Brexit - merged threads

scouser

After 2 full in depth probes, Facebook have today announced that there is no evidence of Russian influence in the Brexit referendum, as far as Facebook is concerned.
The data was examined, and then re examined, this according to some bloke named Nick Clegg , who apparently is their vice president 😲

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/facebook-nick-clegg-russia-interference-brexit-eu-referendum-a8971656.html

He also dismissed suggestions that Cambridge Analytica, which harvested the data of up to 87 million Facebook users, had influenced the UK’s decision to leave the EU.

Edited by Rewulf

• Replies 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Sir Nick Clegg, that well known paragon of judgement, at least he's found someone to pay him a vast sum for doing sweet F.A. since his dream of joining the great white elephant and its self perpetuating gravy train was sunk.

I bet when he announced it, those words stuck in his remainer mouth like a rough old dry cracker !

But then he glanced down at his bank balance, and his latest paycheck from Facebook, and like magic , the bad taste was gone :yes:

i have just logged on to this post.................and im shocked and saddened by the amount of abuse....in so much i have reported it to Zapp but he told me to go forth and multiply

as for surgesting i have small grapes........well i never....i can assure all of you that my anus and sphingter muscle are  in tip top condition,.....and have won prizes....

all down to my gluten free diet............

On 24/06/2019 at 15:57, ditchman said:

havnt been on this thread for 2 weeks..............

ive got "brexit burnout"

I'm absolutely sick of it too, what a lot of spineless third rate politicians just focused on the contents of the trough?

This from a letter to the Telegraph....

Free trade with EU

SIR – Boris Johnson recently suggested that the best way to manage Brexit without economic disturbance was to use the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade (Gatt) Article 24 to trade freely with the EU on a temporary basis while a formal free-trade agreement is negotiated.

The BBC, certain politicians and even Mark Carney, the Governor of 
the Bank of England, appear to be almost wilfully misunderstanding this suggestion in order to deny its possibility. Suspicious minds might even fear some collusion.

On the Today programme on June 21, Mr Carney was pressed by the 
interviewer to say that Mr Johnson’s idea was “rubbish”. On the Andrew Marr Show on June 23, Liam Fox was similarly encouraged. He was led to imply that a Withdrawal Agreement was necessary before Article 24 could be used, which is the opposite of the truth. Mr Marr even said, “Thank you for being so frank” at the end of the interview – surely the first time a BBC journalist has said anything like that to a Tory minister since the Fifties.

They are all being disingenuous. The plain fact is that Article 24 of
the Gatt does permit tariff-free trade to continue pending the 
conclusion of a full free-trade agreement.

As Mr Johnson has suggested, the UK should offer this to the EU. All 
that is needed is for the EU to consent to a one-page agreement in 
principle. A basic tariff-free trade agreement is plainly in the 
interests of EU exporters and consumers just as much as in those of the UK, if not more.

There is no need for the 500-page Withdrawal Agreement or any 
elaborate “implementation period”. Theresa May’s discredited deal, which some politicians are trying to resuscitate, is redundant. A no-deal cliff edge – the Remainers’ bugbear – loses its last threads of 
credibility.

We challenge Mr Carney, Mr Fox, Mr Marr, the BBC and any other commentators to refute any of the above statements.

Sir Richard Aikens
Former member of the Court of Appeal

Professor David Blake
Cass Business School

Dr TD Grant
Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, Cambridge

Dr Graham Gudgin
Judge Business School, Cambridge

Dr Ruth Lea
Economic commentator

Professor Robert Tombs
St John’s College, Cambridge

Source: Guido Fawkes

Naturally, I am sure our resident Remoaners will use their huge economic and financial knowledge to counter this...

On 18/06/2019 at 11:30, Rewulf said:

That bastion of unbiased, impartial integrity ? 

Surely not ? 😂

Are you sure you spelled:innocent::innocent: the second word correctly?

Don’t know if it’s being shown on mainstream media but am sat watching Richard Tice on BBC world news saying you can’t be a remainer and an entrepreneur as well as that Brexit is a choice between right and wrong. Moments after he said there is a need to unite the country over Brexit...

"The point at issue, though, is that neither of these Brexit plans are serious proposals offered by serious men. They do not take us any further forward and do not deserve to be treated seriously – and nor will they be. Whether leavers or remainers, we deserve better than these cretins, whose delinquent approach to such a vital subject is a colossal betrayal of the nation."

www.eureferendum.com

in successive articles Dr. North rips Johnson and Hunt and their absurd 'plans' to bits. But when the stuff finally hits the fan and the country is in economic freefall it shouldn't just be people like Boris his ilk who catch the blame. A lot of the responsibility for the upcoming disaster lies with mainstream media like the BBC that, in the interests of 'balance', have allowed these people to present their utter rubbish basically unchallenged. The problem is that self-important hacks like Laura Kuennsberg aren't proper journalists at all. They're just supporting players in a real life reality-tv show, and while it might make for entertaining TV the country is going to pay a massive price for their failure to do their jobs properly.

7 hours ago, Retsdon said:

"The point at issue, though, is that neither of these Brexit plans are serious proposals offered by serious men. They do not take us any further forward and do not deserve to be treated seriously – and nor will they be. Whether leavers or remainers, we deserve better than these cretins, whose delinquent approach to such a vital subject is a colossal betrayal of the nation."

www.eureferendum.com

in successive articles Dr. North rips Johnson and Hunt and their absurd 'plans' to bits. But when the stuff finally hits the fan and the country is in economic freefall it shouldn't just be people like Boris his ilk who catch the blame. A lot of the responsibility for the upcoming disaster lies with mainstream media like the BBC that, in the interests of 'balance', have allowed these people to present their utter rubbish basically unchallenged. The problem is that self-important hacks like Laura Kuennsberg aren't proper journalists at all. They're just supporting players in a real life reality-tv show, and while it might make for entertaining TV the country is going to pay a massive price for their failure to do their jobs properly.

By all accounts pretty much echoes the views being reported out of the EU hierarchy. 

5 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

By all accounts pretty much echoes the views being reported out of the EU hierarchy. 

You know what ?
I couldnt give a monkeys cuss about the views of the EU 'hierarchy'
If their views were not so inward looking, their strategy so protectionist, and their inability to move with the times and reform so intractable, we wouldnt even be having this conversation.

You fail to recognise the cracks showing right now in the overall strategy and integrity of the bloc.
Its not just a case of preserving the political trust and integrity of the UK (what little we have left) its also about economic integrity.
There are countries in the bloc, who owe hundreds of billions  , who have not a cat in hells chance of ever repaying it, THAT in itself has recession written all over it.
There is massive discontent, which the 'hierarchy' blame on 'nationalism' and the far right, failing to even contemplate apportioning any blame to itself.

Its a mess, and not just because our remainer government has kidnapped the referendum result, and is holding it hostage.
Its a mess because the EU made it so, and can  then blame us for it.

Go right back to the beginning, this was always their plan.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

You know what ?
I couldnt give a monkeys cuss about the views of the EU 'hierarchy'
If their views were not so inward looking, their strategy so protectionist, and their inability to move with the times and reform so intractable, we wouldnt even be having this conversation.

You fail to recognise the cracks showing right now in the overall strategy and integrity of the bloc.
Its not just a case of preserving the political trust and integrity of the UK (what little we have left) its also about economic integrity.
There are countries in the bloc, who owe hundreds of billions  , who have not a cat in hells chance of ever repaying it, THAT in itself has recession written all over it.
There is massive discontent, which the 'hierarchy' blame on 'nationalism' and the far right, failing to even contemplate apportioning any blame to itself.

Its a mess, and not just because our remainer government has kidnapped the referendum result, and is holding it hostage.
Its a mess because the EU made it so, and can  then blame us for it.

Go right back to the beginning, this was always their plan.

I fully recognise the cracks. I also recognise the fact that two sides are required in order to hold negotiations.

Yes it’s a mess. Some people need to face up to reality.

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

You're having a laugh, right? The whole point of Brexit was that we would be able to protect British labour, British fishing, British whatever from unfair competition. We wanted to turn the clock back to 1974! And as for inward looking...what was your first sentence again? If the outcome of all this self-delusion werent going to be so disastrous, it would be funny.

Just now, Retsdon said:

You're having a laugh, right? 

Nope.

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

The whole point of Brexit was that we would be able to protect British labour, British fishing, British whatever from unfair competition

Nope.

1 minute ago, Retsdon said:

We wanted to turn the clock back to 1974!

Definitely nope.

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

And as for inward looking...what was your first sentence again?

First sentence was 'You know what ?' Your point ?

2 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

If the outcome of all this self-delusion werent going to be so disastrous, it would be funny.

Whos laughing ?
Self delusion is sat in  a different country, and thinking you know whats really going on back here, while lamenting not being able to come back to the mess we are about to make of it.
Now thats funny !

9 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Definitely nope.

So? What was the objective?

10 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

First sentence was 'You know what ?' Your point ?

Of course, the second sentence. I thought about editing, but didn't imagine it necessary.

12 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Self delusion is sat in  a different country, and thinking you know whats really going on back here, while lamenting not being able to come back to the mess we are about to make of it.
Now thats funny !

As for what the outcome of Brexit is likely to be, I don't mind betting that I know more than most people inside the country - a) because I have plenty of time on my hands to research, and b) because I don't confine my reading to my own side's propaganda. I don't have a side. I just read and learn but I'm prepared to call obvious bull**** like Boris's when I see it.

As for my feelings about having my kids grow up under a military dictatorship? It's odd that you should find amusement in them. But hey, you'll know yourself best.

3 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

So? What was the objective?

Really ? Again ? 

Paying them money to tell us what we can and cant do as a nation?

Unelected meddling in other countries affairs to their detriment.

Unnecessary beurocracy , 750 MPs that do NOTHING , 50000 employees that do what ?
Administer a level of government no one needs.

Regaining control of our own destiny, and immigration levels.

17 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Of course, the second sentence. I thought about editing, but didn't imagine it necessary.

What?  ,I dont care about the views of the EU elite, why should I , they dont care about mine .

19 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

As for what the outcome of Brexit is likely to be, I don't mind betting that I know more than most people inside the country - a) because I have plenty of time on my hands to research, and b) because I don't confine my reading to my own side's propaganda. I don't have a side.

Really ? And you call me delusional !

21 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

As for my feelings about having my kids grow up under a military dictatorship? It's odd that you should find amusement in them. But hey, you'll know yourself best.

You know what ?
Thats not my problem , its yours, you put them there.