"im mainly experimenting"

ditchman

31 minutes ago, amateur said:

I'm afraid that I lose patience with finishing, somewhere between fine filing and medium emery cloth, so most of my stuff on the bike is "satin" finish - much to the irritation of my clockmaker father - so I really respect Ditchie's craftsmanship. I know how damn difficult it is to get a finish like that.

hello, get your self a Linisher machine

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

.cap off a stick with an opinel knife...the stick needs to be a hard dense wood....like yew....blackthorn.....NOT HAZEL....

I think that would be a nick in the eyes of the local constabulary. I made a "foraging stick"  Just a normal antler thumb stick but the antler head was removable and had a mushroom picking blade embedded into it. I bored the stick out to accommodate the blade, But comes under the category of a concealed blade the same as a sword stick, and hence frowned upon by the law.

Shame because I thought it was a damn fine idea.

Cracking work by the way as usual Mr D.:good:

Edited by fatchap

9 hours ago, Diver One said:

I use a combination of Linisher, 10mm air driven belt sander, air angled die grinder with Roloc discs.....they certainly take the tedium out of the "roughing out  stage"

imagine having to do all the roughing out with a file...............christ...you would be worn out for the rest of your life :lol:

4 hours ago, fatchap said:

I think that would be a nick in the eyes of the local constabulary. I made a "foraging stick"  Just a normal antler thumb stick but the antler head was removable and had a mushroom picking blade embedded into it. I bored the stick out to accommodate the blade, But comes under the category of a concealed blade the same as a sword stick, and hence frowned upon by the law.

Shame because I thought it was a damn fine idea.

Cracking work by the way as usual Mr D.:good:

if the stick had a folding knife on the end of it...would it be either

1. a knife with a long handle.....or
  2. a spear with a folding head
  3. a very short sword stick.........

as you say a really useful tool for the country man/woman............but the plod ...i think would view it differently...:hmm:

im bereft.........................

just taken my jack pyke cammo peaked hat out of the washing machine and it has disintergrated.............i may be reasonable at grinding bits of antler ...but im useless at other things..:lol:

me at 001tn_.JPG

me at 002tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

On 17 June 2019 at 13:05, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Still got my hedges to do, just done the lawns and washed some bed linen!

You and Ditchy have shamed me into doing my front hedge now that the resident blackbird has bought her brood off. Did it on Saturday morning, comprising of some hawthorn. The day after, and ever since, I`ve come out in a rash on arms and body, due I`m sure to the dreaded brown tailed moth caterpillars. Previously, I`d cut out the tents a couple of months ago and thought that`s the last of those little critters. How wrong was I ? Inspected the hedge before I started just in case but found two or three AFTER I`d finished. I`m hoping that the antihistamine tablets and calomine stuff will reduce the itching, but having now googled about the rash, I now understand that it can last for months. 

Thanks for the hedge trimming reminder chaps :mad:

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

imagine having to do all the roughing out with a file...............christ...you would be worn out for the rest of your life :lol:

In my bijou workshop I don't have any space for much more than a lathe, drill press, bench grinder and big vice.

I find filing quite therapeutic, but I must admit that I am looking forward to setting up my old man's lathe/mill in place of my old lathe, which should take out some of the donkey work.

I still can't be ***** to finish to your ( or my father's) standards

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

just taken my jack pyke cammo peaked hat out of the washing machine and it has disintergrated.............i may be reasonable at grinding bits of antler ...but im useless at other things..:lol:

me at 001tn_.JPG

me at 002tn_.JPG

Faulty workmanship there definitely a warranty issue 

strongly suggest you contact the manufacturer with a strongly worded letter 

😊👍

just taken my jack pyke cammo peaked hat out of the washing machine and it has disintergrated.............i may be reasonable at grinding bits of antler ...but im useless at other things..

Hat Donor required!

3 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

You and Ditchy have shamed me into doing my front hedge now that the resident blackbird has bought her brood off. Did it on Saturday morning, comprising of some hawthorn. The day after, and ever since, I`ve come out in a rash on arms and body, due I`m sure to the dreaded brown tailed moth caterpillars. Previously, I`d cut out the tents a couple of months ago and thought that`s the last of those little critters. How wrong was I ? Inspected the hedge before I started just in case but found two or three AFTER I`d finished. I`m hoping that the antihistamine tablets and calomine stuff will reduce the itching, but having now googling about the rash, I now understand that it can last for months. 

Thanks for the hedge trimming reminder chaps 

OB

Gloves and long sleeves next time then?

well we are getting there.............blade has been fitted...just need to finish cutting the slot.....which is not quite exactley where i want it  but should be ok.....i have to comprimise with the slot on every knife as i have to deal with 2 curves and the position of the blade....thats why these knives could never be made on a machine....:good:............because this knife is shaped like a hump back whale i shall call it "Free Willy"...

blade fit 001tn_.JPG

blade fit 002tn_.JPG

blade fit 003tn_.JPG

blade fit 004tn_.JPG

blade fit 005tn_.JPG

blade fit 006tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

me at 001tn_.JPG

me at 002tn_.JPG

Don’t worry Ditchie, a new one is in the post

16 minutes ago, ditchman said:

well we are getting there.............blade has been fitted...just need to finish cutting the slot.....which is not quite exactley where i want it  but should be ok.....i have to comprimise with the slot on every knife as i have to deal with 2 curves and the position of the blade....thats why these knives could never be made on a machine....:good:............because this knife is shaped like a hump back whale i shall call it "Free Willy"...

blade fit 001tn_.JPG

blade fit 002tn_.JPG

blade fit 003tn_.JPG

blade fit 004tn_.JPG

blade fit 005tn_.JPG

blade fit 006tn_.JPG

That handle shape looks comfortable, it seems it will fit the hand nicely! 

Just now, panoma1 said:

That handle shape looks comfortable, it seems it will fit the hand nicely! 

it sits nice either in the left hand or the right..........i was quite surprised.............i still say every single one of these knives is a little adventure for me...as you dont know what you are going to end up with..

Just now, ditchman said:

it sits nice either in the left hand or the right..........i was quite surprised.............i still say every single one of these knives is a little adventure for me...as you dont know what you are going to end up with..

Oh yes we do, it is always a wonderfully crafted one off and are greatly prized by those lucky enough to receive one.

7 hours ago, ditchman said:

if the stick had a folding knife on the end of it...would it be either

1. a knife with a long handle.....or
  2. a spear with a folding head
  3. a very short sword stick.........

as you say a really useful tool for the country man/woman............but the plod ...i think would view it differently...:hmm:

Although a priest with a knife or a knife with a priest 🤔🤗🤫😊

1 hour ago, dead eye alan said:

I'll second that as a very lucky recipient.  :good:

You beat me to it. I’m also very lucky to be a recipient of a wonderfully crafted Ditchy knife which is treasured and used almost daily.

OB