Shell decoy or full body

Hi fellow pigeon shooters 

I am currently revamping my pigeon shooting kit and have always used full body decoys in the past 

and am looking at going flocked shell decoys on wobble pegs but have never used any before 

which do you guys prefer and why ?

looking forward to your replies 

lonnford

I know the obvious ie takes less space and lighter😉

Edited by lonnford

hello, i prefer to use more flocked shell decoys than full body as you said takes up less space, 1 have 12 shell and 4 full body plus 2 winged on bouncers, i also think it depends on what crop there feeding on,  although i only shoot a few times a year, i think anyone out on a regular basis might have more and a rotary with a few flappers, i am sure those members can give their opinion as i am just a part timer 😁

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

8 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i prefer to use more flocked shell decoys than full body as you said takes up less space, 1 have 12 shell and 4 full body plus 2 winged on bouncers, i also think it depends on what crop there feeding on,  although i only shoot a few times a year, i think anyone out on a regular basis might have more and a rotary with a few flappers, i am sure those members can give their opinion as i am just a part timer 😁

Hi I’m like you, a part timer ,but given the chance to do this wonderful sport on rare occasions i am trying to be better prepared ,able to set up quicker to make the most of it , I don’t have a 4WD vehicle so have to trek a fair way , it would be good to do it in one trip from the van 

thanks for your response 👍

Over the years I've used full bodied; shells on wobbly sticks, and FUDs. I've made my own floaters which I can also use as Landers or on the rotary until replaced by dead birds. Does one type of decoy work any better than another? Who knows? Some shooters will swear by one type simply because they've had a few successful days with them so they must be the bees knees. Others may have had not so good days and will say they are rubbish. Also, there are factors other than decoys which also influence the day eg flight lines, good hide, weather, pigeons on a mission to somewhere else! Which, to my mind, make it impossible to say definitively that one type of decoy performs better than another.

These days age and arthritis have taken their toll. So for lightness and compactness I go with a mixture of shells on wobbly sticks and FUDs and floaters and enjoy the day. The best decoy is of course a dead pigeon so when you shoot them add them to your pattern.

4 hours ago, Bobba said:

Over the years I've used full bodied; shells on wobbly sticks, and FUDs. I've made my own floaters which I can also use as Landers or on the rotary until replaced by dead birds. Does one type of decoy work any better than another? Who knows? Some shooters will swear by one type simply because they've had a few successful days with them so they must be the bees knees. Others may have had not so good days and will say they are rubbish. Also, there are factors other than decoys which also influence the day eg flight lines, good hide, weather, pigeons on a mission to somewhere else! Which, to my mind, make it impossible to say definitively that one type of decoy performs better than another.

These days age and arthritis have taken their toll. So for lightness and compactness I go with a mixture of shells on wobbly sticks and FUDs and floaters and enjoy the day. The best decoy is of course a dead pigeon so when you shoot them add them to your pattern.

Cheers bobba

i was on a flight line last time I was out and also not far from a rookery  

On a fresh cut silage field last year ,them pigeon were flying by at top speed not intent on coming in but we’re good sport 

rooks came in random inquisitive they were, would be good to pull them pigeon in off the flight line with the right movement 

As you say I've always put out dead birds In my pattern on 8” ish sharp hazel sticks , and have noticed recently when looking for shell decoys there are pigeon cradles “never new they existed /old school “

for sale on shooting websites 

have you used cradles before

Also how did you make your own floaters/ landers etc ?

1 hour ago, lonnford said:

have you used cradles before

Also how did you make your own floaters/ landers etc ?

No. I've never used cradles. Another thing to carry if you've no 4x4

I've sent you a PM on my Blue Peter skills for lander / bouncers  (too long a description for here. But below is a copy of the finished article on the arm of a rotary

Have fun

Decoy 2.jpg

As Bobba said - so many other factors influence the day. The decoys are only really there as a temporary set up, till the shot birds start building up. Once the plastic deac’s are outnumbered by real birds, there’s a step change in the pigeon’s willingness to commit. I don’t think one type of plastic deac’ is radically more successful than another. I would just go for the lightest to carry if your walking in: shell backs stacked on top of each other. If they are well designed / painted, it may add to the confidence factor. A rotary + associated kit may be a big carry. A flapper might be easier and lighter - I have personally found them to be a great attention grabber. Happy hunting!

I find cradles a must as the crop start to out grow decoys with pegs underneath , if you haven't got cradles you can use thin steel or fiber glass rods inserted through the bodies of dead pigeons and put straight into the ground at an angle  , it don't really matter what they look like as long as pigeons can see them from a distance .

I have got both full and flocked shell decoys , if I can drive up to my hide position I will put the lot out which is around 30 , if I have to walk any distance the shells are plenty good enough , in fact I think they show up better on a dull day than the full body ones and another advantage with shells is you can balance them on top of a rape crop if there isn't to much wind .

Good point Marsh Man - re tall crops and cradles being handy.

Think it’s going to be a couple of carrying trips from Lonnford’s 2 wheel drive - considering what we’ve all recommended. That’s not so drastic though. A good kit bag can sometimes make it possible in one go. 

2 hours ago, Fellside said:

Good point Marsh Man - re tall crops and cradles being handy.

Think it’s going to be a couple of carrying trips from Lonnford’s 2 wheel drive - considering what we’ve all recommended. That’s not so drastic though. A good kit bag can sometimes make it possible in one go. 

With today's modern nets and poles it is possible to cart your gear in one go depending on the persons  level of fitness and of course how much you want to take  .

If I wanted to take the minimum amount of gear that I would be happy with to shoot a few pigeons it would be , a set of extending poles , two 5 mtr lightweight 3 ply nets , a fold up light weight chair , 12 / 15 flocked shell decoys , two boxes of cartridges , cradles or kebab sticks ( depending on high the crop is ) , 2 floaters in my pole bag , and my ole gamebag with a load of light stuff that is often handy , plus refreshments for me and the dog .

I am now coming up for 72 and touch wood I can still just about manage the above but if there is any way I can drive to my spot then that will take priority .

If you felt the need to take a magnet you can now buy a light(ish) one and put one of the small batteries in your pocket that last for 3 / 4 hrs .

Edited by marsh man