'Starter' o/u for my lad!

gsalmons

Hi

I was recently looking at a Rizzini E locally but the seller has gone AWOL, so I'm looking for an o/u starter in 12g ideally 28" for my teenage lad. Max budget is £200 - so if you're local (ish) to Alfreton in Derbys and have something please let me know.

I'm not in any major rush but he's using mine for the time being.....!

Thanks in advance,

Morning, I have a barely used Baikal 3" m/c st ej ( less than 250rds). It comes with 1/4, 1/2 & full chokes, one of the new generation of Baikal, about 3yrs old from Melbourne Guns. I'm not too far from you at J11 on the 42. £200 , pm me if you're interested.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by 243TSR
Updated

Apologies if this seems blunt but it's not how far away it may be or how cheap it is, the most important considerations are does it fit him and is it safe. Pay £200 for a cheapy, like a Rizzini and, after your son has shot it for a couple of years, it's likely to be worthless whereas if you stretch your budget to around £400 you can pick up an early Miroku or Winnie that will outlast him and  pretty much pay you back your outlay when you sell it.

On 16/06/2019 at 08:57, bruno22rf said:

Apologies if this seems blunt but it's not how far away it may be or how cheap it is, the most important considerations are does it fit him and is it safe. Pay £200 for a cheapy, like a Rizzini and, after your son has shot it for a couple of years, it's likely to be worthless whereas if you stretch your budget to around £400 you can pick up an early Miroku or Winnie that will outlast him and  pretty much pay you back your outlay when you sell it.

Sorry , but actually it does.

He wants to spend max of £200 and he doesnt want to travel far.
There could be a great gun in Essex but thats £50 worth of fuel away and best part of a days drive.

Point is, why is that £200 Rizzini going to be worth 'nothing in a couple of years' ? Its probably 30 -40 years old, same as your Miroku or Winchester will be.
Why would it suddenly drop in value now ?

Ive actually got a Rizzini E , its a great gun, and I paid £200 for it, and no i dont want to sell it.
Saw an ad for the same gun in a 1987 edition of Shooting Times yesterday, was £3-400 a cheap gun then, I reckon thats about a grand in todays money.

IMG_20190617_150744.jpg

Hi

I'm only wanting to spend 'low' at the moment as my lad (as a typical teenager) may only commit to clay shooting until something else comes along.....girls & booze if I remember!!

If his interest drops off I don't mind holding onto a cheap 'spare' 2nd o/u but cant warrant £400 - £600 just sitting in my cabinet I'm afraid. Spending only £200 now gives him a basic start and an idea of mount / safety etc, with the other cash going on carts (which I can use when he gets bored!). If he gets hooked & committed then of course the budget would be increased to another gun if he finds the starter not 100%.

Hence the low budget & search area.

I'm popping into Neville's on Sat and Cockett ground over the weekend so will see what/if anything turns up.

Cheers all