Jo Brand

B725

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arguing about comedy is as pointless as arguing about music. However, anyone who uses the term alternative comedian should be regarded with deep suspicion. It’s nearly 40 years after its relevance and particularly bizarre when used about someone who has made several prime time series and is a fixture on current panel shows.

The women in Bristol was sacked for making exactly the same remark but she worked for the council and should expect public pronouncements to be taken seriously. Jo brand’s pronouncements are an act (whether or not she believes them). The remark was in poor taste given the current issue of acid attacks (or has the spotlight come away from that now). Remarks about attacks on Farage/trump etc play well to the metropolitan audience and who she’s selling to.

It is not about what she said, it is about political correctness! Society is gradually removing our freedom of speech by prosecuting ordinary people for expressing an opinion that "society" doesn't approve of.......so the public quite rightly ask.........why should a TV celebrity/ comedian be any different?

11 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

The remark was described as crass and ill-judged. I totally agree. For those who don't agree - speak to the person who gave that description - Jo Brand.

Oh well that's OK then. Let's all just give her a pat on the back and say we'll done. She is not an idiot she knew full well what she was saying and if programme was recorded she had ample time to ask that the clip be removed the same as the BBC had but neither did. It's incitement of hate crime. 

3 minutes ago, bostonmick said:

Oh well that's OK then. Let's all just give her a pat on the back and say we'll done. She is not an idiot she knew full well what she was saying and if programme was recorded she had ample time to ask that the clip be removed the same as the BBC had but neither did. It's incitement of hate crime. 

That sums it up very well for me.

On 14/06/2019 at 04:20, fatchap said:

Interesting thread,

Jo Brand

Russel Brand

Frankie Boyle

John Bishop/bisham what ever his name is

Julian Clarey

Ricky Gervais

All about as funny as the Ebola Virus.

I didn,t think they were as funny as that!

Can anyone remember the last time the BBC had a Right of Centre comedian on their channels? or a Right wing comedy show?  The BBC are NOT impartial, and they know exactly what they are doing!

14 hours ago, pinfireman said:

I didn,t think they were as funny as that!

Can anyone remember the last time the BBC had a Right of Centre comedian on their channels? or a Right wing comedy show?  The BBC are NOT impartial, and they know exactly what they are doing!

Dave Allen ?

15 hours ago, pinfireman said:

25 years ago? And more anti-religion, than Pro-Right wing?

I don’t do broadcast TV anymore, but occasionally I listen to the Radio 4 6.30 comedy slot.  Usually wish I hadn’t, as it is invariably a sneering, London-media-bubble, lecture, masquerading as comedy.  Very occasionally, they have either Simon Evans or Geoff Northcott on, as token ‘right wing’ comedians.  Slightly right-of-centre would be my take on their material...

30 minutes ago, islandgun said:

was he anti religion,  he always finished with the all embracing line "May your god go with you"..😄

I worked with Dave Allen in the 1970,s, on 3 separate  occasions. Along with others, we would spend an hour after his cabaret act, having a drink with him in hios dressing room, ( I even fitted a cassette player in his wife,s Mini ;) ). I can assure you that Dave  was an atheist, but understood that the majority of his audiences were not.  Hence his  closing line....

7 minutes ago, pinfireman said:

I worked with Dave Allen in the 1970,s, on 3 separate  occasions. Along with others, we would spend an hour after his cabaret act, having a drink with him in hios dressing room, ( I even fitted a cassette player in his wife,s Mini ;) ). I can assure you that Dave  was an atheist, but understood that the majority of his audiences were not.  Hence his  closing line....

:good:

1 hour ago, bostonmick said:

I wonder how many times hamster has dreamt of this. 🤣

Hamster thinks all women are facially beautiful but beyond that I'm afraid he's got rather "lean" requirements, strictly champagne glass cup cakes for a start. 

Just to give you an idea, always thought Sam Fox was a bit on the chubby side.