Brexit - merged threads

scouser

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where has it been announced that we will definitely be taking part in the EU elections? Many political parties (from both sides) seem to be getting ready to go into election mode, but I've not heard any official announcement!

Aled

9 minutes ago, Aled said:

Where has it been announced that we will definitely be taking part in the EU elections? Many political parties (from both sides) seem to be getting ready to go into election mode, but I've not heard any official announcement!

Aled

The Parties are getting ready to have to take part mainly because Mrs May's record is very poor so far and we may well still be in this mess for quite some time!

I think most are fed up with TV coverage of Brexit.  The only thing most are interested in is in how many candidates Farage can field 🤣

May won't deliver anything by the extension period end date.  She'll fail there as she has failed to date and we'll be stuck with her until at least December unless a General Election is called.

Edited by Savhmr

UK-INVESTMENT-copy.png?resize=540%2C304&ssl=1

The latest OECD figures show that the UK has held on to its top spot in Europe for Foreign Direct Investment yet again – only the US and China surpass the UK globally. The UK’s inward investment stock totalled $1.89 trillion by the end of 2018. More than double Germany’s $920 billion – in fact it’s more than Germany, Spain and Poland combined…

Liam Fox blasts “those who would talk down Britain’s economic performance” saying that they’ve been “proven wrong once again”. It comes on top of EY revealing earlier this month that the UK has now also become the world’s most attractive destination for M&A activity, overtaking the US for the first time. So much for George Osborne’s warnings about foreign investment collapsing after a vote to Leave…

We all know that the Tory government is now a "zombie" government, and the doom-mongers amongst the Tories pushing for a soft Brexit (what they mean is "Remain" under a different banner) are working with May to delay the WA Bill....it's not currently shown for the Queen's speech, which clearly indicates that May doesn't have anywhere close to enough support from within her own party and the DUP to get her doomed agreement through parliament.  She's lost power, but refuses to step down and this is bringing the UK and parliament into disrepute.

Had we been told this would be the outcome a year ago I must admit, I wouldn't have been surprised.  What I am surprised at is that there isn't a cross party agreement or a motion from the speaker to highlight that May's extension is being misused to allow for delay tactics to default on putting her bill forward under the Queen's speech which essentially prolongs the sitting of the parliamentary period.  Osborne and the other now ex-ministers have been shown for what they were...self serving, nasty manipulative deceivers without a shred of credibility.  May comes from the same mold.  I just don't understand why parliament isn't screaming for a general election?  Possibly just as well as Labour in recent polls seem to have the majority vote with the Brexit party a distant second.  May, by clinging on, will force more over to Labour and then its out of the frying pan, into the fire.  She is not serving the best interests of the country and she knows it.

Edited by Savhmr

Not sure any party is rushing into an election - the Brexit party might be the exception.

The Tories are doing badly, but a new leader normally brings an upsurge in ratings.

Labour are truly dire and, whatever the polls say, I believe they are unelectable, with Jezzer in charge. They don't appear to have a consistent policy on the EU - a shifty bunch.

18 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

They don't appear to have a consistent policy on the EU - a shifty bunch.

Labour's policy is simply to force Teresa May to an election ........ but they are nervous about an election because they aren't at all sure they can win.  They don't really have a consistent or clear policy on anything much other than increasing taxation on 'the rich' and 'big business', spending more on all public services - and re-nationalising many of the utilities etc.

The majority of Labour MPs are 'remainers', but Corbyn, MacDonald and the 'core left' are 'leavers' because the EU would impede their renationalisation and spending plans.  However their main backers (the Unions) are mainly 'remainers' - as they see it as better for jobs and things like working time directives.

The truth is - in opposition, you can say/promise almost anything because they never have to follow through.  What goes in your manifesto is more important - and that is never finally published until the election is called.  All oppositions are shifty - because their only real aim is to 'oppose' the government and try and bring them down.

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Labour's policy is simply to force Teresa May to an election ........ but they are nervous about an election because they aren't at all sure they can win.  They don't really have a consistent or clear policy on anything much other than increasing taxation on 'the rich' and 'big business', spending more on all public services - and re-nationalising many of the utilities etc.

The majority of Labour MPs are 'remainers', but Corbyn, MacDonald and the 'core left' are 'leavers' because the EU would impede their renationalisation and spending plans.  However their main backers (the Unions) are mainly 'remainers' - as they see it as better for jobs and things like working time directives.

The truth is - in opposition, you can say/promise almost anything because they never have to follow through.  What goes in your manifesto is more important - and that is never finally published until the election is called.  All oppositions are shifty - because their only real aim is to 'oppose' the government and try and bring them down.

thats what got labour the increased "young vote"..........the "promise" of free university.....no fees............and to leagalise pot...................

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

You don't say who he is?  In my "profound ignorance", I'm struggling to guess.  😉

However, I do try and steer clear of "illustrious beings".

Teflon Tony Bliar is who John.

The stitch up between May and Corbyn is steaming ahead!  Until recently, neither side would have agreed to "co-operate"....until Nigel Farage  & The Brexit Party appeared! Then, all of a sudden, there is talk of "compromise"....truth being that, whilst both sides wanted to be the side that sorted out some sort of "deal" with the EU (whilst keeping us still tied to Brussels), The Brexit Party have changed all that! It shows the fear that the LabCons have for Farage, and the people who follow him! They know that, not only will his Party sweep the EU elections, but will crucify the parties seen as selling us out to Brussels!

Their only hope is that they can stitch up a deal, in the next couple of weeks! Each will want to come out of this mess looking as though the other party is the one selling out Britain, and hoping the Brexit Party then fall by the way side.

I,ve got News for May & Corbyn.......that,s never going to happen! Their is a seismic change coming to British politics, and it,s not before time! As Trump would say, Drain the Westminster swamp!

if it goes to a peoples vote (s'cuse me im goin to puke :sick:)..........this will proberly be the ballot paper

1. Mrs may deal
  2. Corbyn may deal
  3. remain in eu

how will you vote...................will you spoil your ballot paper ?

People aren't that stupid, if they force a deal through to avoid EU elections and Farage runs a general election, I can see a land slide occurring. 

Never in my life have I been so disappointed with all the main political parties in my life, I will never vote for Conservatives again unless there is huge and lasting change in the way politics is done. 

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

if it goes to a peoples vote (s'cuse me im goin to puke )..........this will proberly be the ballot paper

1. Mrs may deal
  2. Corbyn may deal
  3. remain in eu

how will you vote...................will you spoil your ballot paper ?

The decision to leave the EU is made!.........Any so called people's vote, should not be a rerun of the referendum and should have only 3 following options.

1) Mays deal

2) The Corbin/May deal

3) Leave with no deal

I know which way I'd vote!

50 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

People aren't that stupid, if they force a deal through to avoid EU elections and Farage runs a general election, I can see a land slide occurring. 

Never in my life have I been so disappointed with all the main political parties in my life, I will never vote for Conservatives again unless there is huge and lasting change in the way politics is done. 

We would end up with a party that doesn't want to be in charge but would take us out of Europe, fair enough