Teal Chokes - A Short Review

Wingman

I ordered a set of 3 of these new Teal chokes on Friday and they turned up yesterday, so thought I would post up a brief write up.  I ordered 3 chokes from the website at about 1pm on Friday I wanted some more open chokes anyway for my 682 so went for 1 Skeet and 2 in 1/4 restriction.  I dont like "bling" on my guns so ordered them in the plain silver finish but they do them in various finished including gold and rather odd looking copper colour.  Within 30 minutes I received a call from Mark at Teal chokes saying that unfortunately the skeet one wasn't in stock in the plain silver finish.  He offered to provide me with an alternative so I went for the nickel finish which he assured me was subdued and definitely not shiny and  chrome like!, good customer service and he was really helpful. I did a bit of research and found out that Teal is part of a group of Turkish companies that seem to be imported by a UK based firm called Velocity Armouries https://www.velocity-armouries.co.uk/ they offer a number of products including a range of guns from a company I have never heard of called Balikli Arms (take a look some of them are rather "interesting" aesthetically!).  So these chokes are clearly of Turkish origin and definitely not made in the UK not that that's necessarily a bad thing at the price they sell at. 

They arrived well packaged by a courier yesterday in a rather nice plastic storage box

IMG_0031.JPG.3174f39d3853995fd705de5f9d647193.JPG

1739841292_IMG_00321.JPG.8a6af5854a11c7c5f982ce013da82adb.JPG

Overall quality seems very good they seem well machined with no burrs or rough edges,  they are about 3mm shorter than my Brileys that were currently in the gun.  The choke key however is quite poor with very shallow grooves and it looks like its been made with a file, that said its functional but I'll be using my Teague choke spanner!  The finish in the chokes (Nickel) is very nice but I wouldn't call it nickel though as its quite dark and not particularly shiny which is good as I dont want anything to flashy on the end of my gun! Not sure how long the finish will last though.

534622311_IMG_00341.JPG.11bf1a55cb355122a448905ddcc7fc9e.JPG

I took the opportunity to clean the choke threads on my gun with acetone before fitting and gave the chokes a light smear of Napier VP90 grease before inserting them, they went in smoothly with just a slight bit of "scratchiness" at the end of the threads one choke was slightly worse for this than the other (the skeet one) which suggests that the tolerances may not be 100% perfect.

1527399699_IMG_00361.JPG.5078e87a5d3b0eff87084367b3744ab2.JPG

I think they look the business, and for the price I am very pleased with them so far.  I havent shot the gun yet or patterned it but I am hoping to get out on the clays at the weekend so will post an update on how they perform.  I definitely would like to pattern the gun at some point to see how these compare to the other chokes I have (the gun came with a set of Beretta flush chokes and half set of Briley extended ones).

Anyway hope this helps if your thinking of buying some will let you know how I get on if the rain stops over the weekend!

Edited by Wingman

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Good review, hopefully you will report back after using them in anger.

You could have upgraded from the £4:00 choke key to the much nicer £9:00 version.

Thanks!

I dont need another choke key, this one was part of the package so I'll chuck it in my spares box for now!

47 minutes ago, figgy said:

Thanks for the write up, out of curiosity what made you pick Teal over some more Briley chokes ? Purely cost or had you heard good things about them.

Getting 3 chokes for not a lot more than a single Briley was one factor they seemed like good value but really I bought them mainly out of interest to see what they would be like.  I have today compared them again against a Teague super extended from my Perazzi and a Briley from my 682.  Looking VERY closely you can see that the machining on the Teals isn't quite as good as the other "premium" chokes.  The threading seems a bit sharper and the overall finish isnt as uniform as that on the Teague or Briley.  But at the end of the day they fit into the gun smoothly enough and I am sure with my level of shooting ability I'll not notice a difference!

They dont have any information on the constriction on the Teal website so I am assuming they are are standard (ie. 5 thou for Skeet etc) .

Edited by Wingman

Indeed, pattern plate would be the best option.  As it happens I just emailed Teal chokes and asked the question, got a response back from their technical department within 30 minutes, I have to say I am really impressed with their customer service some of our more established companies could learn a thing or two from them. This is what they said:

"Our chokes are measured in metric increments so it will be 710 for 1/4 and 700 for Skeet"

Edited by Wingman

Dont know when i'll get a chance to be honest, local clay ground requires it to be booked and its often a bit of a faff to get a slot.  Havent been up to my permission for a while so not able to set a makeshift one there until I have spoken to the farm manager about the the new GL etc.  My first tests will probably be to see if the little flying discs smash when I pull the trigger on Sunday!

Edited by Wingman

• 1 month later...