What to expect from BoJo... hypocrisy?

henry d

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boris has a history of faults, but he looks likely to be the next Prime Minister. Given the mess we are in at the moment, why do so few people want to look forward, rather than back?

He might make a hash of it - time will tell, but I don't honestly see an alternative. MPs of all parties have probably done or said things which they regret, except Jezzer, who sees nothing wrong with his treatment of the Jews or having a meal with terrorists / spies.

He might just surprise us - as has Trump.

I would expect to see an attempt in the form of a pact from a number of the other candidates to prevent Boris from winning, whether it's enough to prevent him remains to be seen but I'd be very surprised if they are not already plotting.

I admire the confidence that the die hard Brexiteers appear to have in Boris delivering them their Brexit, again time will tell...

12 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I would expect to see an attempt in the form of a pact from a number of the other candidates to prevent Boris from winning, whether it's enough to prevent him remains to be seen but I'd be very surprised if they are not already plotting.

I admire the confidence that the die hard Brexiteers appear to have in Boris delivering them their Brexit, again time will tell...

That possibility has been reported on the news all morning!

I am a Brexiteer, but I have no confidence he can/will deliver Brexit.....but if he doesn't he's toast!

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Dont you think its a sad reflection on our politics, that instead of putting forward a sensible and coherent manifesto of what they will do, they decide to try and nobble the favourite ?

Have they really got so few cards to play, so poor a hand , they decide to shoot the probable winning player, is that what its come to ?

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Having worked with him I would have no confidence he could deliver a cup of tea. 

I am waiting to see a credible plan from any of them. 

If this is correct, why has he polled twice as many votes as his nearest rival, and is red hot favourite to be next PM ?

Is it an Illuminati conspiracy , or is he actually best man for the job/best of a bad bunch ?
Do you still think the ERG (who I would imagine have thrown their support behind him) are a non entity ?

Just now, Rewulf said:

Dont you think its a sad reflection on our politics, that instead of putting forward a sensible and coherent manifesto of what they will do, they decide to try and nobble the favourite ?

Have they really got so few cards to play, so poor a hand , they decide to shoot the probable winning player, is that what its come to ?

Yes, sad reflection and also reflecting the fact that many do subscribe to the notion of anyone but Boris. If the Cons really want to get on with Brexit then they need Raab, with Boris it's anyones guess...

By his very nature he (Boris) is polarising.

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Yes, sad reflection and also reflecting the fact that many do subscribe to the notion of anyone but Boris. If the Cons really want to get on with Brexit then they need Raab, with Boris it's anyones guess...

By his very nature he (Boris) is polarising.

Its a popularity contest a this stage, and despite his floppy haired silliness , Boris is winning, easily.

I dont think Raab would be too bad, but he wont win.

1 minute ago, Rewulf said:

Its a popularity contest a this stage, and despite his floppy haired silliness , Boris is winning, easily.

I dont think Raab would be too bad, but he wont win.

I agree but the thing is the anti-Boris camp haven't played their cards yet and it's still possible Boris could be his own undoing (either deliberately or not).

Just now, Raja Clavata said:

I agree but the thing is the anti-Boris camp haven't played their cards yet and it's still possible Boris could be his own undoing (either deliberately or not).

I dont believe theyve got any more cards to play TBH , the clock is ticking...
As far as Boris 'undoing' himself, if he hasnt had enough goes so far at it, and is still there , alive and kicking ?

Im not saying hes teflon coated, but he has support , and lots of it for SOME reason.
Hes very 'human' he has failings , people like that.

I think he was shrewd to skip a clash with some who are going to get dumped from the contest - some might be voting for him after they've dropped out.

As the current leader of the pack by far he's better off waiting till he's one of two remaining, and do it on a less left wing TV station, the clearly leftist BBC C4 would be trying hard to trash the probable winner's right wing position just to weaken it.

29 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I think Rory Stewart can really cause Boris issues in a debate, I can't imagine he's looking forward to going head to head with him in front of the cameras.

I think your right. Boris speaks well but is easily tripped up in debate. Little substance.

29 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I think Rory Stewart can really cause Boris issues in a debate, I can't imagine he's looking forward to going head to head with him in front of the cameras.

hello, he made some good points but needs to up his ability to challenge better those who tried to talk him down and the presenter not give him much say, hope he does better next time 

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, he made some good points but needs to up his ability to challenge better those who tried to talk him down and the presenter not give him much say, hope he does better next time 

Just read that he is now the second favourite - quite some distance behind BoJo mind.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Seemed odd that he skipped the debate on C4 last night, what are the views on this?

He was the sensible one. The debate was luke warm, the candidates all came over as shallow and damaged rather than enhanced my view of their suitability. The only winner was C4. Politicians are not TV personalities and should realise their limitations in front of the cameras.

The audience seemed to be selected to applaud Rory, akin to clapping seals. He has an unfortunate habit of closing his eyes when asked something awkward. It makes him look shifty. He will never make PM in a month of Sundays. His idea of 50k people (whittled down considerably - to advise on Brexit) is naive in the extreme. If MPs won't listen to 17m plus voters, what chance have 50.

Boris took the smart option of opting out of a poor talent show. The whole thing was amateurish.

58 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I think Rory Stewart is far too soft for the job.  A shame as he's ex military and I have respect for people who have served and he has done a lot of quite sound things in the past ....... however - at present his main policy seems to be that he can revive and get Mrs May's deal through Parliament.  He was after all, a 'remainer' like Mrs May.

I don't believe Mrs May's deal is a good one - it has been rejected many times by Parliament, and I see no reason why MPs should now suddenly accept it.  Rory Stewart has pretty much rejected no deal and taken it off the table - in my view thrown his best cards from his hand before he even starts.

The EU have said they won't negotiate further.  Well perhaps they won't, but if there is the possibility of a leave with no deal if they don't come back to the table - then they will talk.

The only way to get a "Good Deal" is to go back to the (once regularly voiced) stance of "No Deal" is better than a "Bad Deal".  Stewart seems to have rejected that whole idea - and for that reason alone he's not my choice. 

I have never liked Boris much but ........... he is probably the only one who can keep Corbyn from No 10 - and that is FAR more important than details of Brexit (the so called "deal" expiring in 2020 anyway).  With Corbyn, we would effectively remain in the EU (customs union and single market) but loose our (1/27th part) say - and be slowly broken economically and internationally by loony left policies

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

The audience seemed to be selected to applaud Rory, akin to clapping seals. He has an unfortunate habit of closing his eyes when asked something awkward. It makes him look shifty. He will never make PM in a month of Sundays. His idea of 50k people (whittled down considerably - to advise on Brexit) is naive in the extreme. If MPs won't listen to 17m plus voters, what chance have 50.

Boris took the smart option of opting out of a poor talent show. The whole thing was amateurish.

Bang on the money!