Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
motty

A late report

Recommended Posts

I have been busy lately (lazy), so I thought I had better belatedly report on a day on the peas from the 1st of June, while some of the events remain in the memory bank.

My old buddy Julian had invited me to a field where a newly formed flock of up to 500 pigeons were raiding. The gas guns surrounding the area had had little effect at deterring them.

On arriving at the field at 10.30am, it was clear to see the damage they had done. Most of the rest of the field was over a foot tall, yielding nicely podded, small peas. Over an acre (our chosen set up point) was nigh on mown to bare earth, and will amount to no crop.

It was set to be the hottest day of the year so far, so maybe I should use that as a good starting excuse of why I shot like a one armed Stevie Wonder. I was missing the easiest doddlers to start with. This soon became frustrating, especially after I had shot so well the previous week.

Never mind, Jules was shooting pretty well. We were starting to build a reasonable bag over our starting set up of magnet and flocked shells. I added a couple of angels. The magnet position was changed once during the day, which had a positive effect on birds decoying better and closer.

The farmer who gave Jules the call was almost certainly right in his estimation of pigeons that had accumulated on this field. However, it was clear that some were now preferring another field of peas on the farm, and also the standing rape. This meant the day, though very pleasant, was slow at times.

I think my dog performed pretty well on the day (certainly better than I did) and I was pleased with some of his retrieves.

By about 4.30pm we packed up, having amassed 76 pigeons and a little bit of sunburn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice belated report but like they say , better late than never , we have three Pea fields on the estate that have now got small pods on and are looking in first class condition , one of the fields where I have been getting regular shooting suffered badly with Rabbit damage from the start and a part of the field is still producing pigeons , I am no longer interested in shooting all day as I find on a hot day you don't get much movement till after dinner , but all fields are different and your ones might produce a few throughout the day , I also find by not giving them to much stick on one day you can shoot it again after a few days rest .

Anyhow, after all this rain I can see we will be shooting on laid or knocked about Barley by the end of the month . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, marsh man said:

A nice belated report but like they say , better late than never , we have three Pea fields on the estate that have now got small pods on and are looking in first class condition , one of the fields where I have been getting regular shooting suffered badly with Rabbit damage from the start and a part of the field is still producing pigeons , I am no longer interested in shooting all day as I find on a hot day you don't get much movement till after dinner , but all fields are different and your ones might produce a few throughout the day , I also find by not giving them to much stick on one day you can shoot it again after a few days rest .

Anyhow, after all this rain I can see we will be shooting on laid or knocked about Barley by the end of the month . 

I wouldn't be surprised if I was shooting on laid cereals by the weekend. I have seen some fields that are completely flat. I also saw pigeons dropping in on laid wheat yesterday.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Nice report, but no image!

Sorry, my pal was a little slow with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the report Maestro. As for your shooting, my advice is for you to take out a novice as I recently did and who will be impressed by your occasional hits.

East Lincolnshire really suffered from the rain and winds and on my journey to and from the coast yesterday I saw what amounted to many hundreds of acres of laid wheat and barley, some with pigeons on already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JDog said:

Thanks for the report Maestro. As for your shooting, my advice is for you to take out a novice as I recently did and who will be impressed by your occasional hits.

East Lincolnshire really suffered from the rain and winds and on my journey to and from the coast yesterday I saw what amounted to many hundreds of acres of laid wheat and barley, some with pigeons on already.

after all that rain...and it is still raining................NO LAID CEREALS AT ALL..............(and no pigeons)........the sugar beet is larger now than it was at lifting last year......the potatoes are going stupid ...going to be a very heavy couple of crops here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

PC will be impressed at the presentation 🤔

Impressed more like amazed!!, it must have been Jules who laid them out as the pose suggests Motty stood with his hands in his pockets ??

 

Thanks for the belated report , as some of the members are not able to get out as they wish it's nice to let them see what is going on.

With the recent heavy rain have you noticed and webbing between the toes????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done guys, i'm sure you were very pleased with a bag like that in early June. I will have to stop being lazy myself and put some sort of report up sometime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting, nice report. I am as beginning to think the pigeons had deserted Norfolk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

 

With the recent heavy rain have you noticed and webbing between the toes????

What I did notice last night when I went to look at the Peas was the lack of pigeons , I put this down as the land was just to wet , I walked down the tram lines and that was bad enough even though under foot was firm , on the open ground you would have sunk down 4 / 5 inches  and I don't think the pigeons would have liked getting to much mud on there feet , been raining off and on all day today and tomorrow should start getting better .

 

7 hours ago, motty said:

I wouldn't be surprised if I was shooting on laid cereals by the weekend. I have seen some fields that are completely flat. I also saw pigeons dropping in on laid wheat yesterday.

 

 Haven't seen any Wheat gone down yet as most of our Winter Wheat have only just got the heads on and if there was any grain inside it would be on the light side , although there are a lot of different varieties grown nowadays and yours might be the long slender stem variety .

Stacks of barley gone down and a lot more that is knocked about and wont get back up again , all good news but I wonder if to much have gone down and the pigeons will be spoilt for choice .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:
9 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

PC will be impressed at the presentation 🤔

Impressed more like amazed!!, it must have been Jules who laid them out as the pose suggests Motty stood with his hands in his pockets

Spot on PC, I did lay them out while he looked for a lost one!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, kenholland said:

I'm glad you kept to G L with that row of bird scarer's in the background , well done.

Think he has a name 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...