"im mainly experimenting"

ditchman

17 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

You beat me to it. I’m also very lucky to be a recipient of a wonderfully crafted Ditchy knife which is treasured and used almost daily.

OB

+1 . These knifes have to be seen and used to appreciate the work that goes into them also the skill . Mine is in my pocket every time I go out in the field .

harnser

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gloves and long sleeves next time then?

You're right there TC. I always amaze myself at my own stupidity. Especially, as I posted about these last year and also warned my neighbours of the dangers of the caterpillars. Age doesn't appear to give me any more common sense :hmm:

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

20 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

You and Ditchy have shamed me into doing my front hedge now that the resident blackbird has bought her brood off. Did it on Saturday morning, comprising of some hawthorn. The day after, and ever since, I`ve come out in a rash on arms and body, due I`m sure to the dreaded brown tailed moth caterpillars. Previously, I`d cut out the tents a couple of months ago and thought that`s the last of those little critters. How wrong was I ? Inspected the hedge before I started just in case but found two or three AFTER I`d finished. I`m hoping that the antihistamine tablets and calomine stuff will reduce the itching, but having now googled about the rash, I now understand that it can last for months. 

Thanks for the hedge trimming reminder chaps :mad:

OB

I picked a double handful on my way to chapel when I was six years old and took them home and planted them in the middle of our large farmhouse kitchen table.  Within hours my fingers had swelled and itched like mad.  My mum took me to the doctor and he said it was caterpillar rash and gave me some stuff to put on.  He also told me I would have it break out inside my fingers for the rest of my life.  I'm approaching 79 at a fast pace and each spring I have itching on the insides of my fingers but thank goodness for Germolene, a couple of applications and it subsides.

On 18/06/2019 at 20:25, ditchman said:

start rough .....................finish smooth............and a good set of magnifying glasses...sometimes you need to round it off and sometimes because of the finish you have to take a little bit......the handle will tell you what it wants....

fin knife 006tn_.JPG

finished 004tn_.JPG

harry fin 003tn_.JPG

harry pot 2 003tn_.JPG

twice 018tn_.JPG

I recognise the knife in the second photo. Have it in my hand (the knife that is !) as I type.

I still marvel at the hours of skilfull work that`s gone into it. 

OB

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I picked a double handful on my way to chapel when I was six years old and took them home and planted them in the middle of our large farmhouse kitchen table.  Within hours my fingers had swelled and itched like mad.  My mum took me to the doctor and he said it was caterpillar rash and gave me some stuff to put on.  He also told me I would have it break out inside my fingers for the rest of my life.  I'm approaching 79 at a fast pace and each spring I have itching on the insides of my fingers but thank goodness for Germolene, a couple of applications and it subsides.

From the age of 6 up to 79.

Does that mean that I may suffer similar problems for at least the next 73 years ?

Yep. The symptoms do get less but even this spring I had an itchy sensation on the inner part of my fingers and a reddening of the skin but no 'blebs' which I had for many many years.

Heh!!  It ain't life threatening so as I say a dab of Germolene the type with the anasthetic anti itch stuff does the job.  Did not have that back in the late fourties and fifties, just calomile lotion which was useless and I used to scratch them raw.

Ditchman himself is the great thread derailer and I see that one of his has been taken over.

Like Walker and Old Boggy I have known people suffer from the effects of these tent moth caterpillars (or their nests) and it's not nice. I see them in great numbers on Sea buckthorn at Theddlethorpe on the coast and I give them a wide berth. Keeping the dogs out is a different matter.

soooo....figgy has got to have his fix...:lol:

cut the brass plate ...drilled it for the anchors...silver soldered then in place ./.cleaned and degreased....then set in place with 2 part epoxy......i will leave that for 24 hrs....then cut the excess of and shape up and polish....might give it a semi round pommel on this one.....

polished the blade up..(getting all the grind marks out)...and the locking furniture........oh ...and cut the blade slot.........:good:

polish up glue 001tn_.JPG

polish up glue 002tn_.JPG

polish up glue 003tn_.JPG

polish up glue 004tn_.JPG

polish up glue 005tn_.JPG

polish up glue 006tn_.JPG

polish up glue 007tn_.JPG

polish up glue 008tn_.JPG

polish up glue 009tn_.JPG

21 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

This is looking so good 😊 

when you going to forge your own blade ?

come to think of it 

when you going to make one of these for yourself?🤭

my mate is setting up his milling machine wot he bought from a skool sale.....very nice piece of kit to....

then i will give him 2 pieces of stainless steel to mill up for me which i will turn into a Tanto point lock knife with polished horn scales...and a single scandi cut blade (like a shushi knife)....................but that is in the future.......

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

soooo....figgy has got to have his fix...:lol:

cut the brass plate ...drilled it for the anchors...silver soldered then in place ./.cleaned and degreased....then set in place with 2 part epoxy......i will leave that for 24 hrs....then cut the excess of and shape up and polish....might give it a semi round pommel on this one.....

polished the blade up..(getting all the grind marks out)...and the locking furniture........oh ...and cut the blade slot.........:good:

polish up glue 001tn_.JPG

polish up glue 002tn_.JPG

polish up glue 003tn_.JPG

polish up glue 004tn_.JPG

polish up glue 005tn_.JPG

polish up glue 006tn_.JPG

polish up glue 007tn_.JPG

polish up glue 008tn_.JPG

polish up glue 009tn_.JPG

I do like that Ditchie!👍