"im mainly experimenting"

ditchman

always being short of decent antler....ive got to do "Duckand swing" knife which is a slightly smaller #7......so i found this quirqy bit of antler...the fitting end is a bit strange ...but when i cut it open it might be solid horn...which will allow me to cut deeper on the shaping on the underside..............

anyway its on the altar of St Fidler...and i shall look at it for a while before i start......................

got to cut the damn hedge now..which will take 3 days  so i should get back to the knife rounderbout wednesday....

:good:

funny handle 001tn_.JPG

funny handle 002tn_.JPG

funny handle 003tn_.JPG

funny handle 004tn_.JPG

funny handle 005tn_.JPG

funny handle 006tn_.JPG

funny handle 007tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just done half of the hedges, two days and knackered. Looked at tiding the shed but decided a tidy shed is the sign of a sick mind so modified the wing spreader block on the magnet. I had been given a self propelled 140 cc Brigs and Stratton mower which had been thrown out because the actuating cable had snapped so sprayed the underside of the deck and measured the cable. Found some old knives in the draw so may look at a restoration.

Your new project looks very interesting, good luck.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, you must be getting quite a lot of surplus Opinel handles by now Simon !!!!!!, look forward to see this new one when finished,  

Opinel dont make handles anymore, they get them from a supplier in Norfolk :lol:

27 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Looking good!

how are you going to finish the cut end of the antler?

as per usual 1/4" thick brass plate pommel mirror finished as will the blade will be and the antler scrubbed with wire wool and oiled.......the bare end will be cut back a bit more yet..

similar to the pic below

fin knife 003tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

26 minutes ago, Duckandswing said:

It’s maybe a ridiculous thing to say but knowing that’s being crafted for me makes me a bit emotional.

there there.......the profile looks similar to a humpback whale...........what do you think ?

Edited by ditchman

42 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Very nice finish...that's given me an idea for "capping"  my next stick instead of using horn &/or bone. How do you get the pommel so close to the contours of the antler without 'scuffing up' the antlers patina?

start rough .....................finish smooth............and a good set of magnifying glasses...sometimes you need to round it off and sometimes because of the finish you have to take a little bit......the handle will tell you what it wants....

fin knife 006tn_.JPG

finished 004tn_.JPG

harry fin 003tn_.JPG

harry pot 2 003tn_.JPG

twice 018tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

14 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Yep 👍 

good idea to cap off a piece of antler with brass or copper...bronze....for a stick...........now that would be unique.........

even better........cap off a stick with an opinel knife...the stick needs to be a hard dense wood....like yew....blackthorn.....NOT HAZEL....

Edited by ditchman

Right that's top of my rainy winter day project list!

Fortunately I've got loads of brass bar and Rod . I think I will drill and tap a short stud into a disc , drill out antler for stud, two pack epoxy then file away anything that doesn't look like a pommel

35 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Right that's top of my rainy winter day project list!

Fortunately I've got loads of brass bar and Rod . I think I will drill and tap a short stud into a disc , drill out antler for stud, two pack epoxy then file away anything that doesn't look like a pommel

sound and good enough...........i solder in a couple of studs to act as anchors.........same sort of thing..

pommel 004tn_.JPG

old opinel 012tn_.JPG

old opinel 013tn_.JPG

old opinel 014tn_.JPG

I'm afraid that I lose patience with finishing, somewhere between fine filing and medium emery cloth, so most of my stuff on the bike is "satin" finish - much to the irritation of my clockmaker father - so I really respect Ditchie's craftsmanship. I know how damn difficult it is to get a finish like that.