Friendly rant

NoBodyImportant

Our government (North Carolina) let the shrimp boats to come into the sound and destroy the shrimp population.  The old law was they had to stay 3 miles off coast. This destroyed the native flounder population.  So now they are banning flounder fishing by anglers.  But not banning commercial fishing.  Anglers take almost nothing from the population compared to commercial operations that drag huge nets killing everything they pull up.  So I have until August 1st to stock the freezer.  I’m spending the next few weekends down at my fishing shack with the family.  It’s super crowded with fishermen right now as everyone is stocking up. 

8F33BB44-2231-482D-BDC3-C22541951137.jpeg

99CC8C3A-B114-4091-B524-7591C3A27E63.jpeg

A7CDB199-52BA-4D2F-A233-50632F3D7CD9.jpeg

Same here mate, we're only a small island really, and I've watched the trawlers go through a place called cardigan Bay whilst I've been fishing, dragging everything up. Turned the water into sand. About 10 years ago I gave up fishing there because of this, used to get a good mixed bag, last time I went could even get a dogfish. Rays disappeared. Seeing as I catch and release (don't eat any thing with scales 😅) I gave up fishing, though I still have a 16ft boat to potter out on. 

On the story of flounders, I used to watch the boys in Gorseinon estuary near Swansea spear fish the flounders coming in with the shallow tide. They had a lab, that would stand with them stock still, until they speared one, they then would hand it to the dog, and he'd run back to the shore and drop it in a bucket. Was a pleasure to watch. 

Perhaps all the shore anglers need to write to your governors protesting this decision! If you all get together and line the shores with lines and sinkers in the water “no hooks” your not fishing, but it may be enough for them to get the authorities to be sent out. When they say no arrests were made, point this out as a similarity of what fish are taken! As opposed to the decimation the trawlers are causing. 

I have seen trawlers here in the UK leave the estuary just past the pier heads in Sunderland and start their  sweeps with the nets too. But then our waters are raped by the french and Spanish trawlers now anyway! 

I think a better comparison would be our situation regarding  bass.

Recreational shore anglers are heavily restricted to preserve stocks, while commercial fishing boats are catching them by the ton.

Doesn't take a genius to work out which has the most detrimental effect on fish stocks 

I feel for you. The same happened in the Clyde in Scotland. Bottom trawling was restricted to 3 miles offshore. Then due to pressure from the fishing industry, the government repealed that law in the 80s, allowing trawling up to the shore. The result was the devastation of the fish stocks in the Clyde. 

I liken it to having a woodland full of diversity and a great habitat for all different types of species. You destroy that wood then plough it on a weekly basis. Nothing is left except worms. It's the same with the sea bed.

Years ago the shipbuilders on the Clyde threatened to go on strike. The reason? They where fed up being fed with freshly caught salmon on a daily basis. They where that many salmon and other fish, the yard owners used that resource as the cheapest way to feed the workers. Now,  you need to wait for the mackerel to catch anything in large amounts. And even then, they are being overfished. 

Same with the Atlantic Salmon, they have, for years, been raped by the netsmen in the river, in the estuary.......and at sea by trawlers fishing off the UK coast, to such an extent that the runs are a shadow of what they were..........even though calculations confirm catches by rod and line amount to under 5% of the total runs, for 15+ years rod and line fishing on our local river has been subject by law, to catch and release, from opening day in February to 16th June....yesterday, Saturday 15th June without any notice, I received a letter from the Environmental agency stating they had imposed an emergency bylaw making the whole river system catch and release for the rest of the season!........this river was not classified as "at risk" last year........but they have made an Assessment and concluded last year "Salmon numbers in the river are significantly below conservation limits" what does an "assessment"  mean, they have guessed! Numbers are usually determined by red counts and declared numbers caught by rod and line.............Any Salmon angler on the river will tell you red counts last year Autumn were impossible because of river levels, numbers of fish caught by rod and line last season were low again because of water levels during the season...........after the season ended the river was full of returning Salmon!

We the rod and line anglers are being penalised by the failure of the authorities to address overfishing, over many years, by commercial fishing, now we have had our traditional pastime/sport/harvest removed completely, on no evidence whatsoever, by the decision of bunch of officious incompetents!....******* disgraceful!

I have just pinged a very strongly worded factual email to the EA, for what good it will do.....but it makes me feel better!

Edited by panoma1

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

Same here mate, we're only a small island really, and I've watched the trawlers go through a place called cardigan Bay whilst I've been fishing, dragging everything up. Turned the water into sand. About 10 years ago I gave up fishing there because of this, used to get a good mixed bag, last time I went could even get a dogfish. Rays disappeared. Seeing as I catch and release (don't eat any thing with scales 😅) I gave up fishing, though I still have a 16ft boat to potter out on. 

On the story of flounders, I used to watch the boys in Gorseinon estuary near Swansea spear fish the flounders coming in with the shallow tide. They had a lab, that would stand with them stock still, until they speared one, they then would hand it to the dog, and he'd run back to the shore and drop it in a bucket. Was a pleasure to watch. 

What was your trick? Stand next to the bucket? 

Easy fishing 😜😜😂😂😂

My buddy and I used to go sea fishing regularly, both beach and charter boat but we haven't been for about 3years now because of Bass regulations and we'd only catch pin-whiting. We both catch to eat but it's just not worth the journey now.

The amount we'd spend on bait, tackle and meals in the local shops then it has to be a hit to the local economy.

EU Common Market my backside🤬

So the trawlers are allowed to come in close to catch more fluke and you along with a whole load of people who can afford a fishing shack go down to fill up your freezer?

It's not exactly sustainance fishing is it? If you want to take the moral high ground would it not be better to not fish? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2019 at 16:27, henry d said:

So the trawlers are allowed to come in close to catch more fluke and you along with a whole load of people who can afford a fishing shack go down to fill up your freezer?

It's not exactly sustainance fishing is it? If you want to take the moral high ground would it not be better to not fish? 

Anglers are not the problem.  This ban does not prohibit commercial fishing.   While we can still go buy the fish from the fish markets but catching them out shelves is now illegal.  But they can still drag nets and kills thousands.  When they pull up the nets the can only keep them if they are 15in long.  But it takes hours to sort the haul.  So the small babies are dead but they are still thrown over board.  Fishing with a hook you pull them in and if the are undersized them you get them back in the water in under a minute.  

Kinda like saying you can’t grow apples trees but you can still buy apples from orchards.  

On 16/06/2019 at 21:27, henry d said:

Nothing wrong with catching the fish you eat with a rod and line, easily the most sustainable method...I take it your a vegan.. oh wait, arnt vegans the consumers of Soy ?  the growing of which,  is responsible for ever increasing large lumps of rainforest being cleared...right on

Edited by islandgun

2 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Nothing wrong with catching the fish you eat with a rod and line, easily the most sustainable method...I take it your a vegan.. oh wait, arnt vegans the consumers of Soy ?  the growing of which,  is responsible for ever increasing large lumps of rainforest being cleared...right on

😂 plant lives matters.  

7 hours ago, islandgun said:

I agree and I catch and release or keep as necessary or legally requirement but if fluke are like our bass I would be going out and taking them just because I can. Same happened with the salmon on the Tay, low catch rates, legal restrictions, for me it's a no brainer, I don't want to be part of the system that is responsible for the demise of that fish

30 minutes ago, henry d said:

I agree and I catch and release or keep as necessary or legally requirement but if fluke are like our bass I would be going out and taking them just because I can. Same happened with the salmon on the Tay, low catch rates, legal restrictions, for me it's a no brainer, I don't want to be part of the system that is responsible for the demise of that fish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_flounder

Just had a look, seems some debate but the American flounder,  doesn't look endangered. the fact remains that rod and line fishing to feed your family is the least damaging fishing method, especially compared to trawling with its seabed damaging and bye catch problems. you could argue that everyone should catch their own fish if they want to claim any sort of moral high ground..😉

Edited by islandgun

I would do but I don't think it is feasible yet as MCZ etc need to be thought out to use the sea as a resource and not a nature park or something to rape and then allow to lie fallow periodically.

I was on a pier today and someone said to his mate"You can have the fish I don't want them" that is not sustainable so there is a need for either education or licensing/legislation.

15 minutes ago, henry d said:

I would do but I don't think it is feasible yet as MCZ etc need to be thought out to use the sea as a resource and not a nature park or something to rape and then allow to lie fallow periodically.

I was on a pier today and someone said to his mate"You can have the fish I don't want them" that is not sustainable so there is a need for either education or licensing/legislation.

sadly any kind of restriction quickly results in a higher demand and the value of the catch increasing, which also increases the commercial pressure [legal or otherwise] humanity seldom shows any self restraint.. the clown on the pier is literally a drop in the ocean

12 minutes ago, islandgun said:

sadly any kind of restriction quickly results in a higher demand and the value of the catch increasing, which also increases the commercial pressure [legal or otherwise] humanity seldom shows any self restraint.. the clown on the pier is literally a drop in the ocean

This,  I bet the markets are going to raise their prices.