A few on peas

GingerCat

I met JDog earlier this afternoon whereupon  we went to one of his many permissions where some pigeons were eating the peas.

The field in question was probably around 50 acres of young peas with 3 or so woods some 500 yards or so further on in each direction. Parking at one end it was easy to see birds flying from these woods and dropping into the crop on the far side. This went on a some time and we felt confident of a bag full. 

We set up exactly where the birds had been only moments earlier and with the help of a mechanical bird scaring device we felt pretty sure that we'd do well. Alas it wasn't to be. Within about 20 minutes the line stopped. And I mean stopped. Dead. 

It was now at the far end of the field where we hard watched from originally  and as strong as any line I've seen this year.  Groups of between 4 and 14 birds were flying from a distant wood, crossing over a lone bush and then diving into the field next to the top hedge. We gave it another 20 minutes to be sure (it got stronger) before bagging off where we were and moving.

Once set up again JDog remarked on one of life's great mysteries. That being why a line of pigeons just stops as soon as you get on it and before even a shot is fired. 

For reasons only known to themselves the line had again packed up. We moved the decoys about and raised a few on sticks but to little effect. A few decoyed very nicely and came right in. Not that I could manage to shoot them. A few more came within 70 yards before turning back. Whatever the issue was we packed up after a couple of enjoyable hours with 17 hard won birds picked. 

Yes we saw 100 pigeons use the second line in an hour but as soon as we moved to it the line stopped.

Compensation came in the form of Painted Lady butterflies. Miraculously these must have come from the Continent in the wind and rain earlier in the week. Several pairs entertained us doing their mating dances right outside our hides.

Oh yes and I shot two Carrion crows.

I had an afternoon during the week which was the same , I put well over 100 pigeons off a Pea field after it had stopped raining , the conditions were still dark with a bit of drizzle and the ones that did come back just didn't want to know and didn't pay the slightest bit of attention to the decoy set up , I put this down to everywhere being really wet and dreary , mind you , I recon if it had been the man in the photo just above me you would have now been looking at a photo with him crouching down with a bit bag of pigeons laid out all neat and tidy with a big smile on his face :hmm:

Lots of pea's round my area(vale) with lots and lots of attention building from passing pigeons, been watching a chap this morning shooting over one of the fields, birds were acting really nervous jinking of about 80 yards from his rotary, his hide was a tiny bit visible with his movement inside and the rotary wasnt where it needed to be but good to see and hear people having ago again after all the xxxx. good on him and good luck

44 minutes ago, Naeem said:

I take we don't have any licencing restrictions now on the woodies? 

The new licence for Pigeon  issued by Defra (GL36) is easier to understand than the previous, now superceded version issued by Natural England; and gives us more scope on where and when we can shoot. However, your question appears to suggest you havent read it ? There are restrictions, and I would suggest you would be very unwise to go out Pigeon shooting until you have read, learnt and inwardly digested what the licence actually say`s.

In the highly unlikely event that the Police or a rep from Natural England turned up to question you, it wont be much good saying that a member of the Pigeon Watch forum said it was OK.

Edited by JJsDad