16 Bore enthusiasts

Zimtrout

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Army & Navy 16 gauge, all original. Originally black powder made very early 1900s,  but I had it proofed and up until three years ago it was my primary game gun.  I now take it out for a day once or twice a year since I went over to almost exclusively shooting 410.  Having shot 16 gauge for over 40yrs I cannot understand why more people don't shoot the gauge. It will kill anything a twelve will and much lighter and pleasnt to shoot.  OK, it's not a wildfowling gun but as a pheasant / partridge gun it is superb and will certainly hold it's own in a pigeon hide.

Cartridges are only more pricey due to small production runs.

Just a generic belgian hammer, sold it earlier this year. 

Like walker I can't understand why more people don't shoot a 16. I had a load of old grand prix's in 5'6'7's, 26.5g loads and they were beautifully smooth to shoot. Think when I can free up a space I'll join the sweet 16 club again. 

Screenshot_20190613-090112.png

Had one for a while and used it as my pigeon gun, it was a fairly cheap belgian side by side.  Lovely gun to carry around and in the hide but I found the cartridges a bit hard to come by round here.  I now use a 20 bore OU if I want something lighter to lug around when not using one of my 12 bores.

Would certainly have another if my cabinets were not bursting at the seams!

J Blanch, 16g BLE, 28" barrels with useful choke of 3/8 and 5/8.

This gun continues to surprise me with its ability at longish range.

G

D0C769A7-C77D-48CB-87E6-E75E4E16A1DE.JPG.f8c8c7aaa64a76ad9146aa229e32103a.JPG

5 hours ago, Stimo22 said:

Yes, I have a WW Greener that will be used for walk up and the odd clay day. Nice and light to carry and a pleasure to use

image.jpeg

Being both a Greener and a 16g fan, I like this a lot!

Some lovely guns there lads, where do you get your cartridges? 

what cartridges would you use for game? shot size and load/I am seriously tempted by and old English 16..... this thread has reinforced my thinking....ooops!

3 hours ago, GBS said:

J Blanch, 16g BLE, 28" barrels with useful choke of 3/8 and 5/8.

This gun continues to surprise me with its ability at longish range.

G

D0C769A7-C77D-48CB-87E6-E75E4E16A1DE.JPG.f8c8c7aaa64a76ad9146aa229e32103a.JPG

Being both a Greener and a 16g fan, I like this a lot!

The gun i learned to shoot on many moons ago in Zimbabwe, shooting mainly guineafowl and francolin, had a greener style safety, i always liked it....

3 hours ago, Zimtrout said:

Some lovely guns there lads, where do you get your cartridges? 

what cartridges would you use for game? shot size and load/I am seriously tempted by and old English 16..... this thread has reinforced my thinking....ooops

I'm quite fortunate that most shops around me stock at reasonable prices. 

I have found either the lyalvale supreme game 25gms 6's or the eley vip game 28gms 5's are both well up for the job. 

Learned to shoot with an old Belgian hammer 16g over 50 years ago. Went back to one 3 seasons ago, Fair jubilee prestige, lovely handling gun. 28g RC 6 cartridges do the job if you put it in the right place. Now looking for a short barrelled sbs for partridge and pigeons. 

Edited by Down South

I also have a 16g Lincoln prestige 28" and love it  Was shooting with two French guys last season and took the 16g as mainly walk up day But they had 20g But thought they would have 16g

I out shot both of them but a great day with them  One had a SXS and the other O/U and both using 3" cartridges and when we looked at the empties some had damage so obviously the SXS was not chambered for 3" They come every year to shoot different places So next season one may have a finger or two missing 

1 hour ago, sabel25 said:

Just to add a point i am buying 16g cartridges  at same price as 12g so this stigma as to they are expensive Not in game carts and a good selection for 16g My supplier orders mine in for me RC's great cartridge

That’s awesome.  On this side of the world I can buy 12g or 20g  bird shot for 18cent a round at the grocery store.  16g I would have to go to a outdoor store or order online and pay 50 cent for birdshot.  Same with 28g.  I love 28g but it’s a rich mans shell here. 

12 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

That’s awesome.  On this side of the world I can buy 12g or 20g  bird shot for 18cent a round at the grocery store.  16g I would have to go to a outdoor store or order online and pay 50 cent for birdshot.  Same with 28g.  I love 28g but it’s a rich mans shell here. 

I watched an episode of MeatEater this morning, dove hunting in Virginia. 

The bloke there reloads his own 16g shells with a progressive press and had a lovely 16g SxS, he said they can be picked up nice and cheap. 

Looked like some good shooting over the sun flower fields. 

14 hours ago, sabel25 said:

I also have a 16g Lincoln prestige 28" and love it  Was shooting with two French guys last season and took the 16g as mainly walk up day But they had 20g But thought they would have 16g

I out shot both of them but a great day with them  One had a SXS and the other O/U and both using 3" cartridges and when we looked at the empties some had damage so obviously the SXS was not chambered for 3" They come every year to shoot different places So next season one may have a finger or two missing 

What are the pros and cons of a 16 Bore vs a 12 or 20 Bore?