What to expect from BoJo... hypocrisy?

henry d

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

sorry but i must say it..............."tossers the lot of them"................please tell me where all the statesmen /women have gone.......................

christ this is getting worse by the day........

Absolutely.

1 minute ago, Raja Clavata said:

Since when has being better than Corbyn in any way some kind of endorsement?

I've been thinking the same thing, as I read this thread.

He will get support simply because he's not quite as bad as the scruffy communist ? Doesn't fill you with hope for the future, when the choice will be "who is least bad ?"

Good grief - Johnson, Corbyn and the wittering old woman at the LibDems are all **** poor politicians. Why are we prepared to accept any of them ?

"The list of candidates is akin to a shower of poo."   Sums it up.

"tossers the lot of them",   adds a little more OOOmph.

"please tell me where all the statesmen /women have gone"  My best answer to this?  JRM.

Minister for the 17th Century, Jacob Reese Mogg.

20 Min sessions worth a listen to, just to understand the gentleman:  https://www.conservativehome.com/feed/podcast

OK, I am not religious and he is very much a Catholic, but. as he says, that is his business, the business of an MP is to do the best for the country.

The Politicians of the UK have lost their way.  They are, almost to a man/woman, untrustworthy idiots, despite their seeming education.

I want some one who is educated AND polite, thoughtful, honest, principled.  Even if I disagree with them at times.

The next PM is getting a Poisoned chalice, I was almost thinking that no one serious would put themselves forward for the job, turns out I was right.

The last two to survive the rounds of voting will be BJ (always makes me smirk that) and Hunt (IMHO), I dislike both, But BJ 😉 slightly less so.

So in summary, BJ 😉 gets the PM jobs, Brexit happens 31st October.  Then something happens and we get a GE.  Nobody wins outright, The Brexit Party splits voters, leaders for both major parties change and with a biit of luck, some one sensible steps forward and wins the day with a comfortable majority.

RS

11 hours ago, Blackbriar said:

I've been thinking the same thing, as I read this thread.

He will get support simply because he's not quite as bad as the scruffy communist ? Doesn't fill you with hope for the future, when the choice will be "who is least bad ?"

Good grief - Johnson, Corbyn and the wittering old woman at the LibDems are all **** poor politicians. Why are we prepared to accept any of them ?

I tend to agree with you but, just to turn this around for a moment, do we as a nation actually deserve any better than what is currently on offer - a choice between Corbyn and Boris I mean - I'm not totally convinced we do...

I may be playing DA here, a bit, but food for thought maybe?

2 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

do we as a nation actually deserve any better than what is currently on offer

Depends; in some respects we are doing quite well ......

• Making quite decent progress in deficit reduction
  • Employment and inflation both healthy
  • Tax threshold for low incomes much higher
  • Largely free from various legacy military 'adventures'
  • Foreign aid (which you may not like) flowing
  • Making our contributions to NATO etc.
  • Fairly good progress on carbon reduction

On the downside;

• Parliament hopelessly disrespected after Brexit shambles
  • Prospect of 'hard left' administration in the wings
  • High crime levels (and rising)
  • NHS in troubles (but it always has been to some extent)
  • Energy/carbon - big challenges looming
  • Protesters/minorities/nutters having far too much influence
  • Crazy law and order as regards prisons/sentences (too lean for serious offences)
  • Highly 'monitored' society (CCTV everywhere), speed cameras everywhere etc.
  • Poor care for elderly
  • Poor media (thinking mainly BBC, but also biased coverage of wildlife/climate/politics

These are just personal 'interpretations', but overall there are both bright and dark sides to the current state of "UK plc'"

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

On the downside;

• Crazy law and order as regards prisons/sentences (too lean for serious offences)
  • Poor care for elderly
  • Poor media (thinking mainly BBC, but also biased coverage of wildlife/climate/politics

These are just personal 'interpretations', but overall there are both bright and dark sides to the current state of "UK plc'"

Appreciate you embracing the point I was making, interesting to see what other peoples take is.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

On the downside;

• Poor care for elderly

You missed the big one. Low educational attainment levels. 23rd for reading 26th for maths. Bright future for a low wage manual economy, not so bright for a knowledge driven future.

I also think average income way above that generated through output but I cant evidence living beyond our means. 

1 minute ago, oowee said:

You missed the big one. Low educational attainment levels.

Since I don't have kids, that largely passes me by ......... but I did understand more are going to higher education than in the past?  Certainly there are FAR more so called 'Universities' now than 40+ year ago when I was going there

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Since I don't have kids, that largely passes me by ......... but I did understand more are going to higher education than in the past?  Certainly there are FAR more so called 'Universities' now than 40+ year ago when I was going there

Your right and even with a good education its not always evidence of ability. 

Scary thought 40+ years ago for UNI. I just counted and its the same for me as I started uni in 1979. 😞 

Edited by oowee

Low educational attainment and lack of appropriate skills is a biggie, for sure. Even if you look at "proper" degrees there are far too many new graduates in mechanical engineering when the future demands are more related to software and systems engineering.

Bear in mind we have a future king with a degree in the history of art (not taking anything away from him as a person) and the majority of the political "elite" were educated in the best schools in the land, apparently.

15 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I enjoyed he way he took the sting out of Laura K’bergs question today.

We need something abnormal to get us moving forward, and he could be the guy.

:good:

Yep. It was so damned emphatic that I couldn't help wondereing if they were a double act and she the stooge. I bet next time she'll scrub around all the rhetoric and simply ask the question. Peston is even more prone to the waffle, so bring him on next. Mind you, it's all gone to his (Peston) head - someone needs to give him a talking to and get him to straighten up his tie and himself in the chair instead of lounging about when being interviewed by the news anchor - he looks as though he's sniffed up someone's left-overs.

4 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

I tend to agree with you but, just to turn this around for a moment, do we as a nation actually deserve any better than what is currently on offer - a choice between Corbyn and Boris I mean - I'm not totally convinced we do...

I may be playing DA here, a bit, but food for thought maybe?

We get what we deserve.

2 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Bear in mind we have a future king with a degree in the history of art (not taking anything away from him as a person) and the majority of the political "elite" were educated in the best schools in the land, apparently.

Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation and Interim Minister of State for Energy and Clean Growth

Chris Skidmore MP

Biography

Chris Skidmore was appointed as a Minister of State jointly at the Department for Education and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on 5 December 2018.

Chris Skidmore was Parliamentary Secretary at the Cabinet Office from 17 July 2016 to 8 January 2018. He was elected Conservative MP for Kingswood in May 2010.

Education

Chris was educated at Bristol Grammar School before studying history at Oxford, where he continued with postgraduate research."

Minister for Science Innovation and Research..............History Degree............... I think the last one studied PPE.

8 minutes ago, Dibble said:

Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation and Interim Minister of State for Energy and Clean Growth

Chris Skidmore MP

Biography

Chris Skidmore was appointed as a Minister of State jointly at the Department for Education and the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy on 5 December 2018.

Chris Skidmore was Parliamentary Secretary at the Cabinet Office from 17 July 2016 to 8 January 2018. He was elected Conservative MP for Kingswood in May 2010.

Education

Chris was educated at Bristol Grammar School before studying history at Oxford, where he continued with postgraduate research."

Minister for Science Innovation and Research..............History Degree............... I think the last one studied PPE.

Can you make the point of this post clear please?

18 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I enjoyed he way he took the sting out of Laura K’bergs question today.

We need something abnormal to get us moving forward, and he could be the guy.

100%  Shut her up a treat and got applauded for it as well.

I didn't hear a single question relating to what he could do for the country.

3 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

Low educational attainment and lack of appropriate skills is a biggie, for sure. Even if you look at "proper" degrees there are far too many new graduates in mechanical engineering when the future demands are more related to software and systems engineering.

Yep, look what higher education has done for the police service.

OK .. I see.

The truth about the pace of change in the world currently is that many folks can't be educated on what they'll be doing, as the technology they'll be using isn't developed yet.

One of the things I've noted having spent time working with a lot of Dutch, is that we win in the UK as we're able to think more broadly and flexibly as a nation, as our education is quite broad. In NL, they study one subject DEEPLY for 7 years ... and get a very narrow horizon on topics which can lead to endless debating and getting things 'exactly wrong' rather than 'roughly right'.

I have a degree in Food Technology, and lead a Food business ... but use 0% of my degree on a daily basis ... sometimes leadership and vision are more important.

Having said all of that ... I don't know Mr Skidmore, and he might be a complete *rse head !

7 hours ago, wymberley said:

:good:

Yep. It was so damned emphatic that I couldn't help wondereing if they were a double act and she the stooge. I bet next time she'll scrub around all the rhetoric and simply ask the question. Peston is even more prone to the waffle, so bring him on next. Mind you, it's all gone to his (Peston) head - someone needs to give him a talking to and get him to straighten up his tie and himself in the chair instead of lounging about when being interviewed by the news anchor - he looks as though he's sniffed up someone's left-overs.

Peston, quite irritating?