Not Looking Good For Young Game Birds

With all this wet weather and cold nights I fear the worst for the recently hatched out game birds , the rain is bad enough but with cold nights and very little signs of insect life it could be a recipe for disaster .

Our old keeper used to recon Royal Ascot week was the vital week for young game birds and that wasn't that bad , so we will just have to wait to see how bad this week is going to be and lets hope the early ones have now got plenty of feathers on to keep the cold out .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

With all this wet weather and cold nights I fear the worst for the recently hatched out game birds , the rain is bad enough but with cold nights and very little signs of insect life it could be a recipe for disaster .

Our old keeper used to recon Royal Ascot week was the vital week for young game birds and that wasn't that bad , so we will just have to wait to see how bad this week is going to be and lets hope the early ones have now got plenty of feathers on to keep the cold out .

Same here in Gloucester, hasn't stopped raining for two days, low lying meadows holding couple of inches of water now, any cover grasses etc soaked through.

Plus you can see your breath, not good.........this time last year we were desperate for rain.

2 hours ago, greylag said:

Not just wet but very cold,wet birds cold nights not a good combination.Keep our fingers crossed.

Been out from six pm when if finally stopped raining ,although there still look like a fair bit of rain about and we are due for some more tonight and tomorrow . 

I would be surprised if any recent hatched out game birds could survive all this wet and cold weather , the odd night yes but not the best part of a week .

Wildfowl should be alright as most of them paired up early when we had record temps in February and now the broods are looking good , same with the goslings .

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Been out from six pm when if finally stopped raining ,although there still look like a fair bit of rain about and we are due for some more tonight and tomorrow . 

I would be surprised if any recent hatched out game birds could survive all this wet and cold weather , the odd night yes but not the best part of a week .

Wildfowl should be alright as most of them paired up early when we had record temps in February and now the broods are looking good , same with the goslings .

Just started raining again here, supposed to be wet throughout the night and clearing tomorrow, late morning.

We had 3 or 4 weeks of very dry weather, got to the point of doing a rain dance for the newly drilled cover crop. We have now had 2 or 3 days over the past week of rain. We needed it but it can stop now. 

Out yesterday I saw two broods, the first one the chicks must of been close to 5-6 weeks old the other one they were I guess a week old.