More crop protection.

JDog

Mighty Mariner and I were long overdue a catch up so were arranged to meet somewhere yesterday afternoon. He had some laid barley with pigeon on to look at and I had some peas which had increasing numbers of pigeons getting on to fill their crops. In between speaking on the phone I bumped into the farmer and promised him that I would shoot his field that afternoon so MM's laid barley will have to wait for a few days.

When I arrived at the field there were 250 pigeon on it, all in the 'wrong place' so I bagged off part of the wrong place. It was the wrong place as it would have meant facing the bright sun and facing into what was probably a 20 mph wind. I chose to set up under a tall hedge over which the birds would fly to get back to the field. They did indeed chose that route but they were 100m high and were intent on landing anywhere in the field that was a long way from the pattern. In 90 minutes just a few of the two hundred or so returnees came close enough for a shot and MM proved his worth by shooting seven out of the first seven to be shot. I may as well have not been there.

When we could stand it no longer we moved to the other side of the field and had hides 100m apart. Needless to say the line stopped, not quite dead but only dribbles came our way and most of those came to me so I contributed my share of the bag of thirty or so pigeons which went to the game dealer.

thumbnail_20190617_172518_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20190617_172557_resized.jpg

On ‎19‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 10:03, motty said:

Another good effort from Lincolnshire's poshest man.

Surely it can't be long before one of these lines lasts all day. You are certainly putting in the effort!

In my four years in Lincolnshire I have only ever known a line to last more than a couple of hours on two or three occasions. That was not the case in the Cotswolds nor is it the case in Norfolk when all a decoyer has to do is to put out a rotary bird scaring device and pigeons flock up in great numbers and travel miles to get to it.