civic air con(2014)

sam triple

took car in for yearly service and mot at local Honda dealer ,asked them t look at air con as it wasn't working (just a re gas I thought ),was a bit shocked to find out according to them the whole system was junk £2k to replace everything,

have sourced most parts but compressor Is to the only stumbling block anyone know of where I can get one new or recon

cheers

last summer it was god send even sitting in traffic its good to have especially if you have a little one with you

apparantley its a common problem on these (wish someone had told me before I bought it ) like everything throw away items like these  are where companies makehuge profits

don't really want 2nd hand item with no warranty on it

7 minutes ago, sam triple said:

last summer it was god send even sitting in traffic its good to have especially if you have a little one with you

apparantley its a common problem on these (wish someone had told me before I bought it ) like everything throw away items like these  are where companies makehuge profits

don't really want 2nd hand item with no warranty on it

hello, i agree it does have some good points as you mention, hope you can get sorted, 

3 minutes ago, Medic1281 said:

I’d be tempted to look at the law regards being fit for purpose. You can write off a component as a failure as these things happen, but a whole system is another matter. 

Correct, and after only 5 years ?

I would definitely be taking it further with Honda.
Its alright saying its a 'common fault' that doesnt let them off the hook.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Correct, and after only 5 years ?

I would definitely be taking it further with Honda.
Its alright saying its a 'common fault' that doesnt let them off the hook.

they did send me on line questionnaire regarding their performance I let them know in no uncertain terms how annoyed and shocked I was that this system should fail in such a relatively short time ,im waiting for a reply

1 minute ago, sam triple said:

they did send me on line questionnaire regarding their performance I let them know in no uncertain terms how annoyed and shocked I was that this system should fail in such a relatively short time ,im waiting for a reply

I would definitely pursue that avenue, there are rules/guidelines regarding failure of non wearable items within acceptable time/mileage, especially when you have main dealer services and maintainence like you appear to have done.

Just now, sam triple said:

took your advice rewulf and rang Honda they are looking into it and ill hear from them within 5 days as to their decision ,not holding my breath but nothing ventured nothing gained

cheers

:good:I would be most surprised if they dont at least offer something.

If it fails , go above them to Honda UK , a letter /email costs nothing , but could save you hundreds.

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, sam triple said:

yes I rang Hondas main customer service ,explained the facts and the car has a full Honda service record

No way will Honda be able to wriggle out of it, complete system failure on a 5 year old car famed for its reliability ? I've had three Honda's over the years and things like AC or folding mirrors just don't break with them, the minimum you should accept is 50% contribution which at main dealer prices for parts and labour will still be a rip off. 

2 minutes ago, Hamster said:

No way will Honda be able to wriggle out of it, complete system failure on a 5 year old car famed for its reliability ? I've had three Honda's over the years and things like AC or folding mirrors just don't break with them, the minimum you should accept is 50% contribution which at main dealer prices for parts and labour will still be a rip off. 

lets hope, ill update when I hear back from them

Now do some research into legislation and your rites. Make notes. Quote the consumer law that you are referring to, show them that you are serious and well read. They will initially try to fob you off because that’s their cheapest option, but be persistent and keep going higher. Make all correspondence by email so you have a chronological paper chain, and cc In everyone high up in the dealership and Honda uk. 

rang them again ,being put forward to a priority should hear back this week ,they did ask why I had raised it as a possible warranty claim and not the dealer ,I explained the dealer wasn't interested in putting it forward all they did was present me with a quote of £2k , the phone went silent for about 10seconds followed by an "OH "

ok those nice people at Honda have been in touch , theyre  saying no extended warranty was taken out therefore air con is not covered but as a gesture of good will they can let me buy the compressor for £330inc vat ,plus 5hrs fitting@£100 per hour labour ,plus condenser,clutch assembly etc ,still comes in at £1500

been on line can get condenser  compressor for £330inc vat and delivery , got someone coming around later to double check what Honda are saying is correct then ill take it from there

Don’t accept that. That’s just their first offer. Again look at ??consumer? Act, should last a reasonable length of time. Reasonable length of time is subjective but 6 years has been mentioned previously. Find the relevant legislation and quote it back to them. 

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/9/enacted?view=interweave

Edited by Medic1281
Adding link

1 hour ago, Medic1281 said:

Don’t accept that. That’s just their first offer. Again look at ??consumer? Act, should last a reasonable length of time. Reasonable length of time is subjective but 6 years has been mentioned previously. Find the relevant legislation and quote it back to them. 

This.

They are extracting the urine.