What to expect from BoJo... hypocrisy?

henry d

30 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

His idea of 50k people (whittled down considerably - to advise on Brexit) is naive in the extreme. If MPs won't listen to 17m plus voters, what chance have 50.

He was asked what would happen if these advisors came up with the best course of action being 'no deal'

Somewhat flustered, he said 'well..in that case , we would have to go back and ask parliament about it.'
Have we not already done this ?

So what exactly would be the point asking these people ?
Do they only get listened to if they come up with remain ? :lol:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I think Rory Stewart is far too soft for the job.  A shame as he's ex military and I have respect for people who have served and he has done a lot of quite sound things in the past ....... however - at present his main policy seems to be that he can revive and get Mrs May's deal through Parliament.  He was after all, a 'remainer' like Mrs May.

I don't believe Mrs May's deal is a good one - it has been rejected many times by Parliament, and I see no reason why MPs should now suddenly accept it.  Rory Stewart has pretty much rejected no deal and taken it off the table - in my view thrown his best cards from his hand before he even starts.

The EU have said they won't negotiate further.  Well perhaps they won't, but if there is the possibility of a leave with no deal if they don't come back to the table - then they will talk.

The only way to get a "Good Deal" is to go back to the (once regularly voiced) stance of "No Deal" is better than a "Bad Deal".  Stewart seems to have rejected that whole idea - and for that reason alone he's not my choice. 

I have never liked Boris much but ........... he is probably the only one who can keep Corbyn from No 10 - and that is FAR more important than details of Brexit (the so called "deal" expiring in 2020 anyway).  With Corbyn, we would effectively remain in the EU (customs union and single market) but loose our (1/27th part) say - and be slowly broken economically and internationally by loony left policies

I still think he can make Boris look a bit stupid in a debate, if he can get through the next round.

Rory Stewart says "nice" things that "nice" people think sounds "nice" and it draws applause from the audience, and perhaps the viewers as well

but when you actually break it down to the nuts and bolts you realise he hasn't got a clue and is hiding behind waffle

not that any of the others had a clue either. They should have called the programme Pointless Politicians.

Is this really what we have come down to?  A contest to find the least bad ?

Edited by Vince Green

How I see it! The EU/May's deal has already been rejected by Parliament three times! If the EU refuse to reopen negotiations, won't offer a better deal, or try to improve on the deal currently on offer, what are the options the UK faces?

It cannot be the UK remains in the EU..........the decision to leave has already been made!!.......so leaving without a deal is the only option!.....It is the EU intransigence that is responsible for forcing the UK down the only path open to it.........to leave without a deal!

Any candidate for the  PM job, who declares the UK can't leave the EU without a deal.......has decided that contrary to the referendum result, without a deal the UK will remain in the EU!........That makes him (all candidates are male) a despot not a democrat therefore unfit to lead this country!

Any MP that supports parliamentary attempts to stop the UK leaving without a deal, is attempting to overturn the referendum result and consequently is a despot not a democrat, and they too are unfit to represent the people of this country!

33 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

How I see it! The EU/May's deal has already been rejected by Parliament three times! If the EU refuse to reopen negotiations, won't offer a better deal, or try to improve on the deal currently on offer, what are the options the UK faces?

It cannot be the UK remains in the EU..........the decision to leave has already been made!!.......so leaving without a deal is the only option!.....It is the EU intransigence that is responsible for forcing the UK down the only path open to it.........to leave without a deal!

Any candidate for the  PM job, who declares the UK can't leave the EU without a deal.......has decided that contrary to the referendum result, without a deal the UK will remain in the EU!........That makes him (all candidates are male) a despot not a democrat therefore unfit to lead this country!

Any MP that supports parliamentary attempts to stop the UK leaving without a deal, is attempting to overturn the referendum result and consequently is a despot not a democrat, and they too are unfit to represent the people of this country!

That's my view too but a lot of people are trying very hard to muddy the water

1 minute ago, Scully said:

no matter what Boris wants, it isn’t really up to him, but rather the rest of the cabinet. 

He can pick his own new cabinet and the new 'Boris' cabinet can put official new government policy to the vote in Parliament to be made into law ....... but he can't change the MPs and has to get it past them.

19 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

If he does through to the next round then I would not be surprised if BoJo pulls a sickie on the debate tomorrow evening... 

No chance.

Rory is an out and out remainer. It would be easy for Boris to take him apart. You only have to look at those MP's who are supporting him, and the fact that all the remain biased media are backing him to know that he is just a continuity May candidate. The last thing the country or party needs.

It's clear that without a full on brexiteer at the helm the Tories are heading for oblivion at the next general election, and they know it. The ONLY person who can possibly turn their fortunes around is Boris. He's the only one who could possibly pull voters back from the Brexit Party, but he would have to get the UK out of the EU by the October deadline, either with a better deal or no deal at all. 

As for the tv debates, I'm not really sure what's the point of them? It's the 160,000 Tory membership who choose the winner, and next PM. The general public have no say. I think he's played it right, he'll make his pitch to the Conservative associations across the country if he gets through to the final two. They're the ones who hold the key to power, not Ch4, the BBC or any other media outlet.

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

He can pick his own new cabinet and the new 'Boris' cabinet can put official new government policy to the vote in Parliament to be made into law ....... but he can't change the MPs and has to get it past them.

Six and two threes then....same problem. 

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Six and two threes then....same problem.

Possibly - or possibly not; IF he has a strong leaver cabinet who would not waver if a "no deal" was needed .......... then he would have a MUCH stronger hand to reopen with the EU, and that might unblock the drain ........

Edited by JohnfromUK

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

PW's oldest teenager!

Pw's oldest pedant.

To be honest it won't effect me one way or the other what happens. It just seems to me that everyone just wants to contradict what anyone says or writes nowadays; and I'm not really sure I can be ***** anymore. It's not like I'll be voting tory anyhow. 

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Pw's oldest pedant.

To be honest it won't effect me one way or the other what happens. It just seems to me that everyone just wants to contradict what anyone says or writes nowadays; and I'm not really sure I can be ***** anymore. It's not like I'll be voting tory anyhow. 

You'll not be voting on the Tory leadership competition either!

Does anybody believe that Rory Stewart's "People's Committee" (even the name makes me retch) would be picked from unbiased members of the general public? Or would it be rigged?

The idea for having a committee sounds like a simple proposal but how would they be chosen? 

How the heck would you ever get agreement on the list of names? Where would all those people meet? Where would you put them all up? How would you pay them? What about their jobs and their families? Who does the school run while they are away?

The more you think about it the more pathetic the whole concept gets

Edited by Vince Green

33 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Does anybody believe that Rory Stewart's "People's Committee" .......

My expectation would be that it is little more than a sort of glorified 'on line' opinion poll - given to a limited set of people.

How those people are picked is anybodies guess;

Would I expect then to try and rig it?  - Yes

Do I think they are capable of rigging it?  - Probably no as they would struggle to get anything right with that number of people.

Would it work?  - No - it would be every bit as divisive as the referendum

Overall - it's a completely daft idea and a non starter.  Simply shows what a naive and inexperience person he is.

7 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My expectation would be that it is little more than a sort of glorified 'on line' opinion poll - given to a limited set of people.

How those people are picked is anybodies guess;

Would I expect then to try and rig it?  - Yes

Do I think they are capable of rigging it?  - Probably no as they would struggle to get anything right with that number of people.

Would it work?  - No - it would be every bit as divisive as the referendum

Overall - it's a completely daft idea and a non starter.  Simply shows what a naive and inexperience person he is.

Rory has already said its only an advisory board, theres nothing in law to say what they decide goes.
It just goes back to Parliament in the event anyway, who will do what they are doing now, kick the can.

TBH it would just be a glorified opinion poll, with nothing binding, and if the results were unpalatable to parliament, quietly ignored.

A bit like the referendum.

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

I begin to doubt that Boris can deliver anything, the British public love the eccentric clown act, but is that all he's got? He appears to me, all bluster and front.....with no apparent substance! If elected I hope I'm wrong!

I agree; he never did have anything other than bluster.  He is almost bound to win - and I believe he is no more (un) likely to deliver Brexit than any of the other candidates ...... except Rory Stewart, who I don't believe either wants or  intends to deliver Brexit.

What Boris probably can deliver is beating Corbyn and his mob of Marxist Muppets - and to me that is in the long term FAR more important than an instant Brexit.  Corbyn will keep us in AND destroy the country and much of the British way of life we have.