Anyone reload for pistols back in the day?

Hi I reloaded 9mm but found it better to go for cheap factory berdan primer loads (we are talking nearly 40 years ago)

issues i found for reloading were getting consistent OAL; consistent  casting of bullet heads. I never went subsonic and found a load (cant remember details) that functioned for me H&K PS9 and didn't change  

regards

gdadphil

26 minutes ago, gdadphil said:

Hi I reloaded 9mm but found it better to go for cheap factory berdan primer loads (we are talking nearly 40 years ago)

issues i found for reloading were getting consistent OAL; consistent  casting of bullet heads. I never went subsonic and found a load (cant remember details) that functioned for me H&K PS9 and didn't change  

regards

gdadphil

me too...........i used mostly aluminium cased IMI stuff for my 9mm...far more consistant

Had a play with 147gr plated  and bullseye loads out of my  Browning hi power  and if i  remember correctly it was using 3.2 grains and    chrono was about 950 fps and cycled the action reasonably reliably.

Edited by Andy H
error

44 minutes ago, gdadphil said:

regards

gdadphil

S&B rounds were as cheap as reloads and stunningly accurate and reliable . Used to come in boxes of 25s as I recall  

Yes as Best I can remember 147 grain full metal jacketed bullets great through the moderated smg not silent but very quiet.To be honest can’t recall using them in a self loading pistol .They were issue fodder and Brendan primed. Have you tried the cast boolits site they have a wealth of knowledge. If memory serves me correctly Mountain and Souden? Silver box vague memories of 115 grain hard cast cartridges. Sad how your memory fades!

I  used to order the 174 grain 303 bullets  and silvalube .455 bullets from M&S , Also remember a big lot of Israeli 147 smg ammo  coming  onto the market   the club purchase d 2-3 thousand  as it was cheap and the members of the club using it in the pistols   ,Glocks ,star  Etc  and it put a lot of new members off of using and buying a 9mm handgun i  also remember an incident where a members wife  used it in a Glock 17  she never recovered from the flinch  she  developed because of it and could not even use a 22 pistol without ploughing the grass in front of the target.

Edited by Andy H
new informationb

7 hours ago, Andy H said:

I  used to order the 174 grain 303 bullets  and silvalube .455 bullets from M&S , Also remember a big lot of Israeli 147 smg ammo  coming  onto the market   the club purchase d 2-3 thousand  as it was cheap and the members of the club using it in the pistols   ,Glocks ,star  Etc  and it put a lot of new members off of using and buying a 9mm handgun i  also remember an incident where a members wife  used it in a Glock 17  she never recovered from the flinch  she  developed because of it and could not even use a 22 pistol without ploughing the grass in front of the target.

Yes I remember that Israeli 9mm ammo, the cases were bulged after firing it was that hot. Perfectly reloadable cases otherwise but they would jam in the resizing die.

Nostalgia ....don’t wish to veer too far from the original posters question but I had a colt delta elite in the new then 10 mm .....bought some Norma factory rounds loaded mag . Chambered round obtained excellent sight picture BOOM ball of flame 🔥 cloud of smoke 💨 kick like a 🐎NO FRONT SIGHT.......it blew off with the recoil.... brand new pistol 🔫 ......gutted!! Flinch was an understatement. Sold it promptly.