Jo Brand

B725

2 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Yes good point but then based on that logic there would be practically no comedy left, anyone remember Ali G bigging up drugs and knives ? Perhaps he ought to have visited one of our hospitals morgues where the bodies of drug users lay or the emergency room where knife crime victims were being sewn back up. People still found him funny though curiously enough, some argue he bordered on racism incidentally as he portrayed blacks as stupid gangsters. 

Quite often comedy isnt that funny any more unless its pushing the boundaries of taste and offence.

Like you say , certain ethnicities can get away with things others cant, if someone like Manning were to get on stage now and joke about Asians, he could easily end up in trouble.
An Asian comedian telling the same joke would not.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Is anyone aware of Jo Brand and John Sergeant ever being seen anywhere together at the same time? - if so I believe they may be twins who were separated at birth, not just by looks but also by the way they talk too...

I had a private dinner with John at the Sculpture Gallery Woburn. It was a memorable and very funny evening. That man has an amazing story to tell of conflict zones that he has been too. If he is a double for Jo, he is very good at deception and had me completely fooled 🙂 

Edited by oowee

This day and age has been mentioned. It is to be hoped that some poor unfortunate person - or for that matter, some downright evil character -  doesn't decide that Ms Brand should partake in her own joke. If I were she, in the current climate, I for one wouldn't be too keen on betting against it.

10 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Yes good point but then based on that logic there would be practically no comedy left, anyone remember Ali G bigging up drugs and knives ? Perhaps he ought to have visited one of our hospitals morgues where the bodies of drug users lay or the emergency room where knife crime victims were being sewn back up. People still found him funny though curiously enough, some argue he bordered on racism incidentally as he portrayed blacks as stupid gangsters. 

If comedy can only survive around human suffering and violence then we are better off without it. Ali g was never funny to my mind. And I assume that you were not a fan either or you would not have put him forward in your response. I have been trying to think of any of the comedians from years ago that used to try and get a laugh from inciting violence and frankly can't think of one. 

Frankie Boyle has made a career out of controversial remarks, as has Jeremy Clarkson to a lesser extent.

I can understand the furore however, as there does seem to be an inconsistent level of what the beeb appears to find acceptable, coming on the heels of Danny Baker and other historical sackings. 

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

It's not a cheap laugh, it was a two second JOKE during a 20 minute performance, no doubt designed to make Farrage groupies blood boil 😂  😂 , that's funnier than the joke itself. 

She wasn't advocating a serious criminal act 😑 because it was a JOKE. 

Pity people don't go on the offensive when proper objectionable, (even genocidal) thoughts are expressed on social as well as msm.

Agreed - She's a comedian. They tell jokes. Someone or something is always the butt of the joke.

Some jokes are in "good taste" and some are in "bad taste" - I like both, but prefer the latter

The trouble with her joke as she says it is, is acid attacks aren't that uncommon but truly life changing and some leftwing lunatic may well think it's a good idea who it was aimed at is irrelevant as there's too many crack pot's out there. 

4 minutes ago, B725 said:

The trouble with her joke as she says it is, is acid attacks aren't that uncommon but truly life changing and some leftwing lunatic may well think it's a good idea who it was aimed at is irrelevant as there's too many crack pot's out there. 

Not just out there. As it seems there are some on here who follow her. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I had a private dinner with John at the Sculpture Gallery Woburn. It was a memorable and very funny evening. That man has an amazing story to tell of conflict zones that he has been too. If he is a double for Jo, he is very good at deception and had me completely fooled 🙂 

I've had dinner with him too, his story on that occasion was around Thatcher, as you say funny and memorable but I kept thinking Jo Brand whilst he was talking. I don't remember if he quipped about her or someone else did but it was definitely brought up.

1 hour ago, bostonmick said:

If comedy can only survive around human suffering and violence then we are better off without it. Ali g was never funny to my mind. And I assume that you were not a fan either or you would not have put him forward in your response. I have been trying to think of any of the comedians from years ago that used to try and get a laugh from inciting violence and frankly can't think of one. 

Actually like most people I found Ali G hilarious to begin with, together with mates we'd go around imitating his accent and phrases and fall about laughing, I did read criticism of his work from a few black people on TV but at the time dismissed it as oversensitive. Alas I have always prided myself on being able to change my mind when confronted with enough evidence that all it not as it seems; I began to realise that a lot of his work was centred around making fun of blacks, browns and gay people, he seemed very comfortable in creating and portraying  characters that mocked middle eastern and ehem, Libyan leaders, had he right then at the height of his popularity also made characters who made cutting remarks about American and Israeli injustices (albeit in fun and humour) I'd have believed he was impartial. I am of course aware of his new ludicrously unfunny, overacted and unwatchable Israeli character but as I said this needed to have happened 20 years ago not now that the world is palpably changing ;) . 

Comedy is always going to remain dark in places. 

19 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

Not just out there. As it seems there are some on here who follow her. 

Now THAT"S what you call CHEAP ;) particularly since my opening sentence on my first post went

Defo disagree with any type of behaviour involving throwing anything at anyone including Farrage but I think people are completely missing an important point here,

I don't follow her or anyone else for that matter, I find her comedy funny. 

11 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Actually like most people I found Ali G hilarious to begin with, together with mates we'd go around imitating his accent and phrases and fall about laughing, I did read criticism of his work from a few black people on TV but at the time dismissed it as oversensitive. Alas I have always prided myself on being able to change my mind when confronted with enough evidence that all it not as it seems; I began to realise that a lot of his work was centred around making fun of blacks, browns and gay people, he seemed very comfortable in creating and portraying  characters that mocked middle eastern and ehem, Libyan leaders, had he right then at the height of his popularity also made characters who made cutting remarks about American and Israeli injustices (albeit in fun and humour) I'd have believed he was impartial. I am of course aware of his new ludicrously unfunny, overacted and unwatchable Israeli character but as I said this needed to have happened 20 years ago not now that the world is palpably changing ;) . 

Comedy is always going to remain dark in places. 

Now THAT"S what you call CHEAP ;) particularly since my opening sentence on my first post went

I don't follow her or anyone else for that matter, I find her comedy funny. 

Nothing funny about acid on skin. 

21 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

Nothing funny about acid on skin. 

Very true, of course you know very well she didn't physically mean it but then why let facts get in the way of a good story. 

Edited by Hamster

Try telling Katy Piper jokes about being attacked with Acid are funny? 

Agree 100%. Acid attacks are on the increase, without some has-been trying to be controversial.

I don't recall Bernard Manning telling anyone it was funny to throw acid.

Bernard Manning crowd in the Embassy club shows he wasn't really a racist. They were all races in the audience and laughed when he roasted them. All part of the humour.

Comedy or not the BBC need to have guidelines and stick to them. 

If Jo Brand said it in a stand up slot on stage somewhere fair enough, but the BBC choosing to leave it in smacks of double standards.

Edited by figgy

Just listened to her, must admit it came over as a comment and not a joke.As I havn't seen any of  her routines  a don't know if this is what she does for an act.So my comment is given on only what she has said. 

Edited by scutt

For me it’s not what she said, but where she said it, on a publicly funded broadcaster. I objected to paying my licence fee before and even more so now. I wonder if it was this type of left wing bias that made that British Asperger sufferer think it would be a good idea to shoot Trump.

5 hours ago, figgy said:

Bernard Manning crowd in the Embassy club shows he wasn't really a racist. They were all races in the audience and laughed when he roasted them. All part of the humour.

Comedy or not the BBC need to have guidelines and stick to them. 

If Jo Brand said it in a stand up slot on stage somewhere fair enough, but the BBC choosing to leave it in smacks of double standards.

Correct. But remember the people who filled his club in those days of all types had something that is sadly lacking these days. A SENSE OF HUMOUR. 

People were intolerant of Bernard Manning - did they not have a sense of humour? More irony.

Sorry, but I just don't see anything funny about throwing acid into someone's face. Jo Brand is about as funny as Russell Brand. Both try to be controversial, without any comic talent in my book.