16 Bore enthusiasts

Zimtrout

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

What are the pros and cons of a 16 Bore vs a 12 or 20 Bore? 

An often used quote for a 16g is -:

`It shoots like a twelve and handles like a twenty.`

I would go along with that.

OB

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

An often used quote for a 16g is -:

`It shoots like a twelve and handles like a twenty.`

I would go along with that.

OB

Pretty much sums it up. 

I also find them smoother to shoot than the 12, although I know there are many factors to that. 

13 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I watched an episode of MeatEater this morning, dove hunting in Virginia. 

The bloke there reloads his own 16g shells with a progressive press and had a lovely 16g SxS, he said they can be picked up nice and cheap. 

Looked like some good shooting over the sun flower fields. 

What are the pros and cons of a 16 Bore vs a 12 or 20 Bore? 

Yes, 16g shotguns set on shelves for years.  Stores will mark them down to nothing.  Shells are high but you can load them yourself as cheap as 12. 

I regularly shoot a (American) Parker Bros VH grade 16 bore sxs. I love it and shoot very well with it. Got it for £50.00 as no one seems to want them over here but they are quite collectable to the right people. In the States they fetch good money. I love pulling it out of the slip at a clay shoot and everyone goes quiet. Like *** is that ****.. lol 

On 21 June 2019 at 10:53, shalfordninja33 said:

Had beretta made an Over and Under in 16 bore I'd have put one it the cabinet rather than the 690 20 bore I ended up buying.

I'm surprised that Beretta haven't followed Browning's example of bringing out a sixteen. However, the Browning 16 weighs around the 7 lb mark, which somewhat defeats the object and is probably the reason that there are many for sale. If Beretta did similar but around 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 lbs, then I think that it would do well.

Currently, the only 16 O/U is the Lincoln range built on a truly scaled down action weighing between 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 lbs.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

10 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

I'm surprised that Beretta haven't followed Browning's example of bringing out a sixteen. However, the Browning 16 weighs around the 7 lb mark, which somewhat defeats the object and is probably the reason that there are many for sale. If Beretta did similar but around 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 lbs, then I think that it would do well.

Currently, the only 16 O/U is the Lincoln range built on a truly scaled down action weighing between 6 1/4 to 6 1/2 lbs.

OB

Agreed, in my view the 68series action scaled to 16 as per their 20 and 28 would  be a seller. The slender action would suit it, I’d have bought one if they had. I suspect many people would but the 20 is their only option. 

I took a good look at the Lincoln and b rizzini. The rizzini needs to go on a diet, I really like the Lincoln, maybe next time 😁

I’ve got a McCririck s/s boxlock non-ejector, built in the 1920s I was told. Nice round action, bit of engraving. Very pointable. I had a Webley & Scott 700 16 bore years ago, but the 26 inch barrels made it a bit lively and I couldn’t get on with it. A shame, as it was so pretty. Gentleman’s calibre I’ve read, whatever that means.

10 minutes ago, shalfordninja33 said:

Agreed, in my view the 68series action scaled to 16 as per their 20 and 28 would  be a seller. The slender action would suit it, I’d have bought one if they had. I suspect many people would but the 20 is their only option. 

I took a good look at the Lincoln and b rizzini. The rizzini needs to go on a diet, I really like the Lincoln, maybe next time 😁

I agree, it appears that the 16g B.Rizzini is built on a 12g action, hence the weight around 7 lbs. This would have made the 16g Macnab Highlander, particularly the sideplated version, no longer made, but made by B.Rizzini a near perfect gun in my opinion having a solid top rib (something not all the current B.Rizzinis have) and a half pistol grip, something that I have wrongly referred in the past to a POW grip, but my error has recently been pointed out by those with a better knowledge of such things, than me.

It would appear that the Lincoln (F.A.I.R) range and possibly the far more expensive French Chapuis are the only manufacturers making the 16g O/U on a truly scaled action. Of course, I would be most pleased to be proved wrong on this.

OB

I did look at the browning but as mentioned it weighed the same as the 12 gauge i already have, as this gun would be for some walked up shooting it didn't make sense. I think also i want one with some age to it, and English, something i can pass down to my first son, born on the 21st......A 16 would'nt be a bad gun for him as he grows...

• 2 weeks later...

The term originally applied to muzzle loaders where the powder, wad and shot were all the same height as the bore diameter. It has now been adopted  and currently refers to  the load height in a cartridge which is the same as the bore diameter. This configuration is said to have patterning quality advantages and particularly for fibre wadded cartridges. Simple geometry would suggest that this could well be valid and relates to the distortion of the pellets when the gun is fired. I think I'm right in saying that for the 16 this equates to 1oz.