Hide poles

Been looking at some Jack Pyke hide poles has anyone used these are they worth it at £42 for 4 with real tree Camo carrier or could someone tell me which a the best to go for in this price bracket cheers 

Edited by Jacko3275

8 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

wilkos and get washing line props

That`s what I use; made a little spike for the end which was secured using araldite and a pop rivet. Kick plate is a scrap of angle iron, again pop riveted in place. Job, jobbed. Simples. Twist upper portion to lock & unlock so no plastic thread to `strip` as often happens on the purpose designed versions.

Edited by JJsDad

I’m a bit of a tinker man if it saves me money of to Wilkos it is .... cheers

3 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Go in the craft section mate, loads on poles and such. Some swear by shop bought, I don't, but then I've got a bit of spare time to tinker some feet up. 

Those wilko poles extend from about 3ft to 6ft.

The washing line poles do work well, I used them for years but bear in mind they are a fair bit heavier than most and can be difficult to get into hard ground during the summer months adapting them cutting a point into the bottom of them can help as Ultrastu has suggested.

6 minutes ago, aga man said:

The washing line poles do work well, I used them for years but bear in mind they are a fair bit heavier than most and can be difficult to get into hard ground during the summer months adapting them cutting a point into the bottom of them can help as Ultrastu has suggested.

No need to point them in to hard ground, just use a guy rope and a tent peg on each corner, much easier!

I’ll make some spikes out of galvy tube that can be removed and used again if the pole breaks ... I have 4. 6ft Solid wood poles with steel spikes and top which a banner flag poles used on railway possessions but just thought they are too bulky to lug about

Edited by Jacko3275

hello, i bought 4  poles from home base and made in 3 sectioned  you can carry in a bag, although it did cost a bit more than normal hide poles and time making them, there is a post on here with photos,   still waiting to try out due the the N/E licence problems but thanks to Dave (tightchoke) i now have my G L copies and hoping to get out thursday

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

12 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

Paid £75 on eBay 

image.jpg

hello, it looks ok on the reviews, a 4 step amp and simple wire feed, those tinny  earth clamps can be a problem, but with no gas wire you do get problems with the roller and metalic build up in the liner, most are like a net curtain wire if you know these, for a tenner a  Mig torch Teflon liner will help, easy to change, and a tin of anti spatter spray

I can make the gas one splatter 😆 I just ordered the thicker wire 0.8 think it came with 0.6 ...I take it you are a welder/ fabricator of some kind 

16 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, it looks ok on the reviews, a 4 step amp and simple wire feed, those tinny  earth clamps can be a problem, but with no gas wire you do get problems with the roller and metalic build up in the liner, most are like a net curtain wire if you know these, for a tenner a  Mig torch Teflon liner will help, easy to change, and a tin of anti spatter spray

Built this with the mig at work

image.jpg

Edited by Jacko3275

11 minutes ago, Jacko3275 said:

I can make the gas one splatter 😆 I just ordered the thicker wire 0.8 think it came with 0.6 ...I take it you are a welder/ fabricator of some kind 

Built this with the mig at work

image.jpg

hello, yea old school apprenticeship 1965, still worth doing on your home mig, cheers

On 18/06/2019 at 17:09, strimmer_13 said:

Your off your head paying that, go to wilkos and get washing line props. £3 each 

100%    try Aldi they sometimes have some the last I purchased where £2..50 each.  I just drilled some light 30 mill box section to slide over the bottom about 9 inches and put a self tapper through to use as a ledge to tread them in.   Work a treat.