now, Walker570 said:

Yes, I use my air rifes around buildings on a very regular basis, four / five times a week, but I have never come across a situation in those conditions where I needed more than 12ft lb.

As said if I need to kill something out over 50yrds then the 17HMR comes out.  I suppose the fact you might want to eat the rabbit may dictate what you use. With me I am there to reduce the numbers and the fox and buzzard reap the rewards.  BUT whatever floats your boat and whatever you get enjoyment from, one hundred percent and a bit more if you can get it.

Today I knew I probably had a fair few tree rats to kill and the range would be out to 60yrds and needed to be silent. No question the Marlin 880SQ got an outing and did the job no problem.

I am sure you could have done the same with your FAC air rifle and had the very same satisfaction and that is what it is all about.  Have fun.

I shoot a lot around Horses so 17HMR is a no no, im up to 218 rabbits so far this year 90 of them, on horse perms

No pun meant but I agree ..horses for courses ...... only 218 ?  What are you doing in your spare time ??:lol: ...no , joking, good going.  All of my rabbit ground has gone quiet RHD I think. Just vanished.   Making it up on the tree rats and back on the magpies again.   It has to be peetling down for me not to be out shooting something for four or five hours or more every day maybe more and that doesn't include travelling time.  Dirty busines but somebody has to do it.  Have fun.