Starlings!

Wingman

Since about March we have had a family of starlings nesting in a gap in the roof in our extension above my sons bedroom. The little ******* start tweeting at about 4am and carry on throughout the day.  It sounds like they have chicks but I thought they would have fledged by now but it seems not.  My wife is keen that I dont get my AirArms rifle out and sort them out and I dont want to fall foul of the law although my neighbour has the same problem and is keen to get them "sorted" so doubt they would mind!

Does anyone know anything about these annoying birds and when they might go away? Is there a legal way to deal with them?

Just now, Wingman said:

Since about March we have had a family of starlings nesting in a gap in the roof in our extension above my sons bedroom. The little ******* start tweeting at about 4am and carry on throughout the day.  It sounds like they have chicks but I thought they would have fledged by now but it seems not.  My wife is keen that I dont get my AirArms rifle out and sort them out and I dont want to fall foul of the law although my neighbour has the same problem and is keen to get them "sorted" so doubt they would mind!

Does anyone know anything about these annoying birds and when they might go away? Is there a legal way to deal with them?

If you want to stay the right side of the law, wait for the chicks to fledge, then proof the roof against them.......rolled up wire netting in the hole/gap (quick, easy and cheap!) will stop em gaining access again!

I have been waiting for them to fledge since April!  They must be at it again and making new ones!

So just to be clear I cant "dispatch" them legally on my own property even on the basis of health risks as they are messing all down the side of the wall and onto the patio??

26 minutes ago, Wingman said:

I have been waiting for them to fledge since April!  They must be at it again and making new ones!

So just to be clear I cant "dispatch" them legally on my own property even on the basis of health risks as they are messing all down the side of the wall and onto the patio??

No you can't, a listed bird I believe?

More than likely a second brood, as chrisjpainter says, they are in decline so don’t kill them, if you can put-up with them till they fledge you can then block the entrance, don’t know if you are a gardener but they are good for your garden and especially your lawn.  

27 minutes ago, twenty said:

Starlings are great mimics, very often I've heard odd sounding Blackbirds only to see a starling going for it, apparently they are quite easy to tame, if you find a youngster, (Legally ). and can be taught to talk.

I definitely don't want one as a pet!!!!! But the cat would probably like it. 

Mrs got a cat and its not a year old yet,its been like the friggin terminator this week with young starlings one after the other.

does a better job of retrieving than the spaniel.think the parents are bringing the young to feed from next doors bird table making em easy pickings.

keep telling em  not to put food down but i'm wasting me breath.

Edited by Remimax

1 minute ago, Remimax said:

Mrs got a cat and its not a year old yet,its been like the friggin terminator this week with young starlings one after the other.

does a better job of retrieving than the spaniel.think the parents are bringing the young to feed from next door bird table making em easy pickings.

Put a bell on a  cat collar,.......only for the next few weeks

5 hours ago, Wingman said:

Watch them until they fledge! Once they are out of the nest just fill the hole up! 

6 minutes ago, Remimax said:

does a better job of retrieving than the spaniel.think the parents are bringing the young to feed from next doors bird table making em easy pickings.

You're telling your neighbours not to put food on their bird table because your cat is killing the young birds?

Roll some fine wire mesh up and stuff in the hole and then apply the foam. Foam on it's own will not always work.  I had the same problem in the eaves of my house and the birds...great tits..just dug their way in. Eventually when doing a full repair on the  eaves we filled it with mortar, job done.