Nice Buck

oowee

Went out on Friday night and took a lad looking to shoot his first Munty. We spotted a few bucks about and on a likely hill and he set off in pursuit. Coming from over the brow of the hill to meet the buck face to face, the buck was off. Later on he who managed to bag a very scrawny Roe buck and later from a high seat he managed his first Munty, so it was a good night all round. 

Whilst he was gralloching the roe another buck came into the adjacent field and stood no more than 50m from me watching what was going on. It was a tidy buck that looked to be holding territory on the small wood (20 acres) the other side of the field. I don't have permission on the wood and knowing there is an active stalker there decided to make him a priority.

I went over on Sunday night and sat in a high seat but at 2030 I am pretty sure I heard him running through the wood as I climbed the seat. I saw a few about but not the one I wanted so called it a night at 2210 and walked back to the truck. Looking in another field by the truck I spotted what looked like the buck on the far side of the field but by then it was too dark and no shot was on. Back again at 1930 on Monday night, I parked in the same spot and got my kit together. There was the buck in the adjacent field head down in some long grass about 120m away but elevated from where I was on the track. I crawled under the gate, no mean feat with the binos, stick and rifle and made my way up the slope of the entrance behind the grass cover. At the top with another 2m of height I waited for the buck to drop his  head and popped up the sticks to take the shot.

A shoulder shot and he ran but was down within 20 yards. A chance to try out my newly created deer tray (thanks for advice from Ditchy). I left the cape in tact and the dealer bought the carcass and took the cape, in return for boiling out the head.

copy1.jpg

copy HT - Copy.jpg

Cheers everyone. Even this for the shed will be one in one out. Took more than a bit of stick on SD for shooting him to the point where the thread was closed down 🤣

Africa next year will be a problem though as I am booking a weeks safari to go with the wing shooting. God only knows what I will bring back. 😍

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Cheers everyone. Even this for the shed will be one in one out. Took more than a bit of stick on SD for shooting him to the point where the thread was closed down 🤣

Africa next year will be a problem though as I am booking a weeks safari to go with the wing shooting. God only knows what I will bring back. 😍

We must only shoot animals that are ugly and then no one complains..nice looking or fluffy ones shouldnt be shot.....ironic and ignorant....rant over :P

2 hours ago, oowee said:

Good one to take if you deserved it by shooting lots of poor heads previously. 

2 hours ago, JDog said:

Cheers Jdog.👍 Vast majority of heads, as you know are middle of the road or less so. It is nice to get a chance at a better one now and again. 

Forget all the farce about heads. You are shooting roe deer on a few hundred acres not looking after herding deer on a 20000 acre estate. You pay your money take what you want. I look forward to meeting a man on a small piece of ground leaving a buck that he is paying the rights for. Ignore the carp. I suspect it will be last pic on there.  

20 hours ago, oowee said:

That is what happens when expert "Deer Managers" get involved! :lol:

Slightly disappointed that it got shut down to be honest, I was only just getting warmed up...

37 minutes ago, Jonno243 said:

That is what happens when expert "Deer Managers" get involved! :lol:

Slightly disappointed that it got shut down to be honest, I was only just getting warmed up...

The SD is full of so called deer managers and best practice brigade many of whom haven't shot many deer at all but follow the pros like some sort of God **** licking. My management is see buck shoot buck , works for me. Carry on m8 and ignore the critics...

On 21/06/2019 at 16:38, JDog said:

? What makes a person "deserving" of shooting a nice animal? Is it a case that you can shoot 4 poor ones and then 1 nice one? Is it only the poor ones that do the damage....

Ultimately a lot depends on the reasons for shooting deer, is it management, control etc etc 

Good job the concepts that are applied to deer shooting arent applied to the pigeon shooters as there would be a lot more nonsense spouted on this forum. 

I think shooting ugly deer is far easier and is much more preferable...why I hear you ask..you can head shoot them whereas with trophy animals you cant :lol:

2 hours ago, WelshMike said:

? What makes a person "deserving" of shooting a nice animal? Is it a case that you can shoot 4 poor ones and then 1 nice one? Is it only the poor ones that do the damage....

Ultimately a lot depends on the reasons for shooting deer, is it management, control etc etc 

Good job the concepts that are applied to deer shooting arent applied to the pigeon shooters as there would be a lot more nonsense spouted on this forum. 

I think shooting ugly deer is far easier and is much more preferable...why I hear you ask..you can head shoot them whereas with trophy animals you cant :lol:

Your second rant on this single thread.

Thankfully the OP knew what I meant.

On 21/06/2019 at 13:54, oowee said:

Took more than a bit of stick on SD for shooting him to the point where the thread was closed down 

That'll be their "zero tolerance to bullying" policy kicking in.... but only after you've had a good going over by a few of the resident "experts" :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, Zapp said:

That'll be their "zero tolerance to bullying" policy kicking in.... but only after you've had a good going over by a few of the resident "experts" 

Very true. It's amazing how many on there read the rule book from behind a key board. Unlikely their feet ever touch grass but know what they are doing

4 hours ago, Rake aboot said:

Nice beast.

Never bothered about heeds myself as I can't eat them.

Am on SD a lot and can't recall that thread , must have missed it.

And don't get me started on Deer managers or DMG's   wtaf.

Never had a deer ask me yet for my paperwork.

I seem to recall you get stick for having lurchers...how dare you 😁

2 hours ago, Zapp said:

That'll be their "zero tolerance to bullying" policy kicking in.... but only after you've had a good going over by a few of the resident "experts" 

I got a mauling on there a couple of weeks ago about the possibility of shooting roe doe with antlers thinking, in the semi darkness and high crops, that it just might be a buck.

Surprised be that I got so many 'likes'.

1 hour ago, Grandalf said:

I got a mauling on there a couple of weeks ago about the possibility of shooting roe doe with antlers thinking, in the semi darkness and high crops, that it just might be a buck.

Surprised be that I got so many 'likes'.

In my case I didnt say or do anything, they simply seemed very happy to allow and join in with some PW cast-offs with axes to grind in giving PW (and me personally) a thorough going over through the course of several threads over a period of months, including accusations of financial impropriety.  Eventually they tried to force me to post, presumably to generate some more sport for those they wouldn't (or daren't) rein in, so I suggested they delete my account instead. 

It's a shame, as I used to think it a good forum, but I think it was bought out by people with vested financial interests from when I joined to when this came about.

In the end I think they just banned me because I wouldn't play their games, which is really interesting from a data protection standpoint since there is a legal requirement to delete if reqested these days, but that's for them to worry about, along with the demonstrably patchy interpretation of "zero tolerance"  :lol:

16 hours ago, JDog said:

Your second rant on this single thread.

Thankfully the OP knew what I meant.

:lol: Grant is just more tolerant of your comments then me. I laugh that you feel any objection to your somewhat ignorant comments constitutes a rant but I appreciate that you are a little thin skinned as previous comments have shown. Post a few pics of the deer you shoot and we can make suitable comments. 

18 minutes ago, WelshMike said:

:lol: Grant is just more tolerant of your comments then me. I laugh that you feel any objection to your somewhat ignorant comments constitutes a rant but I appreciate that you are a little thin skinned as previous comments have shown. Post a few pics of the deer you shoot and we can make suitable comments. 

Third rant. It must be a record.