Oooooo venison

team tractor

33 minutes ago, team tractor said:

After shooting a few muntys at the weekend they were butchered and shared between friends and family. I kept a rack of ribs , saddle cut and a rear leg . 

Tonight I cooked up a bit of it for the family. 

The spare ribs were delicious 

C489F2A0-867F-45B7-9AC6-906F500DBEDF.jpeg

2F19E5EC-A3CC-4D4B-9479-8EE6262BE731.jpeg

8F3740A4-5CF3-4B96-A5FC-500F619BD12A.jpeg

B23656DC-6986-437B-BED9-181B7484A1B4.jpeg

08BCE4DE-C63A-4592-B723-9C588A68D6BF.jpeg

I’ll add I’m no cook but enjoy cooking 

That looks tasty,........I just had a pizza for my tea...ugh

My family “just” happen to visit when l’m skinning/butchering muntjacs, l think they must have a second sense or they’ve spoken to their mother the night before after l’ve gone out shooting for the evening.

But yes it’s definitely one of the favourites to eat, that’s if there’s any left 🤔

Weight wise they differ greatly 7/8kg tops.

2 hours ago, Jonty said:

That looks lovely.  I've yet to try muntjac as we don't have them on the ground I shoot.  But I have heard they are delicious .  What's a typical dressed carcass weight if you don't mind me asking?

All we have is munty locally. 20 miles away  we have fallow, red and Roe about 40 miles away. It’s crazy that they haven’t ventured this far. 

Ive never weighed one sorry. As it’s my ground I don’t pay for anything so never tried.

1 hour ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

My family “just” happen to visit when l’m skinning/butchering muntjacs, l think they must have a second sense or they’ve spoken to their mother the night before after l’ve gone out shooting for the evening.

But yes it’s definitely one of the favourites to eat, that’s if there’s any left 🤔

Weight wise they differ greatly 7/8kg tops.

I’ve given a munty away to a mate for helping me and half of my own to the owner and family. It’s good to share tho :) 

Thanks for the feed back - a 12kg carcass sounds an extraction dream.... we should set up an exchange on here - come to Scotland and shoot a red  etc...

my in laws live I the forest   Of dean and have both boar and muntjac visiting their acre garden but short of putting in a 10m tower it’s not feasible to shoot  

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

Thanks for the feed back - a 12kg carcass sounds an extraction dream.... we should set up an exchange on here - come to Scotland and shoot a red  etc...

my in laws live I the forest   Of dean and have both boar and muntjac visiting their acre garden but short of putting in a 10m tower it’s not feasible to shoot  

It’s a pain with 2 tho . I just rang the landowner with his landy :) 

9 hours ago, team tractor said:

It’s a pain with 2 tho . I just rang the landowner with his landy  

Now you're just showing off!  I don't shoot a lot of deer but they are mostly Reds, the one Roe I have ever shot was a revelation that I could put it over my shoulders and carry it!

Edited by Jonty

31 minutes ago, Jonty said:

Now you're just showing off!  I don't shoot a lot of deer but they are mostly Reds, the one Roe I have ever shot was a revelation that I could put it over my shoulders and carry it!

I chucked my first over my shoulder and it leaked stomach acid down my rifle , it’s still stained.

i just grab the back legs and drag now. It’s 15 minute walk max so not to bad. Funny thing is tho those front teeth collect loads of grass

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 09:04, team tractor said:

I chucked my first over my shoulder and it leaked stomach acid down my rifle , it’s still stained.

i just grab the back legs and drag now. It’s 15 minute walk max so not to bad. Funny thing is tho those front teeth collect loads of grass

Just a quick tip, if you pull with the front legs or tie a bit of rope just under the head on the neck it is easier as it creates a lot less friction, having had to drag a Roe @ a mile and a half before now I can testify that it is easier.

scobydog

I have a cheap canvas roe sack.   It will take one full grown roe or a couple of munties.   Carrying is easy because it wraps the carcass up then fits on like a rucksack.   However, I am old - Can't deny it.   So I usually drag the bag.   Slides easily over any terrain around here.

They do taste absolutely delicious.   Best of the deer family I think.  

On a recent trip I was lucky enough to get three.   Gave one to old friend and did two for friends and the Memsahib and myself.

Going to have some for supper...  

On 14/06/2019 at 21:14, Jonty said:

I almost always stick to shooting munties these days. For a start they are such good eating and even better you can gut them and then with all four legs together carry them out like a medium size suit case, plus no struggle to get them in my Landie or on the carrier.  Some people hate them but I personally think they are a great little addition to our countryside.

As I said to TT, try and get some wildboar and cranberry pate from Aldi then if not some farmhouse/mushroom will do as well.  Butterfly the backstrap, fill with the pate and then roll the whole lot in smokey bacon and roast.  Hot or cold, delicious.

32 minutes ago, Fisheruk said:

TT that looks delicious 👍. Pity we don’t have any around here. Maybe some day 🤔 Just have to make do with the Roe 🙄

I’d love roe around here David . It’s only the last 5 years really that we have them but it’s still big gaps between them 

11 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Just boned the one out from last Friday (7.5kg) ready for Burgers, kept the 2 loins for BBQ, boned out a whole belly of pork and mince day Monday. 

Was supposed to get a red this week but bloomin weather fluffed it up. 

Excuses !!!