Are these people really homeless?

Lloyd90

3 hours ago, dodgy dave said:

i wonder how she got a mortgage

When a friend of my mum bought their council house years ago the council took care of all that for them. Talk about being handed it on a plate. No deposit to find, no solicitor's bill and they got the house for about half the market value.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 17/06/2019 at 10:21, Vince Green said:

For many years in London (I can only speak for London)  single parenthood was the ONLY way most young working class women could ever get a place of their own  They couldn't ever earn enough to rent or buy. So a free council flat, provided for them more or less on demand in those days, and a life on benefits was the route of choice.

WORKING CLASS?????

single parent not working getting benefits is not working class!  

part of the issue is the expectation that people have a right to a house/flat of their own.  When i wanted to leave home i had choices... rent a flat or buy if rich enough, bedsit, lodgings, join army or old bill and get accommodation or a job with tied housing.   now people want a house of their own straight away.

imho benefits should be limited to 80% of what you could earn on minimum wages for a standard 40 hour week.... and that includes housing etc.  if you choose to become pregnant after starting on benefits then they should not rise due to that kiddy.  your choice.

i know i am probably thought of as harsh, but i grew up with self employed parents who worked long hours, even when ill could not claim a penny as they were self employed.  i chose to pay into a mortgage scheme and not P*** all of it away on holidays etc so now cannot ever claim a penny.

i also spent too many years knowing that the job i got sent to with the people, ****** in the street midweek causing hassle in the early hours would not be people with a job to go to!

Edited by nic

1 hour ago, nic said:

part of the issue is the expectation that people have a right to a house/flat of their own.  When i wanted to leave home i had choices... rent a flat or buy if rich enough, bedsit, lodgings, join army or old bill and get accommodation or a job with tied housing.   now people want a house of their own straight away.

imho benefits should be limited to 80% of what you could earn on minimum wages for a standard 40 hour week.... and that includes housing etc.  if you choose to become pregnant after starting on benefits then they should not rise due to that kiddy.  your choice.

i know i am probably thought of as harsh, but i grew up with self employed parents who worked long hours, even when ill could not claim a penny as they were self employed.  i chose to pay into a mortgage scheme and not P*** all of it away on holidays etc so now cannot ever claim a penny.

i also spent too many years knowing that the job i got sent to with the people, ****** in the street midweek causing hassle in the early hours would not be people with a job to go to!

Not harsh at all, many of us who have worked all our lives for what we have, agree with you.:good:

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Syntax

1 hour ago, nic said:

Nic, you should probably be in therapy by now for having expectations placed on you for having self responsibility?

A lot of this stems from them expecting someone else to be responsible for their actions and futures?

On 16/06/2019 at 10:32, Lloyd90 said:

My partner and I both work decent jobs, paid for our house, mortgage, cars. 

We couldn’t afford to have kids atm, it’s damn expensive. 

People who don’t work can bang out 6 kids and not need to worry about childcare because they’re paid to sit at home all day not working. 

It reminds me of the movie idiocracy. 

Bang on Lloyd,we have a generation of kids having kids! The UK is turning into a holding pen for the Jeremy Kyle show.